House of Sugar

Post comics.
hope

House of Sugar

Post by hope » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:06 pm

Introducing House of Sugar, an enchanting new webcomic by Rebecca Kraatz! If Lynda Barry was Canadian and obsessed with the 1940s, her comics would be a lot like this: funny, sad, and always pitch-perfect. Bryan Lee O'Malley calls Sugar "criminally overlooked," and he ain't joking.

Sugar was originally serialized in Halifax alternative paper The Coast, where it rubbed shoulders with A Softer World and comics by Marc Bell. After moving to Halifax I immediately fell in love with it, and when Rebecca decided to end the strip and focus on other things, I was determined to bring it to a wider audience. I'll be publishing a print collection in late 2006 and am still in the middle of proofing the book, but every readthrough is a delight. It's that kind of strip.

(And by the way, if you're a Canadian, you probably recognize Rebecca's work from several of Joel Plaskett's album covers. He'll be writing the foreword for the book!)

Every Monday through Friday for the next five months. There's an RSS feed on the site, and a LJ feed here if that floats your boat.

hope

Post by hope » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:20 pm

Last week the okay strips ran, but starting this week all the HoS strips are good. And they only get better! If you don't give this comic a try, you're doing yourselves a disservice!

Tony

Post by Tony » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:24 pm

Ha ha ha ha, okay. I was initially um... not too taken with the art style, but after reading a couple... it really is super-lovely! How could I have been so superficial? Mm... life lessons.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:54 pm

I agree that more people should take a look at this! Some of her later strips are simply amazing.

hope

Post by hope » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:10 pm

Rebecca may not be a great draftsman, but she can put a comic together like nobody's business! Anyway, the art gets much richer as the strip progresses.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:59 pm

I've been reading these and I'm into them. And I really like that cover illustration. It's stunning.
Last edited by Kazu on Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

hanzo

Post by hanzo » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:14 am

I think I won't be able to find that here in Italy... hmm... :)
too bad because it looks/sounds great!
BOLZANO COMICS FESTIVAL 2009

less is more... but not enough is not enough
my website: weblog.papernoise.net

neil

Post by neil » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:46 am

Yeah, I wish more journal comics could be like this. She really "gets it." 8) I know I would have been stunned to find something like this in a newspaper. I can't wait to see more, from both her and Tulip Tree Press!