Jet Jones

Post comics.
Royden

Post by Royden » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:58 pm

Sorry willmj, just saw this post today for the first time.

Book 2 is being wrapped up this month. 2 more books to go! I'll post more images in a few weeks when the tones come back.

Thanks for the interest!

Recently updated my blog with a few images at the bottom
http://roydenlepp.blogspot.com/

-royden

geoff_sebesta

Post by geoff_sebesta » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:52 pm

I really like the designs. The composition is solid and sense of drama is palpable. You seem to spend a lot of time at eye level, which is odd for a jetpack comic. It makes it feel less like he's flying.

Jet looks really cool. Instantlly identifiable as a plucky kid hero.

It would be neat if you separated Jet from the robot a little more. A very
simple way to do that would be to grey the blacks on the robot just the tiniest bit -- do it until it's literally just *barely* noticable. That would make Jet by far the highest-contrast thing on the page, so he would clearly be closer to the viewer and also clearly be the most important thing on the page. Page one panel two is hard to read because he is the same color as the robot.

For maximum drama you could switch the order of the panels on page three -- just swap two and four, for example. That way the viewer is going in and not away.

Page four -- farmer should be looking up more, or further away. As it is it feels like he's looking at the knees. You could make him a lot lighter in panel three, too -- I didn't even see him there until I went back and looked for him.

That lettering doesn't look good. It's the only lettering in the pages -- you could make it a lot more interesting.

I love it when the robot busts through the wall. Here's the thing -- if you're not going to use sound effects (which I totally respect) you should make the explosive panels a lot splinterier. Not just this one, but also the one where the chain snaps. I think the robot is scarier silent but you should sell the sound in the drawing more thoroughly. Same with the chain -- I could hear the *plink* when I read it, but it could have been sold in the art even more.

Hope I'm not coming across as overly critical. This is honestly very good. It's just a couple things that could make it amazing.

EDIT: Whoops, just noticed this post was nearly a year old. Well, if you ever decide to go back and polish up the first part again...

Royden

Post by Royden » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:23 pm

Thanks Geoff, I appreciate the critique. I'm always open to hearing how I can improve. I have no idea how you saw those pages, as far as I know the links are broken..but maybe thet're just broken for me.

Yeah this book is essentially in the bag - publisher approved! - It's out of my hands now, thank goodness!

RocknOats

Post by RocknOats » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:07 am

Hey I love these! I like your style as well. Is that Jet on your website? Racing down the dirt road after the cars? Good stuff.

Og

Post by Og » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:13 am

Still on for a Fall 2009 release?
ImageImage

Royden

Post by Royden » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:15 am

Yes. Sorry for the wait. Comics don't pay the bills and I have a wife who likes nice things :)

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:23 am

Royden, I can't wait to buy these books when they come out! David was fantastic... I really love your style and storytelling sense. This story looks dang fun.

And I admire your perseverence and dedication to make it through the long haul. Some of us have trouble finishing a 20-pager.

Keep cranking them out. These are definitely going to have an audience!

-Seth
Image Image

Og

Post by Og » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:58 am

Royden - don't apologize for the wait! I know how it is. I was just making sure we're still on track for the original release date, and I'm excited that we are.

Roll on.
ImageImage

Royden

Post by Royden » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:27 am

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. It's hard getting up early before work to work on this series. I can't wait until it's finished and under my belt.

agent44

Post by agent44 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:50 pm

wow, great stuff, Royden! I'm definitely going to be looking for your work.