Watchmen

Discuss films.
mr cow

Post by mr cow » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:09 am

so before the dark knight there are two trailers. a 2 sec harry potter teaser (voice over on a black screen and then only the logo pops up) and there is a theater full of screams and clapping from the sold out show.

and then watchmen hits. and that trailer- that trailer is impressive right? and when it's over. scattered clapping. just a handful. no one outside comics knows what watchmen is (and considering i was there for batman for pete's sake, i must have been in a theater full of heath ledger fans).

i'd definitely say the marketing dept has their work cut out for them.

i'm psyched though.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:31 am

Quote of the day regarding Watchmen from a coworker (not into comics):

"It looked stupid! I couldn't tell who was the good guy and who was the bad guy!"
Visit the Tragic Planet!

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:07 am

haha! yeah. i gotta feeling i'm going to be loaning out my watchmen gn to a lot of people before now and march.

i didn't realize that about the smashing pumpkins song either. i thought it sounded familiar too. very cool.

Sskessa

Post by Sskessa » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:19 am

Does it really matter if other people like it, as long as it's a good movie?

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:30 am

i don't think it matters if other people like it. but i think it's important for them to understand what it's about before making that decision. and if it is good, i hope it'll be successful. speed racer has to be one of the saddest financial movie stories of the year. i hate seeing that happen to great films. well, any sort of media really.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:31 pm

Joey wrote:"...I couldn't tell who was the good guy and who was the bad guy!"
AS IT SHOULD BE! :D

They've got a whole year to build buzz for this movie. The first trailer was for us, for people who have read the book, to reassure us that they want to make it just like the book, whether that is the truth or not. This is why they put it on before Batman and assembled it out of random clips that recreate memorable panels from the comic.

I'm sure future trailers will be aimed at a more general audience and give a stronger indication of what the heck is going on.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:12 pm

Sskessa wrote:Does it really matter if other people like it, as long as it's a good movie?
If we want them to make more.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:08 pm

Finally picked up a copy of Watchmen (I know, I'm terrible aren't I?) and I just can barely put the thing down to get on the internet for. It's fantastic, I actually passed about two hours reading it thinking I'd only been reading for ten minutes. It's quite confusing at times with all the names and whatnot but I think I have them all now and their histories. Still, I can see why and how people are saying it's unfilmable, but all the challenges seem to be about perspective\pov in a way...oh, and I really hope they put in the Dylan quote chapters or the songs or something along those lines at the start of every doomsday clock hour.

(Off topic; at the same time that I bought Watchman, I successfully converted my best friend to be a fan of Flight and subsequently graphic novels in general by showing him some shorts in Flight 4 and buying him Flight vol. 2. Thanks guys!)
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

Gunwhale

Post by Gunwhale » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:49 pm

New trailer!

http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/

I still cannot wait. It looks great.
Image Image

jcaffoe

Post by jcaffoe » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:05 pm

the latest trailer was underwhelming, I thought. Really poorly edited, and as much as I love Muse, the song doesn't fit at all (listen to how many times they had to chop it up...).

I also hope Zack Snyder doesn't consider the slow-mo sequences to be his cinematic trademark. I loved what he did with it in 300, but I don't think that same style of filmmaking will work here, and I feel like the film might suffer as a result.

Directors nowadays need to realize that there are more ways to shoot an action sequence than shaky cam or slow-motion.

Anyway, I'm still excited, if only because of Snyder's reverence of the source material, but I'm staying skeptical for now.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:18 pm

jcaffoe wrote:the latest trailer was underwhelming, I thought. Really poorly edited, and as much as I love Muse, the song doesn't fit at all (listen to how many times they had to chop it up...).

I also hope Zack Snyder doesn't consider the slow-mo sequences to be his cinematic trademark. I loved what he did with it in 300, but I don't think that same style of filmmaking will work here, and I feel like the film might suffer as a result.

Directors nowadays need to realize that there are more ways to shoot an action sequence than shaky cam or slow-motion.

Anyway, I'm still excited, if only because of Snyder's reverence of the source material, but I'm staying skeptical for now.
I think that just took every word right out of my brain. I endorse this statement 100%...save for the Muse part, they're okay.

Oh, also, was I the only one who got a "Leave Britney Alone?" moment going on with Dr.M?

Bookaroo

Watchmen movie trailer , busts and action figures !!!

Post by Bookaroo » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:42 pm

The wait for Watchmen is finally over... but who's watching them?

See the trailer here:

Check these cool hand-painted, cold-cast porcelain busts of Rorschach...

Watchmen Movie Comedian Bust

Watchmen Movie Ozymandias Bust

Watchmen Movie Rorschach Bust

Watchmen Movie Silk Spectre (Modern)

I invite you to my collectibles action figures site. Tons of figures collectibles links !!!

http://www.myfantasyweb.com/hollywood/actors.html

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:19 pm

I found that I'm able to go to the advanced screening at the Bloor cinema tomorrow ^^ I hope it'll be good.

Josh Mauser

Post by Josh Mauser » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:18 am

I don't know why I'm not sleeping right now, but I just got back and its fresh in my mind.

Because I decided to take a last minute plunge and read the TPB this week before the movie came out, it's impossible for me not to compare the film to it. Especially when the film follows the source so closely as this, save for a few things that affected my opinion greatly. So, I guess you could say, an un-biased Joe Movie-Goer perspective this is NOT.

*SPOILERS AHEAD - BOTH MOVIE AND BOOK*

You know what? The more I think about it, what's IN the movie is pretty spot on! It's the stuff that was left out that I thought really robbed folks of the emotional trip I took when I turned the pages of the trade.

I'm not even talking about the ending. I heard a lot of nerds going on and on about how they changed the ending. After viewing I'll say that this is a moot point. The ending change is pretty inconsequential. In fact, it might make MORE sense to even some book fans, as it's not nearly as elaborate of a reveal (although I liked the elaborate ending, actually...more stuff to consider, more connecting the dots, more meat period). The outcome afterwards is essentially the same, although it puts a pretty different spin on Dr. Manhattan's character.

What bothered me about the film was pretty much what I expected in retrospect. Not nearly enough character development to achieve the desired impact that was pretty much the whole point of this story. Granted, they tried to cover as many points as they could but frankly it still wasn't enough for me to generate an equal level of emotion that the TPB did. (and possibly, generate any real emotional response from the average movie-goer).

And the weird part was the stuff that they decided to speed through or omit was necessary to warrant what now looked like over-reactions from some of the actors/actresses later in the movie. (Example: when Silk Spectre breaks the Mars fortress over the realization of who the Comedian really was, from the film's point of view it seemed really overblown because they maybe spent 20 seconds detailing her reaction to the incident with him and her mother). Also, since I thought that Veidt's motives and psychology weren't given enough time to develop and sink in, it made Rorschach's sacrifice via "No compromise" seem really weak in comparison to the TPB.

It seemed like they emphasized all the wrong parts. The gore was insane, the sex scenes were juiced up. The fights extended. Who couldn't guess that Veidt was eventually evil in the film from the very beginning? So much for that reveal. In the TPB there's a 4-5 page spread of bloodied bodies hanging over the buildings of the blast site. It was gruesome, visceral, and most importantly it put WEIGHT on the actions of Veidt, how horrible it was, how morally screwed up his logic is, how great it is when Rorschach doesn't want to take any of it and walks out, and how DEPRESSING it is when Veidt pleads to Doc for justification and all he can say to him is "nothing ever ends." Why not focus on this massive detail as opposed to silly limbs flying and just how turned on Nite Owl gets in costume (important to his character, yes, but not to the whole scheme of things in the film).

so what! maybe I should shaddup and read the book again. I guess it just disappointed me. Seemed like a missed opportunity. I loved the stuff they got right (the casting was nigh perfect and the technical aspects of the film were extremely well done) and missed the things they left out. And I think the audience will be missing out as well (unless it drives them to read the book! :D )

EDIT: Man, I wish I had seen the Beat's review before I wrote this (http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog ... s-and-all/). It pretty much condenses all my babbling into a concise version.

Also, if you're a fan and haven't seen this yet, you've not LIVED:

Saturday Morning Watchmen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

Gunwhale

Post by Gunwhale » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:09 am

**SPOILERS**

I saw this tonight at IMAX. I really liked it, and I thought Snyder did a good job of honoring the book, but yeah, there's a lot in the book that he couldn't translate to film. However, there were two scenes that I thought he definitely could have given more attention to. One was the scene Josh pointed out, with Laurie and Jon on Mars and the reveal that Blake was Laurie's father. This was given so much attention and detail in the comic, I couldn't believe it was explained matter-of-factly in 10 seconds with a vulcan mind meld from Dr. Manhattan. But also, Ozymandias' reveal that he sent the bomb "35 minutes ago" seemed to be equally glossed over and not treated with the attention that the comic gave.

Other than that, I liked it. Rorschach was amazing. Jackie Earle Haley made the movie for me.
Image Image