STUDIOBLINKTWICE! The BIG thread!! New images every week!

Post comics.
Lorenzo

STUDIOBLINKTWICE! The BIG thread!! New images every week!

Post by Lorenzo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:44 am

EDIT: This is updated to give those of you coming to the thread for the first time a little overview...

My brother Bob (writer) and I (Art) as The Etherington Brothers have been producing original comic material since 2003 and are the creative team behind Malcolm Magic, Monkey Nuts, Baggage, Tusk and MOON! We have also produced comic work for Tranformers, Star Wars, Terminator Salvation, Dreamworks' Monsters Vs Aliens and Dreamworks' Madagascar. Our comic clients include Lucasarts, The Random House book group, The Guardian Newspaper, Harper Collins, David Fickling Books, DreamWorks, Viper Comics, Slave Labor Graphics and Titan.

This is our sketchbook...

Lorenzo!

Last edited by Lorenzo on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Buy and preview books by The Etherington BrothersHERE!

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:06 am

So, today's offering is a web-only flyer I produced for One Night in the City. Hope you guys dig it.

More tomorrow!

Lorenzo!

Last edited by Lorenzo on Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:14 am

Okay, so I'm gonna try and keep these postings nice and varied, which I hope will keep it all interesting for you folks! Today we've got a little character design I did for the currently-in-production issue 10 of Malcolm Magic. This ole' girl's name is MRS. D.

More tomorrow!

Lorenzo!

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:53 am

Okay, so we've had some One Night in the City, a little Malcolm, I know what you're thinking: "Show us some MOON!, man!". Well, okay, as you asked so nice...

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:57 pm

Man, this stuff is great!

That One Night in the City is an interesting idea! I like the funky perspective. And the coloring... wow.

-Seth
Image Image

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:33 am

Hey Seth! Man, thanks for posting, I really apprecite that! One Night in the City is a real labour of love for me, and as such I wanted to set it up as a webstory where I could take as long as I wanted on every panal. Because of that, it's updated monthly, with a minimum of one panal, though sometimes there will be many more going on in a month. It's also the first (and probably only!) story written by me not my brother, and it's silent throughout (not much writing then, hoho!). Glad you dig it, hope you check back in from time to time, bud, lots more on the way!

Here's a style experiment for MOON! I did as part of our buddy Gringo's JAM PAGE. Take part if you want!

And hey, guys, Happy Easter!

Lorenzo!

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:06 am

Well, it's Easter Sunday here in the UK, and I hope you're all having a great time wherever you are. As it's a holiday for me, I thought I'd post something a bit different and (hopefully!) a bit special. So here's a pic I did of a Girl. Don't get the chance to do much stuff like this, as I'm always drawing that rabbit or strange aliens! Hoho! Hope some of you like it!

Happy Holidays!

Lorenzo!

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:21 am

Okay, so here's another web flyer for One Night in the City. I think this goes a good way to summing up the style, feel and mood I'm trying to get across with the story. Hope you dig, folks!

Lorenzo!

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:46 pm

Someday I want to be able to color like you, Lorenzo.

I'm enjoying all of these!

-Seth
Image Image

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:12 pm

Hey Seth! Man, that's a great compliment, thanks, pal! Glad you're liking the work, more fun stuff coming this week, palski! Thanks for posting, dude!

Okay, so I thought I'd post a little piece of concept art from MOON! today. We've got around 300 pages of environment, character and vehicle sketches already in the can for MOON!, so expect to see more stuff like this reeeeeal soon!

Lorenzo!

The_Noik

Post by The_Noik » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:32 am

I really wonder how you make them look so awesome,
keep em coming,for this stuff is awesome! :D

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:36 pm

The Noik! Man, good to have you back in here, dude! Thank you for the feedback, man! It's what keeps me going! Hope you like today's post!

Well, folks, ole' Lorenzo's off to Edinborougugh-burg in Sc-c-c-cotland to do a few day's sketchin', so as this is the last post for this week, I thought I'd better make it a big one. So here, at a nice size for once, is the cover art for issue 9 of Malcolm Magic, before I cropped it all down and laid on the logo and stuff. Yikes! Ain't nothin' as exhilerating as a little Dragon sledging!!

More on Monday next week, friends!

Lorenzo!

Prankster

Post by Prankster » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:35 am

What happened to "Hot Rod Honey" or whatever it was called?

These really are spectacular. Very much in what I now think of as "The Flight Style" (sorry if that seems to be giving Kazu and co. too much credit, but I really think this does sort of represent a "movement" in art, small though it may be).

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:08 am

Hey Prankster! I think Hot Rod Honey's in the illustration thread somewhere! Or you can check it out on our site!

This is an interesting point about the style. What I guess a lot of you guys in the US see as the "Flight Style" (as you put it) to me is really a style of drawing comics which has been around in Europe for about 50 years or so. It's all centered around a more cartooney approach to characters and environments which is still based on a lot of anatomical and real world study. Go into any book store in Europe and you'll see hundreds of amazing quality bande desinée with some of the most incredible art you'll ever come across. In particular, check out Ring Circuis, Sky Doll, Navitee, Spoon and White, Asterix, Lucky Luke or Wonder City etc to get an idea of what I'm talking about, and prepare to be blown away! The progress of computer colouring/inking etc and the influence of anime has certainly moved this foward, but the key elements of draftsmanship, line and storytelling were put in place by guys like Uderzo around the early 50's.

You're totally right though, the Flight guys are certainly rocking the whole style in a new direction, and have managed to open alot of people's eyes to it in the US who have probably never even seen the European stuff, and that's a really good thing, as I grew up on these type of comics, and I love 'em all!

Thanks for your post, pal!

Lorenzo!
Last edited by Lorenzo on Wed May 24, 2006 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:18 pm

So, we've had a bit of Malcolm, time for more MOON! Here's another web flyer! Hooooo-boy! I'm gettin' excited!

More tomorrow!

Lorenzo!