Confession Time: Name the "bad" movie that you lov

Discuss films.
Ganter

Post by Ganter » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:36 pm

not really a movie, but...

The 10th Kingdom
Kazu knows my love for this terrible miniseries. Don't worry, dear, I'll never make you watch it! It's too embarrassing and girly. :P

Tony

Post by Tony » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:31 pm

dik pose wrote:Damn it Tony... ok.. let me think... movies I think ROCK, but others think are shitty...hmmmm... GOT IT! I love me some White Chicks The best the Wayne's bros have to offer!! 14% on RT.
God, really? That IS a horrible movie.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:11 pm

I don't LOVE this movie by any stretch, but I was watching The Day After Tomorrow on the airplane for the first time, and the scene where they're being chased by the frost/ice coming after them? I was laughing out loud like a maniac at how ridiculous that concept was. A lot of people on the flight turned around to stare at me, I was laughing so hard.

It's a terrible film, but that one scene truly entertained me with its preposterousness.

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:27 am

Kean wrote:and the scene where they're being chased by the frost/ice coming after them?
Yeah, that was freakin' ridiculous.
--Joe.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:23 am

Dude, YES. The Day After Tomorrow is awesome. When the wolf comes hurtling through the door at Jake Gyllenhaal, I nearly split my sides from laughing so hard.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:00 am

Lets see if you know this plot outline "Post-apocalyptic America. What begins as a con game becomes one man's quest to rebuild civilization by resuming postal service"

Uh huh, its another movie I can watch all day long... The Postman!!! Kevin Costner MUST deliver that MAIL!!!!!! My oh my, I do love watching that film... 10% RT!! BOO-YA!!!!

Where you at Tony? What chu got!?

geckochan

Post by geckochan » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:49 am

dik pose wrote: The only "bad" film I can watch over and over is Dragonheart
Oh my gosh, the ending to Dragonheart makes me cry! And I almost never cry in movies (Nausicaa being one of the only other oens I can think of)

I must admit, I find Spice World (the Spice Girls' movie) extremely amusing. I also adore the original 60's Batman movie, but that goes without saying since it's awesome. I'd also like to track down one I saw on tv a while ago - with a Captain Nemo brought back from cryogenic freezing, and Hawaii, and possibly Russian bad guys trying to find Atlantis. I don't know if I've ever laughed so much, ever. It was fantastic.

angeldevil

Post by angeldevil » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:19 am

This is sort of a loaded topic because everyone has different tastes... on top of that, I live with a magazine editor who specializes in cult cinema, so we see a lot of films.

I'm known for my questionable taste in movies, lets get that out of the way right now. If I like it, no doubt it will be a financial/critical failure or anyone I make watch it will hate me for it. I will happily sit through anything with Jean Reno (Wasabi anyone?). I will happily watch pretty much any French action or horror (Brotherhood of the Wolf, District B-13). I'll watch anything B level that has a lot of style, for that matter... If I'm flipping stations and Event Horizon is on, I'll watch it. Ditto Resident Evil, Alien vs Predator (all same director). Weird Japanese films fall into that also -- Tokyo Zombie, Monday, Demon Pond, Princess Raccoon.... But, the most recent bad film obsession is Night Watch and Day Watch (Russian urban fantasy). I love the films to death, my friends do not. I'll just take my DVDs and go home now.

Tony

Post by Tony » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:41 am

dik pose wrote:The Postman!!!
DUDE I LOVED THAT FILM TOO!!! I think. It was a long time ago. I THINK I loved it. I don't get you guys that liked Day After Tomorrow, though. Ugh *shivers*.
This is sort of a loaded topic because everyone has different tastes
Yes, but generally you know that there is a movie you are ashamed to love, because public opinion is so strongly arrayed against that movie. AVP is a good example. That movie was trash.

FUN FACT: my girlfriend worked on the costuming for AVP:R or AVP2 or whatever it is.

FUN FACT 2: They've released a trailer that effectively shows EVERY death in the movie.

angeldevil

Post by angeldevil » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:04 am

This is sort of a loaded topic because everyone has different tastes
Yes, but generally you know that there is a movie you are ashamed to love, because public opinion is so strongly arrayed against that movie. AVP is a good example. That movie was trash.

FUN FACT: my girlfriend worked on the costuming for AVP:R or AVP2 or whatever it is.

FUN FACT 2: They've released a trailer that effectively shows EVERY death in the movie.[/quote]

Well Night Watch is an example of this being a loaded topic: I think it's a great film, but my friends feel about it the way I do about The Matrix or Pirates of the Caribbean (I WON'T sit through either ever again even for money)... As far as AVP yes it's horrible, but the lighting! The camera angles! The casting! Anderson makes garbage but it's very stylish garbage.

Your girlfriend did costumes for the second AVP? Poor thing, all those monotones.

Oh, and I listed lots of embarrassing films in my post... Dude, I liked Wasabi.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:36 pm

this is redundant: http://www.flightcomics.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=
I like good bad movies most when they are unintentionally funny. Like "The Running Man" or the "Mad Max" series. Cheesy 70's-80's movies are the best. Rocky III, IV, V, Rambo II, III, Commando are just classic.

Actually, good bad movies often make me feel that appeal is the most important thing in a movie or entertainment piece with story being second. A bad story with irresistable appeal suceeds if audiences like it even though it's bad. It's like watching Bruce Lee movies. Yeah, most his movies have moldy cheese growing all over it but you can't take your eyes off his screen presence.

Many Godzilla movies and Kung Fu movies are just pure guilty pleasures.

The best ones are always unintentionally funny and have memorable cheesy quotes.

It's my dream to make quality cheese.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:30 pm

Dude, The Day After Tomorrow is one of my favorites! I don't know why, but I legitimately find it to be entertaining and kinda scary. I know thats kinda strange, but i think it rocks.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:41 pm

Oh yeah, I also really like The Rundown with The Rock and Stifler from American Pie. It was so over the top, but hilarious and not a bad movie to just sit back and enjoy.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:09 am

Okay, this is a tough question because I've been rolling it around in my head for a few days considering if I should talk about the "so bad it's good" kinda movie or the "HEY! I actually kinda liked that!" kind of movie...

But, in the "so bad it's good" category, here are two recent movies that come to mind:

Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift (34% on RT, personal blog about it) - Okay, so I'm totally not into cars or anything like that, so I haven't seen the first two F&F movies, but the trailer for this was so ridiculous that I had to see it! And it did not disappoint. Totally over-the-top, weird views on and references to both Japanese and American culture, and even a romantic "drifting in the night" scene that I couldn't believe I was actually witnessing. In the spirit of public confessions, though: if the trailer hadn't been enough, the other thing that turned me on to this movie was the fact that it had several Japanese musicians on the soundtrack including semi-embarrassing bands like Dragon Ash and Teriyaki Boyz, who I am pretty much down with :oops:

Ghost Rider (28% on RT, personal blog about it) - Nicolas Cage is quickly becoming my favorite bad movie actor. Yeah, he has been used well by a couple of great directors, but when he's on top of his bad game, he's the best. Ghost Rider doesn't take itself toooo seriously, so there are some legitimately funny parts that are meant to be funny, but I was still cackling through the "cool" and "serious" parts as well...Also, Cage's Elvis thing was totally out of control on this one.

While on the subject of Nicolas Cage, this youtube clip of all the "best" scenes from Wicker Man is one of the best things I've ever seen. Anybody looking forward to National Treasure 2?
Visit the Tragic Planet!

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:20 am

Yes I am looking forward to Nation Treasure 2! The first one is awesome. Other than the guy who feels he has to be funny all of the time, I really think this is a great fun series. It's everything The DaVinci Code could have been and everything that made Indiana Jones good fun. I really enjoy it.