The Bourne Ultimatum

Discuss films.
Steven

The Bourne Ultimatum

Post by Steven » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:49 pm

I just saw it a few hours ago, and I think it was amazing! I don't think they could have made a better ending to the Bourne movies. The last minute or so was spectacular! I loved it!

My rating: 5/5 stars!

Steven C.

jshamblin

Post by jshamblin » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:54 pm

It was ok. I think Guillermo would have been better in the title role. Oh well.

RocketLegend

Post by RocketLegend » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:33 am

those with weak stomachs should take Dramamine before seeing this movie. (or the one before it, for that matter)

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:04 pm

hah! that was pretty funny, jerry.

i thought this film was fantastic. it just did not let up. plus, i kinda prepared myself for the camera work after watching the first one. just don't sit too close to the screen for it.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:13 pm

I thought this was one of the best action films I have seen in awhile.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

jshamblin

Post by jshamblin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:06 pm

Actually, I really enjoyed it too. It's definitely one of the better movies this summer.

...I just wish someone would buy that man a steady cam.

roma

Post by roma » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:33 am

i kinda prepared myself for the camera work after watching the first one. just don't sit too close to the screen for it.
Thank goodness, I thought it was me and my horrible eyes. But overall I thought it was a good movie.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:30 pm

From my blog:

I recently bought the first two Jason Bourne films on DVD since I hadn't seen them before. Well, now I've watched all three, and I have to agree with the hype. This is one excellent series. The first film, The Bourne Identity directed by Doug Liman (Swingers), is a solid espionage thriller. It is simple, elegant, and loads of fun. The second in the series, The Bourne Supremacy directed by Paul Greengrass (United 93), is also simple and elegant, but while the first film brought a sense of fun to the espionage thriller in the vein of James Bond, the second brought a sense of pathos and grittiness.

Both are great films, since the stories (from Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne book series) are excellent, but they are strikingly different. In fact, I was slightly disappointed to see that much of what I loved about the first film- Bourne's confidence stemming from the discovery of his latent superspy powers - was sadly missing from the second film, though Greengrass did bring a sense of seriousness that really helped make the government side of things look more intimidating and, when it had to be, more menacing. The shakycam style of his films was also a bit distracting, bringing just about as much to the piece as it took away, but admittedly, the action scenes (especially car chases) were brought to a much higher level. This brings us to the third Bourne film, directed by Greengrass, and it looks like both he and the rest of the crew have been doing their homework. Now, with the massive critical success of United 93 behind him, Greengrass brings back a real sense of confidence to his shaky style, and the results are amazing.

Everything I loved about the first film - the clever against all odds matches that pit the truth seeker Bourne against a morally-confused-but-highly-effective Black Ops program are back in full glory (where it was waning a bit in Supremacy), and now they're bolstered with the hard-edged action that Greengrass already brought to the series, which is in turn backed up by the confidence in style and purpose that is evident in United 93. The excellent soundtrack by John Powell also does a lot to provide energy, building off the themes he created in the first two films. Storywise, the script is solid, and for those of you who remember everything that happened in the preceding installments, the material is gold. Like a beautiful poem, the writers have brought the series right back to the beginning, using moments from the past films to bring emotional resonance to this film's climax, while also cementing Jason Bourne's legacy, or what he represents to the people who enjoy his adventures.

All in all, the entire trilogy is a marvelous piece of work, and I encourage all storytellers to check out the Bourne films. By never giving the audience more than they need, and always giving just slightly more than enough, this crew has delivered a finely-balanced series that effectively delivers the goods.

elara

Post by elara » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:00 pm

It was very good, and it strayed from the "action shots where so much ACTION is happening that I can't tell what the heck is happening but...something is happening cus look at all the...action."

Just brilliantly planned chase scenes..and well, everything!

I LOOOOVED the last scene.

excellent.
~~ Elara

TheHead

Post by TheHead » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:22 pm

Just saw it a few hours ago.
Action movie the way it should to be. A perfect ending, to an amazing trilogy.

I really doubt that this kind of cinema can get much better than this.

Go see it if you haven't already.

Tony

Post by Tony » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:04 am

Oh man, I love this series too.

One of the really nice things is the attention to detail. For example (SPOILAR?), in Ultimatum Jason is ducked down in a car driving it backwards, and there's a quick shot showing him punching the rear-view mirror so he can actually see where he's going. This is not the kind of thoughtfulness we'd get in, say, oh, a James Bond film.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:12 pm

I forgot. Didn't James Bond drive his car out of a parking garage with the rear view mirror and a remote control in "Tomorrow Never Dies"? :P
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Tony

Post by Tony » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:31 pm

SonOfaRich wrote:I forgot. Didn't James Bond drive his car out of a parking garage with the rear view mirror and a remote control in "Tomorrow Never Dies"? :P
Hmm... dunno. Was it one of the Pearce Brosnan ones? *shudder*

It's just an example. They just feel more believable. But then, compared to some of those late Bond movies, "Bridge to Terebithia" was more believable. At least with 60's and 70's Bond it was enjoyably campy.