Persona Animus

Post comics.
Sankam

Persona Animus

Post by Sankam » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:13 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm working on a comic I hope to start posting regularly in autumn, entitled Persona Animus. I made a work-in-progress sample to show around at the San Diego Comic Con-- I nervously expose it here to the Flight forums' Tough Love. :shock:

http://www.sankam.net/Ashcan0.html

The final version will have color and inks, though I have a lot to learn about both. This is the kind of style I am aiming for:

I am most grateful for C&C. Thanks!

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:45 pm

that was pretty good. some really good draiwng going on there. kinda felt like i walked into the middle of a movie or something but i think that's the point. can't wait to see the colored version!

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:25 pm

This looks really nice. Your art has an old school disney look to it. Look forward to the colored version =)

Sankam

Post by Sankam » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:57 pm

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Mister Cow-- yeah, this is actually scene two of act one. Pretty light on story, but a scene that wasn't going to change, so I could continue tweaking the rest of the storyline without confusing anyone later on. It was meant to feel like a promotional movie clip.

I need to study tigers a lot more.

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:46 pm

Strong storytelling and character designs, there. I think the archer doe is pretty unique. The tiger looks pretty good, but it seems like it should be much bigger (in comparison to the doe).

Nice job!

-Seth
Image Image

Sankam

Post by Sankam » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:30 pm

Seth, thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, that tiger was my nemesis as well as the heroes'. I couldn't make it look the same way twice, the same size twice, and I struggled with every single drawing of it. It looks lots bigger as it is grappling with Moira, but I think you're right, it's too small in every longer shot.

Thanks!

Vince

Post by Vince » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:19 pm

I don't know if Flight is Tough Love... maybe morel like... Mildly Admonishing Love?

I like the female mouse-type character a lot. Drawn EXTRAORDINARILY well. Like, Disney-level well.

My major observation is that your command of characters far outstrips your ability to draw backgrounds and environments. (I think I'm the same way.) This is something that will probably take more observation and practice, but I think it would make the world feel truly "real" without losing any of its charm. (Since your characters already have it in spades)

As it is though, the acting on the characters is great -- really fluid, lifelike, and dynamic. Feel free to post any gesture thumbnails... I think I could learn a lot from your characters' fluidity. Thanks for showing! :D

Sankam

Post by Sankam » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:51 am

Vince, thanks for the feedback!

Good call on the backgrounds. Environments and architecture are going to be one of my next big hurdles. It is something I have rarely thought about in the past, since I am usually drawing individual figures with minimal environment while sketching. I will work on it!

Hyptosis

Post by Hyptosis » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:10 pm

I think the lighting is fantaastic and the disney/adventure feel to it instantly makes it lovable and charming. Thank you so much for sharing it with us and please share more of your work when you're ready. ^_^

kiolia

Post by kiolia » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:41 pm

Awesome work! I'm looking forward to reading more. The characterization is sweet :)

Sankam

Post by Sankam » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:37 am

Thank you! =)

I'll let everyone know when there is more to see. Soon!

Rad Sechrist

re

Post by Rad Sechrist » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:21 am

Hey, good to see you here. It was nice meeting you at comicon.

ed

Post by ed » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:50 am

hey, great work here.
I like your use of colors, and how you are building the forms with your strokes.
keep it up.

Sankam

Post by Sankam » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:17 pm

Yay, people still wandering onto this thread. Thanks for taking a look.