The Fall

Discuss films.
Sskessa

The Fall

Post by Sskessa » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:52 pm

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independe ... l/trailer/
*Note: The trailer has a lot of spoilers.

I think it was released over a month ago, but our theater tends to get movies a bit late. I thought it was a fantastic film. Characters felt very human and not like stereotypes, which is the usual thing that turns me off a film. The plot is surreal and dreamlike, driven by emotions rather than logic, and the visuals enhance that.

So, did anyone else see this movie and what did you think of it?

Michael J. Dowswell

Post by Michael J. Dowswell » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:45 am

Wow, I’ve not seen or even heard of this one!...just watched the trailer now, really nice trailer...felt slightly Gilliamy...lovely colours and locations and sound.

Always nice to here a bit of Beethoven!
Michael J. Dowswell
Independent Animator/Director

http://www.studiotacitus.co.uk
http://mikedowswell.blogspot.com

angeldevil

Post by angeldevil » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:03 pm

The Director is Tarsem Sinhg who did The Cell a few years back -- the reviews for The Fall have been pretty poor -- but I bet it has some good visuals.

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:34 am

I actually enjoyed The Fall a lot. I think I might be a little too prone to forgiving flaws in a beautiful movie, but I thought it was a really cool movie.
I keep a sketchblog here

maxdeth

Post by maxdeth » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:21 pm

I was really really excited for this movie because I loved the look of The Cell and I read an interview (I think in TheOnion avclub) with Singh about his thoughts on The Fall and it sounded like exactly what I wanted to hear. Ultimately I found The Fall to be quite disappointing because I think it could have been one of the best movies in a long time if he had just gone for it. I feel like he wimped out on the reality versus fantasy stuff.

Its 100% worth seeing just for the visuals and the little girl actress though. She is amazing, although I think they sort of tricked her into being so amazing if I can put it that way. What I mean is she knew on some level that she was in a movie and everything but I think they tried to hide the camera and didn't really give her lines or anything so most of her interaction with the guy is real to her. And the went so far as to script the story around what she came up with which ultimately let them down in my opinion.

I can't really get at the heart of my criticisms without major spoilers...

Sskessa

Post by Sskessa » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:35 pm

I'd really like to hear you criticisms, Maxdeath. Maybe you could put spoiler warnings around it? And if you happen to still have a link to the interview with the director, I'd love to read that. I can't imagine what he thought the movie should be that it wasn't.
And the went so far as to script the story around what she came up with which ultimately let them down in my opinion.
I read about this afterwards, that they let the little girl improvise. I thought the dialog was great while I was watching it. I enjoyed the real awkwardness that happens between people who have different native tongues. Do you keep asking "What?" until you understand each other, or do you just let it go? I think this is the first time I've seen that in a movie.

maxdeth

Post by maxdeth » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:07 pm

The interview is at: http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/tarsem
and well worth reading!

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My main criticism is with where the film ultimately went. It was alternating back and forth between fantasy and reality and early on there is a tidbit of fantasy and then a large chunk of reality to build the plot but as the film continues the ratio starts getting more and more even. The plot is being advanced by both fantasy and reality. Just around when he tries to commit suicide and we could either make the jump to permanent fantasy or have fantasy able to interact with reality (sort of along the lines of Pan's Labyrinth), I felt like he got scared off and confirmed that reality and fantasy are seperate and cannot interact with each other. I really wanted him to either leave it ambiguous or let them interact. I understand that this is a choice and not necessarily something I am allowed to criticize, but I really felt that that was where the movie was naturally heading and that he had to de-rail it because it would require him to dictate the plot to the girl when he preferred to have her come up with it.

Another criticism is with the ending: They get you so worked up with all the fantasy characters dying, and then they resolve it so suddenly and just cut to the old silent films. That did not work for me.

Also: The voice over during the fantasy scenes never settled down. Sometime we would fade into fantasy and just follow along with no voice over and other times they would keep having a conversation through the entire thing. Sometimes their dialogue kept pulling me out of the fantasy scene when I just really wanted to get into it.

Just writing this has made me want to see it again. The visuals were so great and the girl was so great its a hard movie not to like, but I also feel like I have already forgotten some of the problems I had with it. I will try to watch it again and report back more.

experiment626

Post by experiment626 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:32 am

i disagree, I thought the fantasy and reality were clearly separated through out the movie and that was clearly the intention. So it wasn't like Pan's Labyrinth at all in that the fantasy and reality parts intertwined.

I do however share your thoughts on the ending. It all did feel really rushed. I also felt that neither the fantasy nor reality halves of the film were developed enough for the maximum emotional impact that they were supposed to have.

Eitherway, the movie looked amazing. I just wish Tarsem had a second director to watch over the story a bit more which is my gripe with most 'beautiful' films, they focus too much on the visuals and sort of let the story fall back.
http://windykid.deviantart.com ...i got comics in there too but I'm too afraid to post 'em

patdzon

Post by patdzon » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:42 pm

I agree with Maxdeath. The visuals are the best thing about this movie. The story could have been better. Overall it's not bad, just OK for me...