Name ten films that inspire you or your work....

Discuss films.
Og

Post by Og » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:07 pm

Kazu wrote:Seeing the hand drawn animation blown up that big was a bit distracting.
Yeah, that was one that didn't hold up very well in the large format. Also saw Beauty and the Beast on IMAX and it suffered similarly.
ImageImage

Sarah Mensinga

Post by Sarah Mensinga » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:23 pm

Kazu wrote:Sarah > I need to check out Fantasia 2000 again. I saw it on an IMAX screen and I think that may have been a mistake. Seeing the hand drawn animation blown up that big was a bit distracting. I remember I really enjoyed "Rhapsody in Blue" though.
I felt the same way when I saw it in IMAX too. The Magician's Apprentice was the hardest to sit through I thought. Such wonderful animation, but never meant to be seen that huge.

Nice list almo. I very much love The Three Amigos too. Also Sword in the Stone. Bill Peet is so great. :D

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:53 pm

Kazu wrote:Man, John Carpenter was one of the few filmmakers who really understood what it meant to make genre films. He would grab simple, exploitative concepts and run with them full steam ahead, layering it all with pathos where others would scoff. When he was strong, he was among the best the medium ever saw, and I think he really paved the way for filmmakers like Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez. He did make some clunkers, though. The Fog was okay, but it would be hard to defend Prince of Darkness or Village of the Damned. Heheh.
Was Carpenter one of those types of teachers that always made jokes or was he a no nonsense professor?

I had to take a film production class at USC due to my animation minor and all I ever got was Oscar Williams, the screenwriter behind BLACK BELT JONES!! (another great movie) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APTdjG6Xo9A He wrote stellar dialog like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMq-UH-orJY And many more memorable quotes. I have no idea why he never showed us any of his work.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:28 pm

gau dog wrote:Was Carpenter one of those types of teachers that always made jokes or was he a no nonsense professor?
He was a pretty serious and grumpy old man. Heheh.

Ashwara

Post by Ashwara » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:12 pm

thirdeyeh wrote:
2. Ikiru- My favorite Kurosawa so far.

Yes! That film is so beautiful. Kurasawa as a whole is extremely inspiring to me, but that's a favourite of mine. I also really enjoyed "Dreams."

Miyazaki's Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and the Princes Mononoke are really inspiring to me, not just because of their great visuals but because of the themeses therein. Maybe I'm a sucker for environmentalists, ha ha.

Casshern is anther one. The visuals are awesome, the fight scenes get me pumped, not to mention it has a great story and a great theme. Although it may take a few watches to understand, ha ha. But maybe not!

Of course there are many more, but I don't feel like lsiting them, ha ha. I've got to say though that I would have a lot of the ones mentioned on my list, and now I have many more movies to check out from these! Ha ha.

Oh! There is onemore that I have to mention: The Cat Returns, which is another studo Ghibli movie, although not by Miyazaki. There was a line from the baron which went something like, "If you create something with all your heart, it comes to life here." Somethinglike that. That film really touched me.

OK ONE MORE. Red Beard, by Kurosawa. Ikiru and Red Beard are my favourites by him, as I really took something away from them. ANyways, I really need to stopp editing this, as I could go n forever.

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:43 pm

I really need to stopp editing this, as I could go n forever.
Eeex-cellent. :twisted:
Remember to breathe.....

rey-o

Post by rey-o » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:15 am

(miyazaki love note approaching!!!)

miyazaki is like, super-uber influencial! especially so here in the flight forums, it's creators and fans.

Miyazaki and Ghibli's films can in some strange way speak to everyone, to adults, to kids, to people from around the world. it does so with a kind of gentleness and elegance that i can't fully articulate.

this is about as close to 'magic' as i can observe, and its that same magic that we as artists are all trying to create.
cheers,
rey-o
www.rey-o.com

elara

Post by elara » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:34 pm

I forgot the main point of this thread, to list movies that inspire us as artists or just ones we plain love...I suppose if I made two lists there would be repeats for my favorites but some would be only in "as artist," because they capture me for different reasons:

I have to give props to #1 because it inspired me to become an artist in the first place:

The Little Mermaid - I was 8, I cried at "Under the Sea," because I was just so overwhelmed..animation rocked my world and Animators were the gods!

Beauty and the Beast- just lovely

The Nightmare Before Christmas- style and mood and a wonderful world. I love the sets, the heart and the story.

Edward Scissorhands- see above

Far From Heaven- this is not a complex story, and in some ways a bit mundane, but the art direction- the COLOR is fantastic.

Almost Famous- Great characters, charming story.

Dirty Pretty Things - great mood, colors, odd characters

Punch Drunk Love - This movie made me so nervous and anxious. That was the point I think. The art direction is also very lovely.

Logan's Run- old kitschy sci-fi, my mom made me watch it when I was little and since then it's one of my favorite moves.

The Sting - Great characters, spunk, and art direction.

I think that's my ten...
~~ Elara

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:56 pm

Elara, that's a great list of films. I saw The Sting and Dirty Pretty Things for the first time about a year ago, and they both became immediate favorites. I think, inadvertently, I've seen The Little Mermaid more times than any other (I have two younger sisters). It's a great film as well. Disney sure could use Howard Ashman's help right about now...

elara

Post by elara » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:11 pm

Oh I know...he was so brilliant :(

He is missed!
~~ Elara

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:57 am

Kazu wrote:Elara, that's a great list of films. I saw The Sting and Dirty Pretty Things for the first time about a year ago, and they both became immediate favorites.
I need to see The Sting for myself. No actor today has the charisma that Redford and Newman had back in the day.

It's too bad Newman retired. Now we won't see another team up. :(
Remember to breathe.....

elara

Post by elara » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:55 am

I need to see Butch Cassidy!
~~ Elara

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:59 am

I love Butch Cassidy. Though I keep hearing The Sting was much better.
Remember to breathe.....

elara

Post by elara » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:05 pm

"The New World," also inspires me a lot.

It's visually stunning.(But so depressing!!! )

I also LOVE the opening titles by Kyle Cooper.
~~ Elara

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:38 am

1) Seven Samurai
2) House of Flying Daggers
3) Unforgiven
4) The Hidden Blade
5) The Princess Bride
6) Pan's Labyrinth
7) Memento
8 ) Leon: The Professional
9) Princess Mononoke
10) Labyrinth

For all those who listed Seven Samurai, give 'The Hidden Blade' a try. Similar to Twilight Samurai, but I liked it a little more.