No Country for Old Men--Spoilers

Discuss films.
dik pose

No Country for Old Men--Spoilers

Post by dik pose » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:46 pm

So when that movie ended, I was completely unsatisfied... I had liked it all the way up to the start of the end credits, it was incredible up to that point... I was expecting a true ending, a neat little tied up plotline... but nope.

But now, thinking about it a few days later, I like it more and more... I would like to watch it again, just to gaze at those beautiful frames Roger Deakins shot. Man, what a great looking film, so many great moments.

And suspensful! Gosh, I was freaked out through most of that film. Kept jumping in my seat.

Oh, and how about "Ahhh, they even shot the dog" Hilarious.

Good film for the Coen's. Way to go.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:31 pm

Oh man am I excited for this film. I can't wait!

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:46 am

I loved, loved, LOVED it. Been a big fan of Cormac McCarthy for years now, and I felt that this was a translation that actually improved on the novel in some ways (the suspense was ratcheted up way higher), and lost out in other places (the ending suffered quite a bit without elaborating more on Sheriff Bell's relationship with his father and wife -- but it was understandable considering the fine line they walked on the near-anti-climatic ending (which I didn't have a problem with at all)).

But, it's been years since I've been that invested in a movie in a long, long time. The suspense was nigh unbearable in places (seeing as how they used a dog that was trained to kill people for the river chase, it explains quite a bit). :)

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:36 am

I also LOVE this film. It's been a while since I've seen something that got my inner film geek so excited. We had a pretty heated debate about the ending here at the studio. Everyone agrees the film is great, but a couple of folks were pretty miffed about the ending. Me, I thought it was perfect. In fact, the more I think about it, the more fitting and elegant the ending becomes. I can't wait to own this one on DVD and watch it again.

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:47 pm

Kean wrote:the ending suffered quite a bit without elaborating more on Sheriff Bell's relationship with his father and wife -- but it was understandable considering the fine line they walked on the near-anti-climatic ending.
I completely agree with you.

And I can understand how people would be fuming at the ending. I read the book a few months ago and as soon as I closed it, I kept wondering, "how are they going to bring that final act to the screen?"

Those action scenes were extremely well done I thought. I can't think of anyone better to do this movie than the Coens.

As I understand it, they'll be bringing McCarthy's other works to the big screen. John Hillcoat is doing "The Road" and Ridley Scott is doing "Blood Meridian." Really looking forward to Scott's adaptation. :)
Remember to breathe.....

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:45 pm

I'm actually more interested in Hillcoat's adaptation than Ridley Scott's. I felt Hillcoat's The Proposition was the closest thing we'll ever get to a proper adaptation of Blood Meridian in spirit (which was the same approach the Coens took with No Country -- the long passages of silence and landscapes). I imagine Scott's version will be full of bombast and ridiculous ultra-violence, which doesn't interest me one bit (I've always felt that for the past two decades, Ridley Scott has been quite a bit overrated).

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:24 pm

You make a good point. when I finally read Blood Meridian, Danny Huston sprang to mind immediately.

The Proposition was a fantastic film.
Remember to breathe.....

maxdeth

Post by maxdeth » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:27 pm

So everyone is saying what they thought about the film in general and I will agree. I thought it was great. But how about some image/metaphor discussion? Why did I like it? I don't know exactlt. Besides that the cinematography and characters were great. What was it about the story?

It spoke to me about aging and the way the world is going and death. But what about chance? I didnt quite get what the writer and the coens were trying to say about chance. He has you flip a coin and we see various outcomes and the last one is that she refuses to choose, but what does it mean? And does that fact that chigur gets into a chance car crash right after he gives her the flip and she refuses mean something?

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:17 am

maxdeth,

I think it had to do with never knowing the exact outcome even if the given circumstance seems in your favor. Tommy Lee Jones mentioned it in one of his monologues and it was represented by the scene where Llewelyn was hunting deer in the plains of Texas. I thought the theme for the film was 'You never know'. Even as sure a thing as death, there are questions. The one thing that was certain is that people will age.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:52 am

I just thought the film looked and felt really freakin' cool. 8)

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:33 pm

Kazu wrote:I just thought the film looked and felt really freakin' cool. 8)
It surely had cool factor. Especially when Chigur drove on the bridge and aimed at the bird.

Tony

Post by Tony » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:38 pm

My favorite part of the whole movie was the very end. I had read Dik's initial post before seeing this, and so was kind of prepared (without knowing what to expect). But when they cut to black and roll the credits, the silence in the packed theatre was THICK. Okay, so that wasn't really my favorite part of the movie, but the experience.

Not sure what to take away from the film right now... maybe a night's sleep will make it more clear.

Vince

Post by Vince » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:09 am

This is a very well-done, incredibly written and shot film that i'd have a hard time watching again. i mean, it is to the Coen Brothers' skill that they were able to create such an overpowering feeling of dread and brutality. And I agree... didn't read the book, but ending felt perfect. Violence and greed in this movie -- much as in real life -- don't end neatly, justly, and satisfyingly.

(Side note: I thought of two stories during this movie... one is Macbeth, where I think Lady Macbeth tells the lie that the consequences of Duncan's murder can be neatly wrapped up and controlled.

The other story I thought of... I think it was from Canterbury Tales... is the story of three robbers who were told they would find death underneath a tree. What they find is a sack full of gold pieces, and they wind up killing each other over it.)

neil

Post by neil » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:15 pm

I was also totally transfixed by the tone and look of this movie, and I keep wondering about it.

Is it a problem that the sheriff's story is completely swallowed up by Javier Bardem? I really liked the way the movie ended, actually. I even read the screenplay and noted how they made the ending much bleaker on screen. It seems like a perfect reaction to Anton Chigurh.
The other story I thought of... I think it was from Canterbury Tales... is the story of three robbers who were told they would find death underneath a tree. What they find is a sack full of gold pieces, and they wind up killing each other over it.)
Oh yeah, that's right!

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:34 pm

http://www.nocountryforoldmen.com/podcast/

Audio discussion of the ending.