Star Trek

Discuss films.
dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:50 am

Question:

Do you think that the use of a younger cast here in this film will pull in new people to watch Star Trek of the younger generation who might not have seen it before (and if so, where would they go with it), or is this movie supposed to be just for the fans? Or is it both?
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

jcaffoe

Post by jcaffoe » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:54 pm

anthony wrote:i am so STOKED for this!!! YEEEAAAAAUH!

i might regain the ability to look at this movie critically once i get over how BALLIN' this trailer looks.
hahahahahaha

I'm right there with you, and I have never seen an episode of Star Trek in my life.

I think that answers your question, dark

agent44

Post by agent44 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:25 pm

dark77778 wrote:Question:

Do you think that the use of a younger cast here in this film will pull in new people to watch Star Trek of the younger generation who might not have seen it before (and if so, where would they go with it), or is this movie supposed to be just for the fans? Or is it both?
It's an adrenalin injection into a dying franchise. JJ Abrams claims to be making the movie for movie-lovers and not just for fans. And with every other franchise getting a reboot, why not do star trek?

I'm stoked for this movie, but a friend at work says it just looks like Star Trek 90210.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:28 pm

:) Okay, so it wasn't just me and my interpretation of the trailer. Seriously, with Star Trek's ancient background, I think that this will be a good thing for it then, because even if it is Star Trek 90210, it will at least get a younger crowd interested in it, and might start watching it from the beginning again and then appreciate Star Trek without the 90210 aspect of the film, which I think will be a good thing. The [rhetorical] question then is, what will they do to follow this up?
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:21 pm

dark77778 wrote:The [rhetorical] question then is, what will they do to follow this up?
Something not nearly as good, probably. That's usually how these things work.

*cynical man is cynical*
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:46 pm

Abrams also wrote the film Regarding Henry very early in his career, and I remember really loving it as a kid.
Oh wow, I did not know that. I watched that movie like fifteen times when I was a kid.

I'm pretty stoked about this Star Trek film. Abrams hasn't let me down as of late. Any time he gets the freedom to really geek out from beginning to end in a film or show, it's brilliant. Even vomit filled cloverfield was an awesome ride. I bought the dvd and watched it again, when the stomach started churning I reached for the pause button... Fool me once cloverfield

With Damon Lindelof on board, this has to be good times.

Michael J. Dowswell

Post by Michael J. Dowswell » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:24 am

There's a 5484 x 2332 res image of the new enterprise out there on the interwebs I didn't know about, here below.

http://img.trekmovie.com/images/st09/st ... cc1701.jpg

---
Michael J. Dowswell
Independent Animator/Director

http://www.studiotacitus.co.uk
http://mikedowswell.blogspot.com

otisframpton

Post by otisframpton » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:21 pm

My first impression, based on the trailer?

While the trailer was visually amazing, it feels more like fans pretending to be the characters, rather than actors playing the characters. They look like very impressive Comic-Con attendees. It's almost similar to the way I felt about Ledger's Joker when I first saw pics of him in the make-up.

I'm starting to lean toward "it was a bad idea to re-cast these parts with new actors".

The Original Series was not like Batman or Zorro or Sherlock Holmes. These characters are linked with specific actors in a way that makes re-casting a dangerous game.

I dunno. I'll see it for sure and hope for the best. I really miss Trek. A lot. So when I say I hope for the best, I mean it. I'm a Trek fan all the way. I love every TV series in different ways.

But I fear that when I leave the theater after seeing this film the first thing I'll want to do is watch "Amok Time" or "The Trouble With Tribbles" to mentally re-boot.

-Otis

Michael J. Dowswell

Post by Michael J. Dowswell » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:07 pm

There's now a review of the film here.

---
Michael J. Dowswell

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:50 pm

The more I hear about this the more excited I get. I've never been a huge trek fan, although I watched it. But if you ask me, there just aren't enough good spaceship movies, and this looks like a great one!
I keep a sketchblog here

Felix

Post by Felix » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:40 am

First off I'm a Trek fan, like a few already posted - I'm not a 'Trekkie' but I have followed most of the series. Except perhaps DS9, never really enjoyed that.

Secondly, I can't stand Abrams recent films. As most people in this thread seem fans of these films, I hope I'm not treading on anyones toes, but Cloverfield was a mess. The hand held camera idea is good only for very short periods, maybe a minute at most. MI3 was wayward with the story being left behind to the visuals; And if anyone watches Fringe, well thats a dead end every episode story-wise, even for a series (where the overall story should permeate each episode but often isn't the sole focus).
I haven't seen Regarding Henry, but I'll have to check it out.

I cannot wait to see Star Trek, but I'm hoping for that feel of Star Trek and not a bunch of glitzy explosions and perculiar camera choices with dead end plot twists, to which I now associate Abrams and his chum Michael Bay.

:?: :arrow:
Like one post said, "Star Trek is pure science fiction", I get the impression this will be another visual piece with the Trek theme thrown on for franchise weight.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:33 pm

I'm looking forward to the movie, but to let anyone here know just in case:

there are a set of four comic books which are is the "official" prequel to the movie, much like how the transformers movie had one, as well as the upcoming sequel.

Judging by what I've read, I can see why they put them out. The books tell you pretty much tell you who Nero is (was) and why he's doing what he's doing, along with other questions you might have had. In fact, they probably could have made a movie from the books and then used this upcoming movie as a sequel.

Michael J. Dowswell

Post by Michael J. Dowswell » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:32 am

I've been worried about the film for a long time now...and am still worried. but then again...I'm a worrier!
Michael J. Dowswell

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:59 pm

The more I see, the more interested I am. I'm looking forward to some fresh takes on these characters... to see if they truly have life beyond the original actors. I think it will be a good test of the viability of the original series. I have always enjoyed the new series (especially DS9) much more than the 60's show.

Should be a fun ride.
Image Image

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Wed May 06, 2009 6:58 am

hey guys! i was able to catch an advanced screening of this last night, and it was great! it was so refreshing to watch a sci-fi movie that was just...fun. no silly politics and gray areas. just good fighting evil in spaaaaaace. with an emphasis on the characters rather than special effects (although the effects were fantastic). i wish abrams directed the star wars prequels now. ;)

trek fans are going to love this. there are so many nods to the original series and movies. lots of easter eggs. what's great is abrams didn't really change much at all. all of the themes and designs and silly accents- even their outfits are left intact. they were just enhanced for today's audience- and it works really well. i thought this was going be more of a reboot, but it honestly felt more like a giant hug to the original series. it's like everything that was great about it without the ham. all it needed was to be taken seriously, and everyone involved did a great job of that.

my only nitpicks weren't necessarily with the movie itself but with the design of a film like this. like all prequels (which this sorta is and not i guess- to be a bit cryptic for those who don't know anything about the plot), you never feel that the characters are in any real sense of danger, because, well, you know they are important to later films. and with such a large ensemble cast, you don't really get to spend a lot of time with some of the more minor characters. although honestly, i was never tired of seeing kirk and spock on screen. pine and quinto did an excellent job of making those charters their own. and i suppose that's what we have sequels for too. lastly- i would have liked to see more backstory and motivation behind the films villain, nero, although again- it wasn't HIS story- it was kirk and spock's.

i also have to say that i loved michael giacchino's score. it's similar to how he scored speed racer with integrating little snippets of the show's theme into his own cues, saving the more familiar overtones for the moments that really call for it. he didn't overdo it, which was awesome. he's definitely become one of my favorite composers over these past few years (his next film is Up!).

so yeah- i highly recommend this. don't go in expecting to be challenged or amazed. just go in expecting to be entertained and having a really fun time. i think i might even go see it again on friday, just to see it with an opening night audience.