Best Friends

Post comics.
Frank Stockton

Best Friends

Post by Frank Stockton » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:05 pm

Hello All,

Another color experiment. I guess I should explain...the color experiment I did with this one and the last one as well was a duotone. Not so much a color combination experiment as teaching myself how to make a duotone. This comic could be printed exactly as it appears (I thinK) with just black and red ink.

Anyway, these experiments are taking longer and longer, but I enjoy doing them. I don't think the drawing is as attractive as some other stuff I've done but I'm really happy with the over-all composition of the piece and the way it looks colored.

Comic-con sanity and rest advice: every few hours or so at Comic-Con this year I retreated to an empty spot upstairs at a table and pulled this puppy out to get some drawing done (I want to feel like I'm at least a little bit productive when I'm there!), and it kept me feeling good and energized. The 'con is pretty draining both physically and spiritually (figure that out yourself). By the way, it was awesome meeting those of you that I say rude things to all the time on these forums. Hopefully now you know I really am a jerk and am not just pretending.

that part was a joke.

--Frank

p.s. oh and I went back and re-read all your comics if I couldn't remember which one you did :p
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:33 pm

Heheheh. This one is just great...

donna

Post by donna » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:05 pm

:D Funny! Did you color it by hand or computer?

davidhopkins

Post by davidhopkins » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:14 pm

I like this. The SFX worked nicely: Tikka! takka! tikka! takka!

And like any good short work or poem, the title did a lot to help set the expectations.
:: antihero ::

elisio

Post by elisio » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:47 pm

excellent!! really.

this may not be the most attractive drawings you've done but as a comic it works perfectly at conveying mood and emotions. the faces of your characters alone are priceless.

as for your experiments with color, so far so good, me thinks :)

e.

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:07 am

Another slice o' fried gold, Frank! Thant duo-tone stuff sure is cool, I love the old-school printing processes, it's all about the vintage man. Oh, and the comic is very cool too. Love the sqirrelly angry thought bubbles in panels 3 and 5. Oh, and great font work! All good! And produced at Comcon! Remarkable!

Lorenzo!
Buy and preview books by The Etherington BrothersHERE!

Vince

Post by Vince » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:50 am

I like the pacing and the staging (like when that guy walking over gets cropped). Fun stuff.

almo

Post by almo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:58 am

Once again, the colors look great. Would you have colored it this way even if you weren't using duotone? And I like the character designs. Kind of remind me of Bert and Ernie...

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:05 am

Looks great Frank. The colors once again look awsome.

Every time I see one of your new pieces, it inspires me to draw. So keep it up!!

:)

Frank Stockton

boys and girls

Post by Frank Stockton » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:57 am

Hey guys,

glad you're liking it. I'll answer some quick questions and then be on my way....

Almo, I wouldn't have colored it like this without duotone, I was originally thinking of using three colors, a pink, baby blue, and yellow scheme, but then I was thinking "maybe I can do this or something similar with only two colors." So I went into Photoshop (this answers Donna's question), and re-colored it with a black line layer and a blue layer and a pink layer, and planned for it to be on a cream colored paper. After finishing that, i thought it might be stronger if the black layer was a color as well, and I wanted to see how much range I could get out of just two different hues instead of three since some of the other cartoons I've done were only two colors (for continuity's sake) because I'd like to make these into a book some day. Are you still with me? Anyway, I combined the blue layer with the black one and after experimenting with different color combinations, settled on a bright red and a bright blue. But at the last second I decided to change the bright blue to a black so it would imitate the old-time color scheme they used to use in the heyday of 2-color magazine cover printing.

I hope that was helpful, if not at least confusing.
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

al_johnson

Post by al_johnson » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:31 pm

Great stuff Frank. Your comics never fail to make me laugh.

Vince

Post by Vince » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:01 am

Frank, that was the most boring post ever.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:35 am

Vince wrote:Frank, that was the most boring post ever.
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

inkfarm

Post by inkfarm » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:22 pm

niec stuff dude