Name ten films that inspire you or your work....

Discuss films.
Og

Post by Og » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:41 am

This is really a cool thread! I love seeing all the different answers. Some of you have listed films I've never even heard of. Gives me new fodder for my List of Films to See. Ah, I love movies...

No time for my own list right now, just wanted to pop in and parrot the sentiment that you guys have great taste. And extra kudos for Sarah - The Iron Giant makes me want to write and draw.
ImageImage

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:23 am

Iron Giant... yep.. thats a good one I can watch over and over.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:25 pm

Yeah, The Iron Giant is way up there on my favorites list. I can watch that film all day. I love it so much. I also remember how sad I was on opening day, when I was at the theater with only about 10 other people and they messed up the anamorphic projection, stretching the screen for a good half of the film. The Iron Giant deserved much better treatment all around when it was released. I'm so glad it's now a classic.

Ted > just ordered The Apartment!

rey-o

Post by rey-o » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:53 pm

iron giant, heck yeah!

man, all of you guys have such good taste, that i'm afraid my list may be a bit redundant!

(in no particular order)

evil dead 2
old boy
the royal tenenbaums
Laputa
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
labyrinth
the neverending story (i have to watch that at least once a year)
the goonies (a pure movie about adventure)
dawn of the dead-original (surprisingly intelligent and relevant)
the five deadly venoms (because i felt like i needed to represent some kung fu love!)

to be honest, I have to say I like following directors more over than specific movies, inwhich the list list would look something like this:

Michel Gondry
Spike Jonze
Brad Bird
Hayao Miyazaki
Wes Anderson
cheers,
rey-o
www.rey-o.com

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:44 pm

Evil Dead 2. Heh heh. I'll be seeing that this weekend in the theatre.

Groooovy. :D
I also remember how sad I was on opening day, when I was at the theater with only about 10 other people and they messed up the anamorphic projection, stretching the screen for a good half of the film.
......dude, that would have driven me nuts.

Me and my friends once were watching Mulholland Drive and the first twenty minutes were waaay out of focus. Man, everyone in the theatre caused a ruckus until the projectionist snapped out of it, and refocused the picture. Oy.

The Iron Giant was great. I caught it on Cartoon Network when it was being shown for 24 hours a few years ago. Really makes you wish Disney would get it's act together and get back to doing quality 2-D animation....something in the like of The Fox and the Hound, Bambi or Fantasia (Fantasia 2000 doesn't count, ugh).
Remember to breathe.....

Sarah Mensinga

Post by Sarah Mensinga » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:36 pm

I just watched Fantasia 2000 again recently and was surprised to discover how much I like it. Aside from those celebrity intros (skip!), many of the shorts are wonderful. The Gershwin one is so clever and Donald Duck of all characters made me tear up... almost.

Definitely worth a second viewing if you only saw it once in theaters like me.

I think what I found really interesting about it when comparing it to the original, is that many of the pieces in Fantasia 2000 tell fully realized stories. Where in the original, aside from the Magician's Apprentice, most of the pieces were solely about imagery and movement.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:41 pm

Oh man. Evil Dead 2 was my favorite film for the longest time. I have three copies of the film on VHS! Great film. I also had a fondness for Darkman, and even saw it twice in the theaters. When Raimi has a good script to work with, and cartoonish character portrayals are the order of the day, he's a hard director to beat. :D

On a similar note, the work of the Coen Brothers really inspired me to pursue film over illustration. When I saw Miller's Crossing for the first time, I was floored to see what was essentially a living cartoon. It was probably the first time I really thought about who was behind the camera, rather than just who's in front of it. And to take this topic even further on a tangent, during college I wrote a paper on the art of violence as seen in Miller's Crossing and it was for a class being taught by John Carpenter! I visited Carpenter during every one of his office hours and I would pester him about his films. He would veer the conversation away to other films made by other directors and would say "let's talk about REAL films. I just make stupid monster movies." Heheh. Carpenter's films have had such a huge impact on me (I probably should have listed Big Trouble in Little China on my ten films list), and I used much of his work as inspiration for Amulet as well.

otisframpton

Post by otisframpton » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:26 am

Some of Carpenter's work is really underrated. I think "Starman" is one of the great love stories of the 80s.

-Otis
Last edited by otisframpton on Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:58 am

I watched Starman so many times when I was a kid. It broke my heart. Heheh. Another underrated Carpenter film is In the Mouth of Madness. When it came out in the theaters, I loved it and saw it twice, but maybe I'll think of it differently now that time has passed. This is reminding me I need to get a bunch of Carpenter films for my collection as well. The fact that I don't have DVDs of The Thing or Big Trouble in Little China surprises me. I love those films.

rey-o

Post by rey-o » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:04 am

bonus fact:

amongst my friends we like to use the Big Trouble in Little China ninja hand gesture as a greeting, still even to this day
cheers,
rey-o
www.rey-o.com

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:22 am

Sarah Mensinga wrote:I just watched Fantasia 2000 again recently and was surprised to discover how much I like it. Aside from those celebrity intros (skip!), many of the shorts are wonderful. The Gershwin one is so clever and Donald Duck of all characters made me tear up... almost.

Definitely worth a second viewing if you only saw it once in theaters like me.

I think what I found really interesting about it when comparing it to the original, is that many of the pieces in Fantasia 2000 tell fully realized stories. Where in the original, aside from the Magician's Apprentice, most of the pieces were solely about imagery and movement.
Hmm....I guess I'll have to look at it again. When you make that point about realized stories, I might be able to appreciate it much more thinking of it that way. But yeah, the celebrity intros annoyed the hell out of me. They really ruined the experience for me.

John Carpenter for a film professor? Damn, son. That's a story to tell your kids. :D Though I'm sorry to say Little Trouble is the only Carpenter film I've ever seen and I vaguely remember it. I would like to see The Thing, Escape From New York, and Assault on Precinct 13.

Speaking of the Coens, I'm really psyched about No Country for Old Men. I love Cormac McCarthy and I already know the Coens make outstanding films.
Remember to breathe.....

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:55 am

I love Coen films for their characters... they write the most interesting characters. They cast perfectly too. Barton Fink is my favorite of their filmography.

Thinking about films, Boogie Nights is a great film, I have watched that one more than 10 times... I became a John C Reily fan watching that film.

Kazu, you need to talk to Josh from The Those Guys, he LOVES Carpenter, like one of his favorite directors of all time. He defends The Fog and every other Carpenter film. We make fun of Josh for it, we make fun of Carpenter's soundtracks, he hates us for it.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:53 pm

Man, John Carpenter was one of the few filmmakers who really understood what it meant to make genre films. He would grab simple, exploitative concepts and run with them full steam ahead, layering it all with pathos where others would scoff. When he was strong, he was among the best the medium ever saw, and I think he really paved the way for filmmakers like Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez. He did make some clunkers, though. The Fog was okay, but it would be hard to defend Prince of Darkness or Village of the Damned. Heheh.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:57 pm

Sarah > I need to check out Fantasia 2000 again. I saw it on an IMAX screen and I think that may have been a mistake. Seeing the hand drawn animation blown up that big was a bit distracting. I remember I really enjoyed "Rhapsody in Blue" though.

almo

Post by almo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:01 pm

I don't really like making comments about movies a lot, but I want to comment here just to see if I can kind of force myself to stop and think about what movies have actually influenced me. I don't really pause to think about stuff like this too often, so it's a good exercise. I don't know if my list will be quite as interesting as everyone else's, though. I'm not such a story buff. It's all about the visuals and originality to me...

The Sword in the Stone - Man, I love the animation in this one. And I am obsessed with people/things transmogrifying, so I love all of the scenes where Merlin transforms them...I love this movie.

FLCL< - Does this count as a movie? Maybe not. But again, I love the animation and design. And music. And robots...I could go on...

The Three Amigos - It's hilarious. And I love their outfits. And it's hilarious. My kind of humor.

The Empire Strikes Back - Man, this is the best lightsaber fight of them all. And I'm obsessed with lightsabers. And since the Millennium Falcon is the best designed space vehicle ever.

Spirited Away - The animation and the design of all of the different spirits gets my imagination going.

King Kong - Peter Jackson's, that is. I now have my 4 year old an 2 year old daughters constantly wanting to watch it. We can watch the T-rex fight over and over. It makes me want to create a gorilla character of some sort every time I watch it.

End of Eva - Man this one is cool. When large robot/monster fights are done right, it's the best, and they are done perfect in this one.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Lupin as a werewolf was great. Definitely the best Harry Potter movie.

And some recent ones that have really got me inspired...

Transformers - I didn't think I would like the designs, but it grew on me quite a bit. I really enjoyed the film.

Ratatouille - Again, I'm not such a story buff, so I just really enjoyed the animation. I love when rats and/or mice are done right.

Yeah, hrm. Okay, so that's my list....yeah...