Pages From My Graphic Novel - NEW PAGES

Post comics.
thirdeyeh

Pages From My Graphic Novel - NEW PAGES

Post by thirdeyeh » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:01 pm

Hey guys I was encouraged to put my work up on this forum after listening to the Flight panel. This sequence is the opening four pages of my graphic novel. Please let me know what you think.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting page four to be the same size, but it gives you a closer view of the art I guess :shock:
Last edited by thirdeyeh on Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:18 pm

Very nice work. I like the sort of classic look you've got going. Not to mention the concept of two old hick'ish guys saving the world is fantastic.

Look forward to seeing more of your work. Welcome to the forums.

lhrybyk

Post by lhrybyk » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:15 pm

It's a common idea of saving the world, but somehow they way you presented it made it intriguing. The style is solid and I look forward to reading more.

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:23 pm

The most easiest and obvious thing you can fix is the font. There are some good ones for free at Blambot.com. It'd be a good idea to read up on lettering and word balloons too.

Jehucampos

Post by Jehucampos » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:35 pm

I am intrigued indeed. Can't wait to see what happens next! Looking forward to it.
"Be well, do good work, and keep in touch."

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:40 pm

Thanks guys for the feedback. :D

Deantrippe - I will definately look up stuff on lettering the book, though the way I did these pages is different than what I am doing now. It looks much cleaner. Now I'm doing all of the lettering after I'm done with the art. As for the font, I understand it's different, but I will probably be keeping it. Because I feel it suits the story and it feels right to me. Though I know not everyone agrees. But I'll check the page out, maybe I'll find something better! I checked out your page too, looks great. I'm going to try and sit down for awhile and read some more.[/quote]
Last edited by thirdeyeh on Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jehucampos

Post by Jehucampos » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:46 pm

The font definitely works. It's Papyrus, isn't it? It gives it that treasure map feel. I would suggest having a consistent size, though.
"Be well, do good work, and keep in touch."

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:53 pm

thirdeyeh wrote:Deantrippe - I will definately look up stuff on lettering the book, though the way I did these pages is different than what I am doing now. It looks much cleaner. Now I'm doing all of the lettering after I'm done with the art. As for the font, I understand it's different, but I will probably be keeping it. Because I feel it suits the story and it feels right to me. Though I know not everyone agrees. But I'll check the page out, maybe I'll find something better! I checked out your page too, looks great. I'm going to try and sit down for awhile and read some more.
Thanks. Well it's your call, of course. In my opinion, Papyrus is the most overused and overrated fonts these days. It's on tv show's opening credits, self-published comics' titles, and every small restaurant's menu. Heck I was even using it back in 2001 on a magazine cover I designed for my college. (Back then I used Papyrus and Magneto a LOT.)

I tend to point out lettering as a place to work on, since it's a weak spot in a lot of creators' skill sets (including my own). I think it's because we pay so much attention to the words, that we miss the craft of actually putting them on the page. DC Comics has a Guide to Coloring and Lettering worth checking out. :)

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:43 pm

The font looks good, but if it's Papyrus, you're going to get a lot of flack for it. I suggest going out and finding a font that looks almost exactly like Papyrus. Try www.1001freefonts.com (I don't like Blambot's as much- they're too comicky and they have stricter licensing arrangements)

The comic looks good. The only thing I would suggest is to keep from using too many frames where one frame is the same as the last with slight differences. It's a good technique when used sparingly, because it emphasises those small differences, but used too much I think readers will start skimming over frames too quickly. I do like the opening page, though. It really works there.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:49 am

Actually the font used is Tempus Sans. Its a slightly more dramatized version of papyrus I think. I agree though lettering is often overlooked for its place in storytelling. I find especially lacking in a lot of web comics. I spend an awful lot of time trying to figure out where a particular person is talking and so on. So definately thanks for that crit. I always want constructive critism. Know what I mean.
The font looks good, but if it's Papyrus, you're going to get a lot of flack for it.
Taking flak for a font seems a bit unnecessary. Granted there are times it makes no *bleeping* sense. Like if I have a fish talking or something and the font is like a robot or machine looking font. It doesn't serve the story there (unless its a robot fish). I just don't understand why it bothers people really, if its clear storytelling. It just seems like such a matter of personal opinion to me in most cases. But what bothers me doesn't always bother someone else, and vice versa. I mean you'll never make everyone happy! I mean if I use comic sans forget about it lol.
The comic looks good. The only thing I would suggest is to keep from using too many frames where one frame is the same as the last with slight differences. It's a good technique when used sparingly, because it emphasises those small differences, but used too much I think readers will start skimming over frames too quickly. I do like the opening page, though. It really works there.
It really is a game the storyteller plays you know? That speeding up or slowing down of time within a page, has to be done for its effect not just because. On the other hand if all I did was use action to action shots it could become just as monotonous. I have to say though that it is something that I really do fight with. I love paced storytelling! 8)

Thanks you guys I really do appreciate just talking to people about his stuff. This is my first venture into posting this stuff onthe web and all.

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:00 pm

About the font: I agree and disagree with both of you. Here's the thing. In using commen fonts for a comic, trained eyes (fellow artists, illustartors, critics etc.) Will notice it quickly and potentialy concider it unorigional.

It's the same thing with painting and printmaking. if you stick with out of the tube paints and inks, you will get griped at by art critics for not mixing up different shades.

Now, the common man/woman/reader will not notice your font and probably wont care at all.

By using a slightly more unique/custom/ or handwritten font it can help give a more personal look, and your big critics wont give you as much grief for it.

I'm looking around for a font myself for my strip, i only tossed comic sans in there because it was there, and my handwriting is horrific.

Ultimately it's up to you though. The font didn't really bother me, and i didn't pay much attention to it until it was brought up.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:02 pm

Since this is not in fact Papyrus, I fully retract my slightly negative comments about it. Like I said, it looks good. In my opinion Papyrus looks good too, but the dislike of Papyrus and Comic Sans seems fairly universal among designers. Fonts are a delicate and particular art that I can't claim to be an expert in, so I tend to trust these people's opinions on such things.

I'm waiting for them to create a new font called "jumping off a bridge," so I can start using it based on their say-so. :P
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:57 pm

jdalton wrote:I'm waiting for them to create a new font called "jumping off a bridge," so I can start using it based on their say-so.
That's messed up LOL! :lol: I'm gonna say that for me it's important for the font to fit the work, but whether or not its something everyone uses, as in popular and or hated, isn't something I'm too particularly worried about. For me I just want to be clear in my storytelling. And hopefully the font helps to give the "feel" for the story, but if comic sans would have worked best that would have been what I'd chosen. However I do want to create my own font for this or other reasons. Does anyone know of a good program that you can try for free?

RobPeters

Post by RobPeters » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:37 am

I like what you've done with the comic so far, but there's not much storytelling happening yet, so it's kinda hard to judge. I would like to see more.
I don't mind your font choice, but I'm bugged by the balloons. They're too round, too perfect. They text doesn't quite fit in it.
If you're looking for a font creation software. I would recomend High-Logic's Font Creator. It has a 30-day demo, which might be enough for you to design one or two fonts.
Again, I like what I see in your comic, and, if you have more, I encourage to continue posting.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:07 pm

I thought i would take a minute and talk about the scope of this story and my intentions. This thing is going to be quite an epic. It's been a story that's been rolling in my mind for years and was largely based on my grandfather's death. It has continued to grow and grow into this idea that I can't wait to get out of me. I've been waiting my whole life to find a story that so well captures my imagination that I feel I can do a full scale epic and still have a deep character story. I will be making this story available on the web, but I have goals that I want to reach in completing a chunk of it before I make it completely public. I have a great deal of it done already, so it won't be very far from now. It's something that's important to me and I whole heartedly believe in it, but I am trying to have a plan going into it. I want to be committed.

I don't want to get into the specifics of the story because I think the first four pages gives enough away without giving anything away. The revelations in this story are important to be found out as you go.

How do you guys approach a new project?