Pushing Daisies

Discuss films.
Tony

Pushing Daisies

Post by Tony » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:48 pm

There's no forum for TV shows, so this goes here, I guess. (Considering the amount of good TV shows, we probably don't need a forum, either.)

DEAR EVERYONE: Please tell me you are watching this. It is the most enjoyable TV show since Arrested Development (for different reasons, of course).

Have you seen it? What do you think?

Tmara

Post by Tmara » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:07 am

I saw the first episode and I thought it was okay. It's different from the "average" tv-serie. The opening almost looked like teletubbies and it remains a bit fairy tale-like with the story teller voice that makes remarks now and then.

The story seems promising. The strange power that the main character has is really interesting. There is even impossible romance in the air, which might end dramatically (dum dum). But I don't think it will become a really soapy series, because it keeps a sort of children's book athmosphere. Not just because of the story teller's voice, but also because the characters are very simple, stereotypical in a way, or iconic, like in a children's book by Roald Dahl, Annie MG Schmidt or Astrid Lindgren.

Anyway, since I haven't seen any more then the first episode, I might be totally wrong about all this.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:51 am

You're right. The show is good and it's really refreshing to see on network tv. It's nice to see Barry Sonnenfeld add a touch of style and uniqueness to the show. It's kind of like a cross between 'The Addams Family' and 'Big Fish'. At first I thought this show was really different and weird, but then I was surprised how entertaining its stories, characters, and dialogue are.

Anyone up for some pie?
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

flatrabbit

Post by flatrabbit » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:51 am

Both my wife and I are so hooked by this show. It's so good that I'm sure it won't last past the first season (I'm hoping to be proven wrong).

I love every character: the quirky and neurotic pie maker, the cynical PI, the ruthless and yet hilarious waitress and of course the vibrant not-so-dead girl. Each one makes me laugh out loud.

The world they live in is so surreal and colorful that it's a joy to watch just to take in the surroundings.
flatrabbit
--"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
‡ [ home ] ‡

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:09 pm

Man o man... I think this is one of the best things on tv right now!!!

The writing is amazing! The acting is dead on! (Anna Friel is so adorable!)The visual style is refreshing! Everytime the Ned "pets" his dog, I crack up, freakin genius!

This show makes me happy!

Tony

Post by Tony » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:41 pm

EDIT: MOST DISJOINTED POST EVER. Oh well.

One thing that occurred to me upon watching episode 6 for the 2nd time was that... I find that the murder mystery plots are really not very compelling in and of themselves. I'm really only in it to see how it affects the main characters.

And those four main characters are sooooo goooood (five if you count Digby, and I do). Chuck is extremely charming and Ned is .... if Ned were a character in any other show, they would have screwed him up. The way the characters communicate is such a relief. It's so different from anything else I've seen on TV. Their interactions are ... either the interactions are so realistic that they contrast with the surreal world for good effect, or the character interactions are made MORE realistic by the contrast with the surreal world. Not sure which. Either way, it's extremely refreshing. There's a lot of honesty going on, which is nice.

I saw an episode of some show with Joely Fischer and Brad Garrett in it, and it was the most vile, hateful, inhuman piece of trash I'd ever seen on TV. It was about a married couple who - it seemed - did in fact hate each other. It almost felt like the writers resented having to put a happy ending on the episode. Pushing Daisies is such a polar opposite, and I'm so pleased that it's on the air, because this crap show made me REALLY doubt the ability for the industry to make good TV. It was like the epitome of what a sitcom SHOULDN'T be.

Continuing the series may be difficult, though... How can they string out the tension between Chuck and Ned for so long? Will they be able to add enough interest to each episode's mystery to make them more effective individually?

jcaffoe

Post by jcaffoe » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:34 pm

I just started watching this show a few weeks ago and it is already one of my favorite shows on TV, which is a shame because it looks like it's on the verge of being cancelled.

In the midst of all the heavy dramas that get too caught up in overlying questions and big twists to focus on character development (Lost, Heroes), this is a nice breath of fresh air for TV. What really draws me in is how character-centric the series is as a whole. Each episode is very self-contained and each mystery presents an opportunity for the characters to develop, so as you watch the show you grow to understand and relate to the characters more and more. A good example of this is Olive, who I HATED at the start of the series and soon grew to be one of my favorite characters.

The writers also have a knack for revealing a big question at exactly the point when you have the most interest in the answer. Lost tends to drag out stuff like that for entire seasons, which makes it difficult to remember why you cared in the first place. Pushing daisies can give you the question and the answer in a couple episodes, which really gives you the full impact.

The fairy-tale atmosphere is incredibly charming and the characters are just adorable. It's amazing how Ned and Chuck can have one of the most compelling relationships I've seen in a while without touching one another.

I do feel like the show would be better suited to a half-hour format, though, which I think might be killing it ratings-wise...

Either way, well worth watching, and the first season is on DVD, so put it on the Netflix queue!