3:10 to Yuma

Discuss films.
Kazu
Site Admin

3:10 to Yuma

Post by Kazu » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:58 pm

I've been excited about 3:10 to Yuma since seeing the trailer a while ago. For me, there's nothing like a solid genre picture (especially for studying storytelling), and this one looked to deliver the goods. And it does. It's a great film, despite being a little rough around the edges, and the fantastic performances really carry the film. Christian Bale steals every scene even while Russell Crowe is delivering one of his finest performances in a very strong role.

I haven't seen the original 1957 Delmer Daves film, but I can see how the story relegates the film to the status of a minor classic, rather than as an all-time favorite (but it's oh-so-close). For the film to work, it relies quite heavily on film logic and the audience's suspension of disbelief. If you're willing to go with the film, and see it as a fable, you're in for quite an emotional journey. If you're more likely to scrutinize the story for its realism, which is a fair treatment when considering its very realistic style, then you may want to sit this one out. I personally loved it, since it touched upon quite a few of my favorite themes, and it has a great father-son element to it (I'm a sucker for that type of thing). In many ways it reminded me of another great recent "western", The Twilight Samurai. I highly recommend checking out both films.

jshamblin

Post by jshamblin » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:32 am

I loved this film, too. I couldn't agree more with Kazu or say it any better. It's a real treat to watch a western of this caliber on the big screen.

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:09 am

It was very very good. Russell Crowe and Christian Bale are two of my favorite actors and it was excellent to see them on the screen together. 3:10 to Yuma pretty much joins my list of good western flicks with Once Upon a Time in the West and Unforgiven.

James Mangold is quite the director. I was surprised at how much I liked Kate and Leopold years back. And I've been hearing a lot of great things about Walk the Line and Identity.
Remember to breathe.....

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:44 pm

I thought it was a pretty damn good western. Kazu's right that if you leave your suspension of disbelief out the door, you're going to find some major flaws. To get to THAT ending from THAT beginning is amazing and maybe unbelievable. The ending just hit me like a ton of bricks. It's all due to some very good acting. I think Russell Crowe had the toughest job of them all and its his acting that makes or breaks the end.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:43 pm

i was just glad to see another american western again! what i loved about this is that it didn't feel generic or try to do a whole lot of things people expect to see in westerns and then throw them in the film simply for the sake of showing stuff an audience expects to see in a western. but it still had those things! and they totally served the story. the characters are fantastic too. probably two of the more complected individuals i've seen on screen this year.

yeah- i loved this one. looking forward to jessie james now.

maxoid

Post by maxoid » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:35 pm

i only heard about this film the day after i saw the original, and the new one looks a whole lot better from the trailer. talk about suspension of disbelief, the 1957 version's ending had me laughing out loud.

from what i understand both films are based on an Elmore Leanord short story of the same name, and man can that guy spin a tale. i have high hopes for any film he's involved with.