Star Trek

Discuss films.
thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Thu May 07, 2009 6:58 pm

Pretty much amazing.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Fri May 08, 2009 1:47 am

Yeah for what it is, it was exciting and cleverly done. The characters are well executed, setup, with plenty of homages. But it's not a brainy or thoughtful movie. Entertainment wise however, it's an A.

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Fri May 08, 2009 9:08 am

just came upon this, which i'm sure is just one of many, very positive review of the film:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... ertainment

it's playing on imax here in tampa for a short run. i think i'm going to go catch it again tomorrow on the BIG screen!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri May 08, 2009 10:50 am

*minor spoilers*

I really enjoyed it! It's a well-executed piece of entertainment, much like Iron Man. The way they logically explain the new cast with the alternate reality plot line is pretty clever. My one gripe is that the first scene is by far the most powerful one in the film. I would have loved to see Kirk's coming of age at the end of the film to come full circle and have as much of an impact (like in Speed Racer). Regardless, it all still works well, especially for its short run time.

pH

Post by pH » Sat May 09, 2009 2:40 pm

Totally excellent. It feels like a new flavor of sci fi-- really fun.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sun May 10, 2009 3:09 am

Chris Pine did fine for his role but the more I think about it, it was really a run of the mill performance. His kirk needed more quirk. Not quite as distinct compared with a Shatner or a Stewart.

The actors who portrayed Bones, Spock, Scotty, Chekov did pretty good.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon May 11, 2009 10:13 am

*SPOILERS *

Did anyone else think that Nero was like a stupid Bond villain? He had the chance to kill BOTH Spocks, Kirk, and Pike, but instead he wanted them to live and watch (which of course, always backfires)

Also how many Star Trek movies have there been about revenge?

Did it seem a little too easy to blow up the Vulcan planet?

I also think they got a little too carried away with their lens flares. It got blinding at times.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Mon May 11, 2009 11:10 am

I had so much fun watching this movie! I already know I'm going to want to see it again before it leaves theaters. I wish the Star Wars prequels had been that much fun. This was the spaceship movie I'd been waiting for.
I keep a sketchblog here

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Tue May 12, 2009 1:40 pm

after seeing star trek for a second time (which i wholeheartedly recommend in imax if you get the chance)---and enjoying it just as much a second time---i need to retract one of my comments i made about the danger our protagonists are in. the alternate reality they are in was much more clear-- meaning, i guess, that anything could happen. this article i came across further hit this home:

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles ... tory.jhtml

would abrams and crew consider killing off a core trek character to further emphasize this? i kind of both want and not want that to happen.

also- for those that have seen the film already, i found this little semi-prequel comic written by orci and kurtzman and drawn by paul pope:

http://www.wired.com/special_multimedia ... ldsCollide

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Tue May 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Thanks for posting that Trek Comic.