Discuss films.
elara

Across the Universe

Post by elara » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:36 am

Release Date:
21 September 2007
Director: Julie Taymor

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pict ... euniverse/

Ok...is it Moulin Rouge in the 60's or....?

I like Julie Taymor, this at least looks like it will be visually interesting.
And you can't beat the soundtrack :wink:
~~ Elara

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:01 am

Something like that I think. It's one big homage to the Beatles. The main characters being named after their songs (Jude - "Hey Jude", Lucy - "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds")

Not eager to see this, but it does look gorgeous visually.
Remember to breathe.....

neil

Post by neil » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:52 am

Hmm it kinda looks like... Too much! I'll keep an eye out for the reviews though. I like Beatles music as much as the next guy, but a bunch of covers sung in a musical sounds like it could be really bad. Why don't they ever have original Beatles music in a movie? As far as I can remember, Wes Anderson is the only one to get away with this. (But they left the track out of the "Royal Tenenbaums" CD.) In "The Namesake," the Beatles were replaced by... Pearl Jam.

Now if they turn that Smiths musical into a movie, I'll be first in line. 8)

Dresden Codak

Post by Dresden Codak » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:32 am

Seeing the trailer a while back I thought it was the most bland movie ever, until the visuals started getting good and everything went all wacky. I am hesitant, as it does seem like just one giant Beatles tributes, but those surreal sequences do look really great, so I'll probably give it a shot.

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:42 am

I think I'm gonna love this.. :)

blujay

Post by blujay » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:52 am

the scores is beautiful. better than some covers of hey jude i've heard.

elara

Post by elara » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:30 am

Hmm the critics seem to be half and half on this..I'm trying to figure if it's it worth the ticket. Has anyone here seen it yet?
~~ Elara

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:11 am

just saw this yesterday and had a great time! it's a story i've seen or heard a thousand times with characters much the same way, but the way it's told through the music and lyrics of the beatles kept my interest. in fact, it was neat how the story's progression was in tune with the beatles musical and lyrical progression.

there were some real visual treats in the film (the strawberry fields part was fantastic) though at times it felt like the director was trying too hard. could have done without bono too. but overall- i'd like to go see this again. there's probably a lot of fun little details that i might have missed.

also, "hey jude" has been stuck in my head ever since i left the theater. :wink:

Tony

Post by Tony » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:59 am

I'd give it a pass. I saw it a few weeks ago, and I couldn't help wondering what it would have been like if they had made the exact same movie, but had used a variety of period music from different artists. I suppose I like the beatles well enough, but the fact that it was ALL beatles music was kind of superfluous.

*MAYBE SPOILERS?*

As for the visual style, there were some unique and clever bits, but overall I feel it lacked sophistication. There are a lot of interesting visual ideas, but in most cases they were executed in a fairly average way. There is one really clever bit of compositing at the start where they animate crashing waves using the shapes of newspaper pages, and it's a good effect. However, there's also the "I am the walrus" sequence which looks as though someone just hit the drugged-out hippie filter in Avid. It reminded me of the bit in LOTR where Cate Blanchett gets all evil before Frodo.

James_80

Post by James_80 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:53 pm

I really enjoyed this movie. If you are a Beatles purist please avoid this movie, however if you can handle well sung interpretations of their songs, dazzling visuals and a good love story then by all means get a ticket and go see it. I went with a good group of friends and we all had a good time.