Bolt

Discuss films.
agent44

Bolt

Post by agent44 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:04 pm

I just saw Bolt and was pleasantly surprised. If the aim of movies is to elicit emotion, Bolt shoots to kill. I really enjoyed it. And I've been getting flack for this, but I liked it more than Wall-e.

Also, I saw it in 3-d with the glasses and it's cool, but it detracted from the experience some what. It's my first time seeing a 3-d movie and I kept thinking about the 3-d instead of being totally immersed in the film. I'm not sure I'm a fan of it just yet. But from the looks of next summer's line up I'm going to have plenty of chances for it to win me over.

jcaffoe

Post by jcaffoe » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:45 pm

Yeah, 3D has always seemed really gimmicky to me in that there's no way it could ever serve the story. It makes the theater experience feel like a theme-park ride.

I saw Beowulf in 3d and it was one (of many) reasons I didn't really care for that film...

At any rate, I'll have to give Bolt a shot. Is this Disney's first film with Pixar backing them again?

Josh Mauser

Post by Josh Mauser » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:17 am

Frankly from an animation standpoint I think Bolt looks pretty nice, actually! Like the look of the characters too, I hope I get around to see it as well.

Maybe if they did something with those glasses to make them fit better on your face as opposed to feeling like the giant ones I had when I was seven, the immersion would be better. I honestly think the physicality is part of the detraction, although there's really no way to get around that. (But 3D contact lenses, there's a REAL recipe for disaster).

I hope it works out by the time Coraline comes out. So pumped for that one.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:53 am

jcaffoe wrote:Yeah, 3D has always seemed really gimmicky to me in that there's no way it could ever serve the story. It makes the theater experience feel like a theme-park ride.
Exactly, and I don't know why Disney is making all of their films like this these days. It's annoying. Like, in Meet The Robinsons. It would've been a phenominal film had they just focused more on the actual film instead of those damned cliched 3D elements. I'm talkin' about your:

Bubbles [In the future, we ALL move around via a 3D cliche!...come on]
Dinosaur
Hand that comes out and goes "Woah!"
Random multitude of metallic objects coming at the screen at once.

Seriously, I don't have much drive to go see Bolt and I don't think I will. I'll just rent it or something if I'm feeling that desperate for an animated film, because I could swear I've seen this plot before in a few Saturday Morning Cartoons.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:35 pm

Looking forward to checking this out.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:33 pm

:? Okay, my friend who has almost the exact same movie tastes as I do came back from Bolt and was saying how "Disney is back" because of it. I don't believe him but I'm intrigued so I will give this movie a chance and check it out...at the very least I'll be able to ogle the animation. I think this might be an interesting experience.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:40 pm

Much better than I expected. Some of their jokes fall flat, it's very commercial, and predictable. But it got me emotional. Especially the ending. I'll agree with Jake, I liked it better than Wall-E too. Then again, I like dogs. Oh yeah, and that hamster's annoying.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:51 pm

gau dog wrote: Oh yeah, and that hamster's annoying.
I thought that was a given. To tell the truth, he was the main reason that I didn't want to see the film.
EDIT: Okay, sorry I didn't word that properly, the hamster was what sealed me on my opinion of: "This movie doesn't look good."
Last edited by dark77778 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rythem 'Scat' Cat

Post by Rythem 'Scat' Cat » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:03 am

Bolt looks like a good movie and maybe I say that because I'm such an animal lover, but I kinda miss watching the 2-D classics. It feels like the magic of Disney is dying slowly.

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:05 am

I thought Bolt was much better than Meet the Robinsons. Even though it was Disney playing it super safe, it was entertaining. It was funnier than I expected and I ended up caring about the characters a lot more than I expected.

I'm not sure I'll ever need to see it again, but I'm glad I saw it once.

I think the kids in our audience really enjoyed it, which is great in my eyes. I think you can see that Disney is starting to return to making great movies. I wouldn't go as far as "Disney is back," but it's like they got their storytelling back first, and hopefully they'll start taking a few more risks and I think they'll be back!

I agree about 3D though - it never feels more immersive to me, it's just gimmicky. I think that at best, I end up forgetting after a couple minutes that it's even in 3D until something huge pokes out of the screen unnecessarily. And at worst, it can sometimes give me a bit of a headache and camera moves can look really weird.
I keep a sketchblog here

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:32 pm

Just saw Bolt, and I really enjoyed it. Jake's right in that the film is emotionally powerful, as I found myself getting teary-eyed for a good portion of the second half. I also saw the film in 3-D and I have to admit that I was won over. The trailers looked more like the headache-inducing 3-D of old, but the film itself looked really great, and while I don't know if the 3-D made the experience more immersive, it sure was fun to look at. The kids in the theater seemed to really dig it, too. Anyway, really good film with a strong story, and 3-D is now okay in my book.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:29 am

I wonder how much influence Lasseter's executive producing had on it. Sander's version looked interesting but I doubt I would've liked it better; he's too quirky for me. Bolt's story kind of reminds me of Toy Story. Some basic ideas get recycled. Buzz and Bolt both believe in their "brand" character, get lost, pair with buddies to find their owner.

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:50 pm

I VERY much enjoyed this movie. I thought it was better then WALL-E and Cars. This to me felt like a Finding Nemo. I didn't find the hamster annoying, he actually cracked me up quite a few times. The story telling was strong and the movie was really fun and entertaining.

The 3D was really well done in my opinion. In fact the ONLY time they threw in gimmicks was when they where doing the actual tv show of Bolt which I found pretty funny. Kind of like they were admitting why 3D is generally used.

I think we are on the cusp of 3D being used to actually make really good looking, cool movies, and not stupid tricks. I think it's starting with Bolt (possibly others that I haven't seen)

Pixar has left me feeling very "eh" for the last few movies I've seen from them, and this really got me out of the theater pumped and ready to tell stories.

I give it an A.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:06 am

Okay, so you all convinced me to go see Bolt today and I saw the 3D version as well at 10:10pm with no kids in the audience, just night owls who were kids at heart [or on a date, or both]. It was great. I really, really liked the movie, and I did find myself crying at points in the film and quite unexpectedly too. I didn't really feel for Bolt, I was sort of along the lines of "Who cares" when it came to him, especially in the opening action scene, which is sssllloooowwww.

The whole movie was all about Mittens, every time she was on screen, my attention totally diverted to her over Bolt the whole film. She was amazing: The Edna Mode of Bolt, with a dash of Miss Kitty, and I'm so happy that she got more than her fair cut of screen time. I'm very glad that I saw this movie in 3D because of her, as I wanted to just pick her out of the screen sometimes and give her a kitty-nuzzle.

Then there's Rhino the hamster, who when he first appeared, I slapped my hand to my face and groaned "Oh god, here we go," expecting the movie to take a spiraling plummet towards the trash heap, but instead, I found that while Rhino was annoying [I think he killed the word 'awesome'], he was only on screen for as long as the story needed him to be, and shut up for the rest of it, making him a far more special and sympathetic [though still annoying], character. He was absolutely necessary to the story, because if it wasn't for him Bolt would probably be talking to himself and getting way too anxty, which Rhino had no time for. He kept the story rolling along with his magical Darth Vadar ball.

Gau, I totally agree about the Toy Story moments, and I think that's the first thing I didn't like about the film , but it couldn't be helped. I went into the film expecting it to play out exactly the way that I thought it would, but I must say that it didn't linger on the points that I was worried about. It made it's Toy Story 1 and 2 moments, then moved on.

The second thing that I didn't like about the film was the soundtrack. Even if it is Miley Cyrus's amazing singing voice (yeah, yeah laugh, you know you get that one song stuck in your head too), it's still country music and it's annoying. I just pretended that it was some other song instead.

Now I'd like to talk about the 3D glasses bit. Yes, I agree with Kazu that it's totally worth seeing it in 3D, as much as I hate to admit it. It looks good, but the technology is still really annoying because when I start thinking about how cool the 3D is, it breaks the illusion of the film's reality, and then I get all annoyed. I'm happy to report that there are no memorable bubbles, pointy things, dinosaurs or "look at my hand!" moments, but I can't say that the 3D wasn't without a couple more subtle gimmicks, ie the pepper spray and the 3D Disney logo. By the way, I'm sold on seeing UP! in 3D now as well.

Oh yeah, right, did I forget to mention that Disney Studio's animation is phenomenal? Even though I think this movie still could've done well in 2D, everything that I remembered that I loved in terms of the animation from Meet the Robinsons transitioned into Bolt, and then some. When I wasn't busy looking at Mittens and her enormously cute eyes and raggedy fur texture, I was ogling the definition of one single blade of grass from the other...and the water! I could go on for hours about the water animation...but I won't, just take everyone's word here for it. I might go as far to say that it tops Wall-E if it wasn't for it's lacking "originality", but in terms of classic feel I say it's an A, hands down and two thumbs up. Anyways, see Bolt. It's awes- I mean, fantastic...stupid hamster.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:49 am

Went and saw this with Josh Ulrich and I think he summed it up best when he said he and I were laughing harder than anyone else in the theater including the kids. This move entertained the pants off of us. The 3d animation too a huge leap forward for Disney, who while they own Pixar, has kind of suffered in quality when put next to them. This film look gorgeous and the story was so engrossing and fun. Easily the best animated movie of the year. This one reminded me of what I love so much about Disney compared to every other animation house in the world.

The 3d experience was pretty cool. It wasn't obnoxious, or over the top. In fact it felt more like the movie had 3d thrown in after the fact. What it did do though was create an engrossing environment that felt more real because of the 3d. It was, as Rhino would say, Awesome!