Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Discuss films.
Tony

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Post by Tony » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:09 am

How is there no thread on this yet? I saw it the other day and it is easily one of the best films of the year.

It is absolutely gorgeous. Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter are both mesmerizing. And I love that cute little thing that seems to go hand-in-hand with musical theatre where all the characters fit neatly together.

Anyone else think it could have done with a bit more of a denouement or epilogue? The visual they end on is awesomely beautiful, but I felt that I wanted a little something more. A friend of mine suggested they might have kept the ending visual as-is, but bring back one of the musical themes for a slight swell to punctuate the end.

MacArthurSoup

Post by MacArthurSoup » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:30 am

Sweeny Todd was fun.

I'll defer to Dan Savage at the Stranger's review, when I say that I'm a big ol' homo, and therefore can't really like any movie adaptation of a stage play. They're two different circles that shouldn't really cross.

Anyway, everyone says that the actors can't sing. Whatever, everyone sang fine. I wasn't distracted by even Bohnam Carter's whispy voice. It was fine. Moving on. The decision to cast Johnny Depp was a MISTAKE. At this point, there is no chance of separating the celebrity from the character. But that's what movies are all about (another discussion.)

Sweeny isn't Sondheim's best work (see: Assassins), but is his most dementedly fun. Oh Lordy. Two fanatical, sociopathic misanthropes make total strangers into meat pies and feed them to the general public. And they're the sympathetic characters!

Anyway, see the play, SEE THE PLAY.
De-Facto Art Website/Log.
http://macarthursoup.livejournal.com
Come on and visit. Kettle's on!

James_80

Good Times

Post by James_80 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:43 pm

This movie was a blast.

I was really impressed with the singing talent of the "movie stars"

I had no knowledge of Sweeney Todd before I went to see the movie, so it was quite a shock to see such a great contrast of a dark and seedy London and the almost upbeat nature of some of the songs. I was almost always surprised when they started singing. I'd have to say to myself "Oh yeah, it's a musical. I got a real kick out of it.

I'm eager to see the stage version of this if it ever comes through town.
All I could find was a brief you tube version from 1982 with Angela Lansbury.

You may remember her from great movie musicals such as Bed Knobs and Broom Sticks.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:52 pm

I liked it. And I think Burton has really matured as a filmmaker here.

nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:45 am

My biggest problem with the film is that there are no surprises. That is, I had read the barest of synopsis's before entering the theater -- barber, meat pies, etc. -- and that's exactly what the movie is. I think the problem is that it is a musical -- the plot has to move at a glacial pace in order to fit in all of the songs. Normally, even if you know sort of what a movie is about, there's still a lot to discover in viewing the movie as the plot unfolds. Not here.

I thought everything was well done though. The sets were amazing and the actors were terrific. However, other than "A Little Priest," the songs were rather bland. And, considering that the songs -- and not the plot -- are the center of the movie, that was rather problematic for me.

neil

Post by neil » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:32 pm

MacArthurSoup wrote:Sweeny isn't Sondheim's best work (see: Assassins), but is his most dementedly fun.
I'd love to see a film version of Assassins too, but... That'll be the day!

I was feeling a bit cautious about Sweeney Todd, but you guys convinced me--I wanna see it now! I like how, from what I've heard, the singing is a little more toned down and intimate, not like the booming vocals of a stage musical (which it doesn't really deserve to be compared with).

metaleaf

Post by metaleaf » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:03 pm

I thought there could have been more humour mixed in with the close-ups of throats being cut, but overall I really enjoyed the film. Some of the songs have been running through my head for weeks now. I wish I could dress like Johnny Depp.

Interesting points about the pacing being slow; on reflection, I agree. That would explain a lot.

A side note: Do not go see this film with anyone who is easily offended. The person I went to see it with thought the Serial Killer Convention chapter of the Sandman was the very depths of depravity - just imagine what he thought of this film :roll: