Discuss films.
Michael J. Dowswell

Star Trek

Post by Michael J. Dowswell » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:25 am

Star Trek

Director: J.J. Abrams
Writers: Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman

Release date: May 2009

I don’t know if there's a Star Trek thread yet, well, I did have a quick look but couldn't see one. It's definitely one of the few films I'm looking forward to, but, at the same time, am worried about how it might turn out.

But, I really love Star Trek, and so, am happy to see another film being made. It's that sort of uncontrollable thing, that you want more...and there's something I feel special about this because...well, it's what I call, pure science fiction...what I mean by that is, space ships in space, and ray guns and so on...full on alien species. And honestly, we don’t seem to get much of that in big budget feature length style.
Last edited by Michael J. Dowswell on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael J. Dowswell
Independent Animator/Director

http://www.studiotacitus.co.uk
http://mikedowswell.blogspot.com

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:32 pm

Though should Spock be so young.

wendy w

Post by wendy w » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:39 am

Personally I think they should stop looking back and start looking forward again instead. Making Enterprise was a mistake in my opinion and I think recasting the original is as well.

The past is done. I want to see what the next Enterprise crew is going to be like. I want to see Parcard's replacement, not one of his predecessors.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny says you need to read

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:22 am

I think this movie is going to be great, hands down. I've been eagerly awaiting it since this time last year.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

Og

Post by Og » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:21 am

Entertainment Weekly ran a nice article on this, including JJ Abrams awesome, optimistic approach to developing this film, and to life...
ImageImage

Michael J. Dowswell

Post by Michael J. Dowswell » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:50 am

Thanks for that link Og, was a great read.

I just saw the trailer.

MAN, I think folks will either hate or love this trailer...I’m in the love crowd (for the moment)...the simple fact here being, that this looks, like, a completely different version of Star Trek…a *drastically* different version...this to me is quite a bold move, fresh, and...I respect it. Hate or love it when the day comes that I see it...the respect will always be there for the effort to do a different thing with it. It may work, it may not work...it’s a risk, but you have to admire risk takers.

All we know at this time is, that J.J. Abrams apparently is more of a Star Wars fan than a Star Trek fan, and that he also loves Galaxy Quest a lot. You can see in this trailer that that’s the case actually, but it’s also sort of Star Trek meets Mission Impossible meets Star Wars meets Galaxy Quest. I happen to absolutely love Galaxy Quest, so this is super cool that J.J. Abrams might have a similar feeling at times in his film...that he’s thinking this way is good to me.

Galaxy Quest to me was very well made and very well meaning.
Last edited by Michael J. Dowswell on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael J. Dowswell
Independent Animator/Director

http://www.studiotacitus.co.uk
http://mikedowswell.blogspot.com

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:57 am

this is easily my most anticipated movie for next year. i wouldn't call myself a "trekkie" but i am fascinated with the whole world and themes that roddenberry created and i've kept up with most of the series. it looks like abrams is going to keep what i love about the trek universe intact while invigorating it with a whole new sense of realism and urgency. much like what they've done with the new bond films.

plus, after hearing how he handled speed racer, i'm just as excited to hear what michael giacchino does with the score. :)

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:13 am

I really enjoyed Mission Impossible 3 and Cloverfield, so I'm looking forward to what J.J. Abrams and his crew do with Star Trek. Abrams also wrote the film Regarding Henry very early in his career, and I remember really loving it as a kid. I do hope, however, he gets a bit less wacky with the camera over time, as he settles into the director's chair (Star Trek looks to continue the crazy camera moves). If MI:3 were shot a little more capably, I think it would have been a bigger hit.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:43 pm

So far JJ hasn't given me any reason to suspect that this will be a bad film. It might not get all the Klingon language pronunciation right or something, but as a Star Trek movie [or at the very least, as a piece of eye candy] it's going to be great.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:16 pm

This trailer looks great! Star Trek YEE HAW!!!!

I am not a JJ fan for the most part, but this movie could still be good.

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:48 am

I'm not a huge Star Trek person, but I'm pretty excited for this! It looks like the kind of spaceship movie I always hope will come along.

Spaceship movies are their own genre in my mind, and probably my favorite. Unfortunately there are not enough movies that fit the strenuous requirements for that category. :P
I keep a sketchblog here

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:56 am

Galaxy Quest :idea:

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:54 pm

It looks exciting, but what I'm really hoping is that it'll be smart. You know, the sort of social relevance/commentary that the original series paralleled in. Other than that, I am SO disappointed Chris Pine is not doing a William Shatner vocal impression. There's only one way to do captain kirk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bZKEhgieoc. Spock looks great, except when he looks like he's angry. That's not logical.

anthony

Post by anthony » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:38 am

i am so STOKED for this!!! YEEEAAAAAUH!

i might regain the ability to look at this movie critically once i get over how BALLIN' this trailer looks.

anthony

Post by anthony » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:43 am

P.S.

Space! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew!

hahahaha.