Garden State

Discuss films.
Johnny Neat

Garden State

Post by Johnny Neat » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:54 am

Saw the teaser a while back for this thing a few times, as it appears before The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I know it's a teaser and it doesn't give anything away, but damn is this teaser sweet. The song from the duo Frou Frou "Let go" is so perfect for it. It reminds me of the hyped up curious and excited feeling I got when I first saw the teaser for the Spotless Mind with E.L.O's "Mr. Blue Sky" jam on it, giving me the same feeling I felt through the whole movie. Also it gave me the feeling of Adaptation's use of "Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie and how The Basketball Diaries had Seal's "Crazy" on it. Even though when it came to that movie, I was pissed they left it out of the actual film. I know that sounds weird to most, but I expected it in the film somewhere, OK. Anyhow, back to my post. Garden State looks interesting and after researching info on it, it looks like it could be a really enjoyable film, up there with The Spotless mind. I don't mean in wackiness, but in a real from the heart kinda way. Here's to hoping that's true.

P.s.
Plus besides the surprising good talent pulled together for this one, it has Natalie "Why did I do that emotionless cut out character in StarWars? Not to mention my silly dream to act with Susan Sarandon in "Anywhere but Here" and that favor of a movie "Where the Heart is," cause I'm a good actress" Portman. I love that girl. "Leon: the Professional" and "Beautiful Girls" anyone..? 8)
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:50 pm

I'll see it for Natalie Portman alone! :::sigh::: A man can dream right?

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:51 pm

It does look really good, doesn't it? :D

For those who have not seen it yet...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searc ... den_state/

Check it out already! :wink:

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:17 pm

I agree with you all, I saw the trailer, and immediately thought "Wow, I want to see that movie" but I didnt really know why. It looks cool, yet the trailer says nothing. Kudos to the trailer creator.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:50 pm

Yah that shot of mr. scrubs in front of the wallpaper with matching shirt... that's just genius.

Johnny Neat

well...

Post by Johnny Neat » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:18 am

I've always said that the peeps who make the trailer's should get Oscars. How many times have you seen a trailer make a movie look good or vice versa :?:

I also think the guys who do opening titles should get Oscars too.

Coheteboy

Re: well...

Post by Coheteboy » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:59 am

Johnny Mercury wrote:I've always said that the peeps who make the trailer's should get Oscars. How many times have you seen a trailer make a movie look good or vice versa :?: .
Here's an idea... let's START one. I'm quite a big fan of watching trailers and visit apple's quicktime page quite frequently to watch them all. They're either works of art or just.... downright bad. So Razzies for the trailer world would be required of course.

Making trailers are definitely an artform and the names should be acknowledged.

For example, the trailers for Star Wars episode 1 I thought were the most awesome things I've seen back then... and then the trailers for episode 2 I thought were just horrible.

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:07 am

I hope everyone here has seen the new Garden State trailer online.
It runs along with the Postal Service's "Such Great Heights" song.
This movie is on my hit list big time.
Catch it peeps.

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:20 pm

Dude.

You know, I saw the trailer yesterday with the Frou Frou song and i was like O my god i'm so feeling this! and was shitting my pants.

Today I looked at it again and it's got the postal service song on it now and it seems so Boring and Obvious and I just didn't care.

Of course, I love Postal Service and Such Great Heights, but it's way over used, you know? just like they seem to put it in every MTV or VHS show (not that I watch so much of that... just goes to show it doesn't take much to come across that song)

especially with dialogue in this new trailer - The dialogue makes the movie seem so trite and done before. It just makes the movie seem too much like "(so and so) in his most dramatic role" like Philip Seymore Hoffman in Love Liza.

Speaking of giving awards for trailers, the first trailer gets a *you successfully got my attention and I'll run out to see it ASAP because I feel like you're what's missing in my life* award, and the Such Great Heights trailer gets the *Dude, i want this to be good, but it's looking so tired and i'm worried i'll get hella annoyed* award.

but that, of course, is based solely on the trailers, who knows what the actual movie's going to be. I'll go see it when it comes out. I'm still hoping that it's good...

Monk

Post by Monk » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:54 pm

It still seems promising, even without the veil of mystique Frou Frou created :) I have high hopes for it, maybe because Zach Braff and I have the same haircut. We shall see... we shall see.

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:19 am

I'm with Monk, I'm still going to see this ASAP. But Sweet_Baboo that was a funny post and I feel your thoughts too. But bottom line, I love Natalie Portman, and not in an "I want to date her" silly sense, but in a "damn you rock as an actress and could save this movie from itself if it goes south." kind of way. Because regardless of her recent crap fest movie choices, I still have Leon: The Professional on my mind.

Oh, and I don't have cable. But MTV and now sadly VH1 & the once for a second awesome MTV2 are the tool for the rulers of bad taste and devil to control weak minded fools everywhere. Seriously, they suck beyond belief.

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:58 am

Since we're on the subject of movie promotions, has anyone seen the poster for Garden State? If not, check this link. Honestly, poster design seems to be a lost art these days, but I thought this one looked really nice. Kinda fulfills the obligatory "headshot" requirement but in an interesting way. How can I not want to see this movie when the poster features its stars wearing trashbags and screaming into the abyss :D

And since the subject of awards was raised, my curiousity was stirred, and I did a little googling, and found this.
i heard rumors, he was into
http://jae.imperialotter.com/

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:18 pm

Thanx Jason. There is a movie god. Trailer and credit makers are artistic people who should be honored for their work as well as the usual movie makers and actors.

The poster on the other hand was to wonky wonky (plain Jane) for me. Considering how artistically cool the trailers have been I expected more. S#!T, The Bourne Supremacy has a better artsy poster. Speaking of which I should start a thread on that gem.

elara

Post by elara » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:34 pm

I also think the guys who do opening titles should get Oscars too.
this is an old remark but I'd thought i'd comment.

People who make opening titles do win oscars!!!...just in case you were wondering. I work for a company who used to do movie titles and opening sequences, and they have one or two oscars from producing them. I'm glad, some movies have brilliant opening titles and animations, It's an art form too!

I remember seeing this trailer while going to see Eternal Sunshine, I liked it, but I remember thinking how funny it was that after seeing it, I still had no idea what it was about. (only that it takes place in NJ of course and looks quite interesting visually)
~~ Elara

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:00 am

Alright, peeps, I just came back from watching this movie, and good news! NATALIE PORTMAN CAN STILL ACT. Just thought I'd get that across in case some of you think Lucas drained her skillz right out from her.

This is a solid piece of work from Scrubs star Zach Braff. I really dug it. It's an emotional story full of depth, nice quirky laughs and a lot subtle moments. It's just a really good film and I enjoyed it through and through. And I'm pretty sure a lot of you will agree when you finally see it, that there's a lot of good music in this movie.

I don't want to say anything more to ruin your experiences, but I just wanted to give my thumb-up of approval. It's not the greatest movie ever made, but it's a really good refreshing one.

...and natalie portman is so cute.

Grade: 8/10

Will discuss more after more of you have seen it!
My name is Dave.