Watchmen

Discuss films.
thirdeyeh

Watchmen

Post by thirdeyeh » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:28 pm

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:27 pm

I had a feeling it'd be soon, I saw the Spirit trailer and was like "Hey...the Watchmen one should be coming out sometime soon then." Sweet, thanks for posting this though *click*.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

Josh Mauser

Post by Josh Mauser » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:33 am

oooh...the spirit... *shakes head*

Watchmen looks like it could be really good though. I must read the book before then lest my friends berate me further. : )

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:10 pm

It was definitely cool seeing it right before The Dark Knight. It looks good.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:56 pm

Yeah, I'm really excited about this. Zack Snyder is proving to be quite a solid director, and I think his approach to this material looks good. I'm wondering how they're going to get the public to understand what it is, though. It'll be quite a challenge.

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:03 pm

I thought the book was okay (omg), but this trailer gets me all pumped to see it! :D I was happy to see it on the big screen. Can't wait!

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:10 am

Kazu: I'm with you, it is a vastly complicated movie. People I know who knew nothing about it had no idea what the preview was setting up. It was a great teaser, as a fan, but I can't wait to see the actual trailer. So far its pretty amazing looking though.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:46 am

Kazu wrote:I'm wondering how they're going to get the public to understand what it is, though. It'll be quite a challenge.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were going to try to make Watchmen the movie to superhero movies, what Watchmen the comic was to superhero comics. Does this make any sense? Evidence of layered references and retooling is already starting to appear in the trailer as the music is a slowed down version of the Smashing Pumpkins songused in the superhero movie uber-failure Batman & Robin. Again, will the public understand and appreciate this (if, in fact, it is pulled off)? We'll see...
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Sskessa

Post by Sskessa » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:37 am

Joey wrote:
Kazu wrote:I'm wondering how they're going to get the public to understand what it is, though. It'll be quite a challenge.
Again, will the public understand and appreciate this (if, in fact, it is pulled off)? We'll see...
I don't think it's too much of an issue. I've never read a superhero comic besides Watchmen, and I had no trouble understanding it. Maybe I didn't catch everything, but the plot, the characters, and the main theme all stand for themselves. If the movie keeps those elements clear, I think anybody should be able to enjoy it.

Harry Myland (IV)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:45 pm

I don't know why, but I just can't get into these high concept comic noir flicks. I liked Sin City to a point, but I didn't love it. I absolutely can't stand 300 (when I saw it in the theater my friend and I laughed the whole time for all wrong reasons), the Spirit looks terrrrible and Watchmen just, I dunno, it didn't do anything for me.

I mean, I respect the heck out the guys who are making these flicks, but, I dunno, meh.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:35 pm

Hey guys. I just saw this up on AICN. They did an animated Watchmen film based off the comic art. Kinda Flash style. It's pretty well done. You can download the first chapter here: http://www.ew.com/ew/static/watchmen/watchmen.html Then use that to get to the Itunes page for the free download. Or just go through iTunes I suppose.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:18 am

I saw that on Newsrama and was waiting for somebody to post that here. I think they're calling them motion comics and they plan to do a bunch of them.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:10 pm

Lol well leave it to me to post about it. I have to admit that I am one those fans that consider Watchmen to be the best example of the potential of the graphic novel medium so I am completely stoked. Though I really do think that they have a huge task on their hands with this one.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:41 am

thirdeyeh wrote:Lol well leave it to me to post about it. I have to admit that I am one those fans that consider Watchmen to be the best example of the potential of the graphic novel medium so I am completely stoked. Though I really do think that they have a huge task on their hands with this one.
I agree. It definitely is a big influence for artists and shows that a graphic novel is not just a comic book.

They must have left out a bunch of scenes. (eg. The pirate revenge story)
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:57 am

The only right way to do a Watchmen movie is to make it exactly like the book. From the trailer it looks like they've changed the costumes, but apart from that every scene looks like it's ripped right from the pages of the book. This is a very good sign. My hopes are (currently) high.

I mean they've got the Twin Towers, they've got Nixon, they've got the Vietnam War, they've even got a shot of the newsstand on the website. They might actually pull this thing off!
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image