Confession Time: Name the "bad" movie that you lov

Discuss films.
Tony

Confession Time: Name the "bad" movie that you lov

Post by Tony » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:10 pm

In the "I Am Legend" thread, it seemed like a lot of people enjoyed Constantine. I remember it being poorly received (it got a 22% on the Rotten Tomatoes pro meter) when it came out and so I thought that there was something broken about me since I liked it.

So here - name one really "bad" movie that you really, ACTUALLY enjoy. Bonus points if you can say why. And it doesn't count if you were on drugs at the time.

I'll go first.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen at a spine-chilling 11% on the Rotten Tomatoes "Cream of the Crop" meter. It's a really disjointed movie with a bizarre cast, questionable acting and a weird, weird story. But for some reason, I really enjoy it. I think it might be the concept, and maybe the mood and environments. It's like it has so much potential to be cool that I think it fooled me into thinking it was. In fact, if you were to watch it while cooking dinner or maybe doing some woodworking, and you just filled in the parts you missed with your imagination - or, say you just stopped it about half-way through and completed it in your mind - you'd probably have a pretty awesome movie.

Oh, and like so many I am totally a sucker for Sean Connery's wiles. This probably boosts the potential by about one trillion points.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:16 pm

All the movies I love are GREAT! Great I tell you!!!

The only "bad" film I can watch over and over is Dragonheart (Another Sean Connery masterpiece) It got a 50% on Rottentomatoes, but while some may see the glass half empty, mine is overflowing :)

I am a sucker for stories about honor and friendship, throw in swords, a pretty girl, and a mother fucking Dragon voiced by Sean Connery, and I will cry every time!!!! ROCK ON!

kyle-latino

Post by kyle-latino » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:10 pm

Escape form New York

That movie has everything, and yet offers nothing. I love it, but won't tolerate similar elements in other movies.

But really, when I watched The Core and Stealth in the same night, it fundamentally altered my tastes. It suddenly dawned on me that there is just as much enjoyment to be had in laughing at awful movies as there is in finding good ones. But the fact is it's a lot easier to find bad ones, so that's what I get now.

webcomic: dinopartycomics.com
deviantart: kyle-latino.deviantart.com

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:28 pm

I think we had a thread about this somewhere, but I'll put in a couple of entries here...

Mission to Mars- I love this terrible film so much it's in my all-time top ten. Here's my blog post about it.

Robot Jox- A movie about Americans and Russians settling political disputes with giant robots and starring the dude from the Alien Nation TV series. The film is directed by Stuart Gordon (Re-Animator) and features concept designs by Ron Cobb (The Last Starfighter, Total Recall, Alien, Star Wars), who is one of my heroes. This also reminds me that I should mention The Last Starfighter and My Science Project.

Cloak and Dagger- This movie has piss-poor production values (just saw it again recently), but I still love it for its father-son relationship stuff. I'm a sucker for father-son stories and I really like Dabney Coleman and Henry Thomas, so the film has lingered in my memory for a very long time. I would recommend it only to people who have some nostalgic attachments to the film. Otherwise, it's just a terrible film made to cash in on the Atari game craze of the 80's.

Tony > If you liked The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, you'll probably love an earlier film by the same director (Stephen Norrington) called Death Machine starring Brad Dourif. I expected it to be terrible when it was on late night cable many years ago, but it caught me by surprise and I really genuinely liked it. It's why I was so excited to see his next film, Blade, when I heard about it - bad premise and all (I love Blade). You sold me on League. I'll put it on my Netflix que...

Tony

Post by Tony » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:38 pm

dik pose wrote:Dragonheart (Another Sean Connery masterpiece) It got a 50% on Rottentomatoes
Aww, come on Dik. You can do better (or worse) than that. 50% is clearly too high.

James_80

badder than bad

Post by James_80 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:46 pm

Robot Jox! I used to watch that movie on superchannel all the time.

I guess my pics would be:

TMNT Secret of the OOZE I grew up in prime TMNT hype, and this movie has Vanilla Ice in it. Need I say more.

Wilford Brimley and Drew Barrymore in the same movie? Yes you guessed it Ewoks and the Battle for Endor. Man if my family was murdered and I was stranded on a strange moon I'd want the Quaker oats guy on my side. He's so surly and comforting at the same time.

Rumble in the Bronx My first exposure to Jackie Chan, I love how Vancouver really does not look much like the Bronx. Oh! I also love hovercrafts.

Monster Squad Wolfman's got nards!

Surf Ninjas I know, I know. I actually lost credibility in the 9th grade for liking this movie. My friend would call me on it during arguments. Something like. "How can I trust your opinion on anything. You like Surf Ninjas."

Transelvania 6-5000 This movie is one of my all time favourite bad movies. Good for a laugh.

Tony

Post by Tony » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:48 pm

Kyle - ha ha ha, awesome double bill! I don't know how you could subject yourself to that. (Stealth sits at 7% with the RT "Cream of the Crop")

Kazu - Wow! I remember feeling super-excited after seeing the trailers for both Robot Jox and Cloak and Dagger, but I never actually got around to seeing either. I might have to host a horrible 80's action-film night.
Uh... with League... just expect the worst and you'll be fine.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I thought there might be a thread like this, but anything I searched for turned up pages and pages of threads.

neil

Post by neil » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:21 pm

Pootie Tang! It was one of the best movies of 2001. I think the only major critic who agreed with me was Janet Maslin, shortly before she retired.

I really tried to enjoy League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but no luck. I didn't find it as aggressively bad as many others, but I just thought it was very, very flat.

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:08 am

Biodome (8% on RT). I think I just found the Pauly Shore/Stephen Baldwin dynamic to be funny. I really believed they were that stupid...who am I kidding, I can't defend it! I just know I liked it.

And wait a minute...Cloak and Dagger was bad?!? I remembered like that when I was too young to know the difference. I think it might have just been that coo watch...

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:41 pm

I'm totally in love with The Shadow. That's right, the Alec Baldwin flop directed by Highlander's Russell Mulcahy.

I can watch this movie a million times and not get bored. The cheesy, pulpish dialogue is great, and the movie looks pretty damned nice in my opinion. Plus it's got a great score by Jerry Goldsmith!
--Joe.

nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:26 am

How about Dude, Where's My Car? It's got a 30% on Metacritic. Or Drop Dead Gorgeous? It got a 28%. Hmm... most of the others I tried scored at least 50% or so... I guess I just don't have what it takes to pull off an <10%.

almo

Post by almo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:54 am

I don't consider it bad myself, because Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey is one of the greatest movies ever, but some people may consider it not-so-great. Also, does anyone consider Teen Wolf and bad movie? I don't. And I agree with James_80 about Monster Squad.

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:16 pm

"Me, Myself, and Irene" - I'm not a fan of the Farrelly Bros, but I was surprised to find that this movie made me laugh to the point there were tears in my eyes.

This probably isnt considered a bad movie overall, but I surprised by "Constantine" a great deal. I used to be a Hellblazer fan and was horrified to find that Keanu Reeves was playing John. Then I saw the movie. The script was bad, and the story was kind of lacking I felt. Crucifix shotgun? Come on. But visually, the film was gorgeous to look at...especially the moments where John was in Hell, and Rachel Weiss's character is thrown backwards through those hallways and out of the building.
Remember to breathe.....

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:02 pm

Maybe Wayne's World? It is full of cheese, but somehow keeps me entertained all the way through. I could watch this many more times than the arguably cleverer Austin Powers.

I also love Fifth Element more than I ought to- not that I would call it a bad movie or anything, but the story is hardly spectacular enough to justify my level of adoration.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:20 pm

Tony wrote:
dik pose wrote:Dragonheart (Another Sean Connery masterpiece) It got a 50% on Rottentomatoes
Aww, come on Dik. You can do better (or worse) than that. 50% is clearly too high.
Damn it Tony... ok.. let me think... movies I think ROCK, but others think are shitty...hmmmm... GOT IT! I love me some White Chicks The best the Wayne's bros have to offer!! 14% on RT.