Speed Racer

Discuss films.
LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:42 am

By all your recommendations, I finally gave this a viewing. I must say I did enjoy it quite a bit. I'm always kind of iffy when it comes to the Wachowskis. Though the score bugged me a little (the trailer music made it seem a little too cool) and I wasn't too fond of the script, but the actors made it work....Emilie Hirsch and John Goodman especially. And there indeed some touching moments which made me nod and smile, I'll admit.

It also amazed me how Christina Ricci could say "cool beans" and make it sound sexy. O_O

Anyways....

All in all, really not as bad as the critics have labeled it to be. You have to wonder if these guys really know how to enjoy a movie anymore.
Remember to breathe.....

matthewart

Post by matthewart » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:04 am

I just saw Speed again! But. This time in IMAX. There is allot of detail to look at. Everything has lines and stripes. Little nik a naks abound in every corner of the screen.

the best part was: after the movie my 5 year old daughter was running up and down the isles singing go speed racer go... she which she continued to sing periodically the rest of the day.

COOL BEANS!!!
[email protected]

"We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams" ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:30 am

Kazu wrote:I know us fans are starting to sound a little crazy here, but I seriously believe this is one of the greatest films ever made. Looking forward to being a kid again and crying tears of joy when I enter that theater tomorrow. Can't wait!
You do sound crazy. This must be some kind of new record for you. But because of your craziness, I will have to check this film out. Should I see it on IMAX or regular?
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:32 am

I recommend one regular screening followed by one screening at IMAX. The giant screen makes the races look amazing, but the slower emotional scenes suffer a little due to the characters being so massive on the screen.

The best screening for me was in a stadium theatre, sitting right in the middle. (Don't sit too far back) :D

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:49 pm

Alright. Just came back from watching it. I was very skeptical at first, but when I came out the theater I started singing "Go Speed Racer...Go Speed Racer Go!"

It was pretty awesome I must admit. The movie's races put the Pod Racer scene in Star Wars to shame. I never thought I'd get to see Ludicruous speed on screen again.

It's sad that the film has only accumulated $42 million. When I saw it today, there was only two screenings of it for the whole day. Hopefully it's doing better overseas. I don't think this film will even break even. How much was this film made for? $120 million?

Now I got a new song to play when I play Mario Kart, Wipeout, F-Zero, or Gran Turismo. :-P
Last edited by SonOfaRich on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:57 am

SonOfaRich wrote: F-Zero,
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FFtw7qW7Vcw - Falcon Punch!

^_^ Hey, out of curriosity, anybody ever heard the Alpha Team Speed Racer remix? It's funny stuff, and if you've heard the proper version, it'll just make you laugh and shudder at the same time.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:33 am

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111798 ... =2508&cs=1

recent Article on Speed Racer on why it flopped.

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:46 am

Saw this last night and I'm at a complete loss as to why it has been so panned. It was GREAT! It was like a big live action cartoon. It never tried to be anything other than what it was. Some of the visuals were so unique and innovative. in particular the use of swipe cuts (i don't even know if that's what they're called) during conversation. What a gret and clever way to keep it interesting. The whole thing moved at a decent speed that I didn't notice any slow moments until the third act.

And the little dude playing Spritle was AWESOME!! He had such great confidence and comic timing. In a role that could have easily been precocious and irritating he made it his own. Plus he got to work with a chimp.

So yeah, loved it. Had so much fun with it. Can't recommend it enough and i'm jealous I can't see it on IMAX
ImageImage

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:47 am

^__^ Okay, so I finally went out and saw Speed Racer on Friday night and we had the whooole theater to ourselves. I took a risk and made a bet with my friend Tom (because I wasn't going to go see this movie alone) that if he came with me I'd pay for his ticket, and if he could honestly say that he didn't think the movie was fantastic, that was it, but if the movie blew his socks off he had to give me half of the ticket money back. He now owes me 6.50 :wink:

The movie was more and less than what I expected. Some things felt rather campy, and the beginning was near close to a total disapointment. I can understand where the critics are going with this one if they only stayed for the first twenty minutes, but Ebert and Roper said it was good and I listen to them more often than not because our oppinions are usually the same in terms of films.

First I'd like to give a hats off to the Watchowskis for allowing me to see a glimpse as to a technique that I've been planning on using for years in a film and watching my first interpritation of it. The only thing that I liked in the beginning was this point in the film, the one with the crayon-drawn overtop of live action. It wasn't the dream sequence using that technique, but it was still great to see.

Another hats off to the props and costuming department. Holy cow, I thought I was watching the cartoon just all messed up. The colour pallet, the costuming, racer X in particular, just...wow.

Also, guys, I have no idea why you all hate Spritle and Chimchim. I thought they were going to be the most annoying things on the face of the earth. Instead I found kid Speed to be the thing that got on my nerves, and Spritle was just a funny, bratty kid. He got in the way of Speed, but he never got in the way of the film except for the ending, where I swore I could punch him if I wasn't laughing so hard. John Goodman, as well...I just wanted to give him a hug and ask him to make me a car.

The soundtrack was everything I thought it would be, and while about four of the races were a disapointment, I seriously was on the edge of my seat during the last two. I was also incerdibly happy that the film came with a couple good old fashioned Speed Racer "Hohh?!"'s.

The only thing I didn't like was the amount of horizontal wipes with people's faces. I know it was supposed to be old school, but it got really distracting during some of the races.

All in all, it was a great film to watch and I'm glad I saw it once in theaters. However, it's not something I'd watch every day in theaters. Instead, it's definatly something I can see myself watching on a stormy day or lazy night on an old fashioned VHS.