Garden State

Discuss films.
Vera

Post by Vera » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:58 pm

I hated it and I want it to die. Jen's friend volunteered the term "college-sploitation" and I think it's dead on. Don't be fooled by the soundtrack, it's a mainstream romantic comedy poorly covered up in indie-film posturing. Somebody watched a bunch of good movies, picked out the bits they liked and assembled them into a trite, annoying mess. Boo.

neil

Post by neil » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:22 pm

Vera wrote:Don't be fooled by the soundtrack, it's a mainstream romantic comedy poorly covered up in indie-film posturing.
Yes. Thank you Vera. I just wanted to like it...

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:56 pm

Vera wrote:I hated it and I want it to die. Jen's friend volunteered the term "college-sploitation" and I think it's dead on. Don't be fooled by the soundtrack, it's a mainstream romantic comedy poorly covered up in indie-film posturing. Somebody watched a bunch of good movies, picked out the bits they liked and assembled them into a trite, annoying mess. Boo.
Haha! This was the vibe I got from the trailer. I'd imagine it would be hard for me to hate it, but yeah, it stinks of "college-sploitation" or "youth-culture-sploitation", in the same way Magnolia stank of "Robert-Altman-sploitation", but of course, I am such a film snob. :( I'll probably see it anyway. It looks kinda cute.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:04 pm

:::gasp::: I liked Garden State and really liked Magnolia too! :cry:
My name is Dave.

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:23 pm

yeah, you know, I also wanted to like it, but I just really couldn't. I don't hate it with a passion or anything, i guess the problem is that it's so "eh" and irritating.

I actually thought Natalie Portman was awful, or maybe just annoying: and I can't tell if I didn't like her acting, or I just absolutely hated her character - because I did.

It was completely trite. I agree it's "college-sploitation" which I was trying to come up with a word for earlier. But then it's not just that, it's like "beautiful-loser-sploitation" - I don't know. It just came off as narcissistic and trying too hard - which made me sit there and analyze Zach Braff...

It's werid because on the surface, it kinda talks about a lot of topics (loss, normalcy, being out of college and not knowing what to do, medication, fate-type thing, overcoming oneself, etc) - but it really didn't say anything at all, and the only thing that was different form when I went in to see the movie and when i came out, was that my wallet was $6 lighter.

neil

Post by neil » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:41 am

Coheteboy wrote::::gasp::: I liked Garden State and really liked Magnolia too!
Well hey, this Zach Braff guy has nothing on P.T. Anderson.
Sweet_Baboo wrote:It's werid because on the surface, it kinda talks about a lot of topics (loss, normalcy, being out of college and not knowing what to do, medication, fate-type thing, overcoming oneself, etc) - but it really didn't say anything at all, and the only thing that was different form when I went in to see the movie and when i came out, was that my wallet was $6 lighter.
Yeah I felt a bit hoodwinked by its lack of story as well. There's nothing really at stake... When the main character talks about feeling numbed to the world by his medication, it had about as much weight as if he were complaining about his haircut. (I mean, this really does happen to people, but I can think of a lot better dramatic possiblities that can arise from it, like guilt over not being able to grieve for the mother, or something.) And since he doesn't have a problem with his role in that past tragedy, it's not like there's any conflict or change for his character, other than falling in love in a tacked-on romance. Maybe the movie should really be about Ian Holm's character, I dunno.

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:45 pm

hmm... I saw "scrubs" for the first time today... weird. I can kinda see the connection between "scrubs" and "garden state" - no real story, just going from one quirky moment to another... thinking that if they throw enough random things at the audience, they will think it means something.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:52 am

Sweet_Baboo wrote:hmm... I saw "scrubs" for the first time today... weird. I can kinda see the connection between "scrubs" and "garden state" - no real story, just going from one quirky moment to another... thinking that if they throw enough random things at the audience, they will think it means something.
Don't be knocking Scrubs, now! Life is full of random quirky moments, but it's up to us to make something of it. That's what scrubs is, and by the end of each episode, everyone in the show learns something.
My name is Dave.

matt spangler

Post by matt spangler » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:52 pm

i loved garden state...makes me all warm n fuzzy inside. It is nice to see a small story make it to the big screen and be entertaining to watch. The soundtrack really was good and fit. “Such great heights” was an ok cover but still fit...i highly recommend this movie...but as i see here that isn't the general consensus

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:28 am

hmm... well, maybe Scrubs is (and probably is) somethinmg that grows on you after time, once you get the sense of humor.

I didn't have TV for five years, and watching it now, I feel like TV's changed drastically... and not just all the reality shows.

A lot of shows seem self-referencial. Like Scrubs, when the Zach Braff character waits for his obligatory "aww..." moment with his mentor, but never gets it. And that the show takes place in a hospital, but has nothing to do with the hospital. Similar is "Strangers with Candy" how it's style is afterschool special, but doesn't have the lesson learned, and is infact all about being crass. (I think I like Amy Sedaris, though) And also the Simpsons when they got all scatter brained and lost the story of the show. It became not about laughing with them, but laughing AT them, with them. (One show that does this really well is Family guy) well, i suppose there's different levels of this...

I'm not saying it's wrong, and it was kinda bound to happen. TV put out so many shows of the same genre, that it had to get a little po-mo. (postmodern)

I feel like in all these shows it's not about the message, but it's about the medium. Infact, "the medium is the message", as Marshall McLuhan might say. And I guess that phrase also applies to Reality TV.

sorry, just wanted to make my rant, we can go back to talking about Garden State.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:10 am

Well haha.. as long as you like Family Guy! But back to Scrubs, it kind of is relying heavily on how much you know about the characters. And it almost is kind of going through the same motions every week but with different, yet similar gags. It just kind of builds. And when you watch it regularly, you begin to wonder how they're going to build on those relationships formed... and somehow they manage to pull it off (at least in my opinion). It's a good show and I hope you give it another chance.
My name is Dave.

Derek

Post by Derek » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:45 pm

The only problem with this movie--the only one--is that it makes me wish Natalie Portman was my girlfriend.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:05 pm

Derek wrote:The only problem with this movie--the only one--is that it makes me wish Natalie Portman was my girlfriend.
If that's the case, that's the problem I had with all of her movies.
My name is Dave.

Derek

Post by Derek » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:16 pm

But this one more than her others, because her character is so cute.

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:55 pm

So I'm with the negative posters. I finally saw this thing, and I feel cold and dead inside. Just watching it made me have trouble swallowing, like when you've been crying from stress for a long time. Ick. Excellent soundtrack, disapointing movie.

I really expected something better. I'm glad there was at least a moral of some sort in the end, but even it was really damned depressing. I was already a bit off what with the tsunami and my girlfriend being really sick this week, but this movie pushed me over the edge into a couple of hours of mild depression.

Today, looking back on the movie, NOTHING MAKES ANY SENSE. It's just a bunch of crappy depressing things thrown together around these two stupid people that meet and like each other for no reason. I'm sorry to be so critical, but jeez. What a waste of time.

The Carpe Diem moral was positive, but they attatched it to 'because it's all we have...life sucks...so...let's put up with it.' I'll take Ethan Hawke standing up on his desk saying 'O, captain, my captain' over this flick anyday.

I'm not recommending this to anybody anywhere. Ever.