RAMBO

Discuss films.
dik pose

RAMBO

Post by dik pose » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:19 am

OK, saw this tonight... I was all hyped up just wanting to see 60 year old, muscle-head Stallone, blow stuff up, and kill people in silly ways... I thought it would be a riot...

This movie was all that, AND it was also one of the most entertaining and cool action films I have EVER seen! Me and the group of 5 other guys left there saying it met all the expectations and far exceeded them...

Great action film, Stallone knows about action films, I will give him that

Highly recommend it. See it in a big theater, come with a group of guys, and get ready to cheer... dont take your girlfriend unless she loves stuff blowing up :)

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:46 am

I'm sorry. But when I see the commercials for that movie, I still think of Weird Al in UHF. :D
Remember to breathe.....

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:56 pm

LetsMeetUpInParadise240 wrote:I'm sorry. But when I see the commercials for that movie, I still think of Weird Al in UHF. :D
me too!

io

Post by io » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:35 pm

Stop watching TV commercials and get your butts to the theater right now to see some real entertainment!

I haven't liked a movie this much in a loooong time, it delivers on what it promises and then some.

Rambo!

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:26 pm

io wrote:Stop watching TV commercials and get your butts to the theater right now to see some real entertainment!

I haven't liked a movie this much in a loooong time, it delivers on what it promises and then some.

Rambo!
Exactly.

nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:44 pm

io wrote:it delivers on what it promises and then some.
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. :D

Michael J. Dowswell

Post by Michael J. Dowswell » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:10 am

wow...glad its being well received by folks, I'm glad to hear it!

Is the violence in this as extreme as the early trailer that came out, and then seemed to vanish?...where we really had some :shock: moments...

I must say its exciting to see these old heroes come back to the silver screen...John Rambo, John Mclane, Indiana Jones (havn't seen Die Hard IV yet though)

---
Michael J. Dowswell
Independent Animator/Director

http://www.studiotacitus.co.uk
http://mikedowswell.blogspot.com

Harry Myland (IV)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:40 pm

The first time I caught the RED BAND trailer I nearly choked thanks to the laughing that ensued.

Haven't seen it yet, but I've heard pretty great things. It's on the list of things to do.

Of course, the critics are slamming it because it's not like Rocky Balboa (which was also pretty great, by the way) - but this is a type of movie that critics, for whatever reason, can't seem to grasp.

And yeah, Mr. Dowswell, it has been pretty neat seeing all these cult heroes come back for one "last" ride. Nostalgia sells. :D
NOMAD TOFU (updates M/W/F... it's about a goofy nomad who causes disaster everywhere he goes.)

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:49 pm

I can't believe they needed two people to write a screenplay like this. I'll slam it too, it gets about as deep as the movie trailer itself. It's got action for sure, though not as much as one might think. It makes up for that with intensity, however that just made it feel even more gratuitous. Those who enjoy that sort of stuff can also salute Rambo for saving the iconic white girl from some Burmese penis (a plot device that strikes terror into the hearts of every man). The stock footage deaths in the beginning were effective, the civilian massacre was effective, but at the end, the violence was SO extreme, it was almost laughably cartoony. Still, it is nice to see Stallone return to his signature role despite his HGH'ed mutant puffiness. First Blood was great, and everything else is purely a babysitter for fanboys.

Now if only Stallone would make a "Cobra" sequel with Lieutenant Marion 'Cobra' Cobretti's return, he could truly retire at his peak!
Marion Cobretti: You're the disease, and I'm the cure.

Reagan

Post by Reagan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:44 pm

I'm gonna just copy and paste what I wrote on Doug TenNapel's forum:

Me and Annie saw it yesterday. I thought it was pretty cool, but I think they really dropped the ball on this. There were TONS of characters where I kept thinking "Oh man, you just KNOW this guy's going to do something totally awesome" yet it never really happens. Overall it felt like it was only halfway done. They had an amazing setup, yet did nothing with it aside from a bunch of awesome action sequences.

Examples (SPOILERS):

- The part where the pacifist hippy missionary team leader sees the soldiers killing his friends and suddenly cowboys up to join in the fight could've been SO much better and more meaningful, but instead he just kinda smashes in a dude's head with a rock. Yay. Okay what else?

- The mercenaries. So much potential for awesome character changes there. I was hoping the snotty SAS Brit would have some kind of redeeming moment where he has an opportunity to just take the money he was paid, and run the hell out of there, but realizes the value of human life and dying for something greater than himself, blah blah blah and then dies heroically while saving the missionaries. And Schoolboy. I wanted to know more about him dammit!!

- Rambo. Rambo's character change was kind of.. Underwhelming. Okay he has a flashback to the previous three movies, what else? I was expecting to see him REALLY apathetic, then have something really stand out to suddenly trigger him to help these people, rather than this slow, grumbling change of heart.

- I also think that the overwhelming brutality and cruelty of the village massacre scene demanded a greater victory for Rambo, the mercenaries, and the Karen rebels. So they wiped out the army brigade responsible for it? That's all?! I was hoping to see something more along the lines of a full on rebellion sweeping the countryside while jets flew overhead as the soundtrack broke into this awesome wailing heavy metal guitar.

- The end badguy. Come on, I was expecting a huge one on one showdown where he foils Rambo twice, then ends in some awesome cliffside brawl.

- No exploding arrows. No rocket launchers. No helicopters. No tanks. COME ON.

This was a good movie, but it could've been *great*.

30 years from now when I'm rich I'm going to do a remake of this which will be totally awesome.

Needs more shlock.