Twilight

Discuss films.
Kazu
Site Admin

Twilight

Post by Kazu » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:14 pm

It might be because I was in the middle of a theater of shrieking teenage girls full of crazy enthusiasm, but I really enjoyed the film. The story is actually very well-structured, and I can see why the book (and now the film) is such a big hit. Aside from some weak plot elements (such as the reason for James hunting Bella) and some weak effects, the film played pretty strong if you're willing to go with the flow. In this regard, it reminded me a lot of Hancock. In both films, the characters and the choices they are forced to make were clearly framed and emotionally effective, with plot and production playing second fiddle. Even with its flaws, the story still succeeds, showing you just how much a reader/viewer is willing to forgive a story on its details if only you get the characters just right.

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:49 pm

Hehe~ I agree. I'm a big fan of the books and wasn't disappointed. I'll just copy and paste what I wrote in my livejournal:

It's one of the best cases of book to film translation I've seen of late. All of the book's flaws, and all of it's charms were preserved. All of the scenes that I remember the most were there, and everything I didn't remember wasn't. They managed to tell the book's story in a visual medium without having to switch around characters or add scenes that weren't there. It was great! I also enjoyed it for giving me a fresh take on the main characters of Bella and Edward. In the book, they're so vaguely described so as to insert your own self into Bella, and whoever it is that's your dream guy into Edward. That's the joy of a book. But they can't do that in a film. It's visual, so it screams for specificity. I feel like they distilled the character's stories in a clean and clear way that actually made me feel emotion where as in certain parts of the book I felt nothing. For example, the meadow scene was always an eye rolling, hard to imagine seriously type of moment in the book. But in the film, because of the score, the color palette, the actor's expressions, I actually felt sad for these characters and found the moment to be very touching. Also, I never thought the vampire baseball scene could look so good.

The ending was horribly cheesy and fast, but it was like that in the book too. It's hard for me to complain too much. Anyway, I thought it was great and really enjoyed it. I also think it was really helpful for me to see something so long and rambling like the Twilight books distilled into film. It helped me distill my own book, and I woke up this morning full of ideas and clarity. Thanks, Twilight!

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:30 pm

:? I just can't escape this book this week can I? Good on you both for watching it though I guess, but I think I'd much rather take my chances on Bolt. At least you two enjoyed it though and that's interesting, and a straight book to movie replica sounds like I might need to give the scriptwriters a bit more credit.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:27 pm

Michele and I made a pact that I'd see Twilight with her if she'd see Bolt with me :D
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Rythem 'Scat' Cat

Post by Rythem 'Scat' Cat » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:48 pm

Just saw it yesterday and even though I'm not a huge fan of Twilight, I seriously enjoyed the film. Not a lot of reason was filled in and the special effects weren't so special, but yet everything else was fine. I think that the best movies brought up today are from books cause when you leave it to Hollywood to create a film there's just no hope. That's just me though.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:01 am

Rythem 'Scat' Cat wrote:I think that the best movies brought up today are from books cause when you leave it to Hollywood to create a film there's just no hope. That's just me though.
Whereas I am of the exact opposite mind, and maybe that's just me.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

Djaxx

Re: Twilight

Post by Djaxx » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:35 pm

I saw this movie a while back with my little sister. I'd have to see it again but from what I remember, it looked great in terms of mood and atmosphere but there were a few things that didn't translate very well... I vividly remember the classroom scene where Edward stormed out because he couldn't hand Bella's scent. I found that a little funny and took me out of the movie. I think there were a few other parts but as I said, I'd have to see it again. When the trailer for the second movie came out, I was pretty excited for it as the effects budget seemed to be significantly larger :)
But I've yet to see it. I heard from a lot of girls that it was great... but only because the guys kept ripping their shirts off... :?