Forbidden Kingdom or Im in ur temple kung-fuing ur monkey

Discuss films.
dark77778

Forbidden Kingdom or Im in ur temple kung-fuing ur monkey

Post by dark77778 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:30 pm

Do you guys miss the 90s? I do. The era when 2D animation ruled and Ninjas kicked back, Biker Mice came from Mars, Pokemon was cool and you couldn't take a step onto the schoolyard without somebody shouting "Mortal Kombat!". Everything was action packed and fully of cheese and followed such formula as "Kid who is a lamer goes on an adventure in a magical fantasy land and when he comes back to the real world he is suddenly no longer a lamer because of his adventure."

Ahhh, those were the days.

Forbidden Kingdom takes all of that old Never Ending Story/The Pagemaster 90s white-boy formula, fuses it with it's script partner "The Wizard of Oz" and adds a sprinkle of good ol millennium style "Lord of the Rings". Then sends it on its merry way with a highly comedic script, a great set of actors and a huge hunk of good ol fashioned Kung-Fu-Fighting. In other word: "Best Kung-Fu movie ever!"

Seriously, this film works, I'm not kidding. This is an American Kung-Fu movie lover's dream Kung-Fu movie. The Kung-Fu is great, the script is juicy, and half the fun of the film is calling all of the cliches as the appear, and sometimes the movie catches you a little bit off guard. The formula is so retro though, that it feels like visiting an old friend who just happens to know some of the greatest kung-fu moves in the history of kung-fu movies.

The movie isn't deep though, far from it. It's very light. Be prepared to laugh and have a good time. Don't go into the film expecting to analyze it like Hero or House of Flying Daggers, just watch it like you'd watch The Karate Kid and you'll find yourself grinning from ear to ear.

MINOR SPOILER: If you want a real taste of what you're in for, I'll have you know that Jackie Chan is back in his classic role of a drunken master. Yeah. =D Excited now? If not, you haven't seen drunken master! Now take that, and add Jackie Chan's new moves plus Jet Li and you've got yourself some rockin' Kung-Fu.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Mon May 05, 2008 7:26 pm

It was a very fun movie, I agree. :)
Remember to breathe.....