Copper - "Metropolitan"

Post comics.
deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:55 pm

turned out awesome, kazu. the colors are especially well-chosen.

neil

Post by neil » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:16 pm

Sigh, I hate to be the one "fly in the ointment," as a friend puts it...

This one did feel "off" to me. Usually there's more of a give and take in Copper & Fred's perspectives; even if one of them is being irrational, we sympathize because of the emotion... Here it's kinda strange, like Fred is presented as having a dumb idea and just gets proved wrong. Not that I think it's a dumb idea, but I guess I mean that it feels one-sided, for once. And the food changes his mind? It seems too easy... It feels like the resolution to a different idea.

This is a big idea to tackle, though. It's an important one too, since Americans move so often now. It's an interesting challenge, and I've thought about it for a longer story myself. That's probably why I might have a higher standard for this one.

Er well, that said, it's COPPER and is thus still better than 99.9% of webcomics.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:14 pm

Neil > No need to feel like the fly in the ointment. In fact, I was hoping I wasn't the only one that thought I was off this month. I decided to just move through it and do better on the next one rather than spend more time thinking or redoing it. Thanks for the crit, Neil. I completely agree with you. :D

Thanks again for the comments, everyone. It's always nice to have some encouragement.

EQ

Post by EQ » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:00 am

tight artwork man. i gotta get back to doing some comics.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:21 am

nice work kazu. :)

dan

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:25 pm

neil wrote:This is a big idea to tackle, though. It's an important one too, since Americans move so often now. It's an interesting challenge, and I've thought about it for a longer story myself. That's probably why I might have a higher standard for this one.
Hmm. I seem to meet proportionally much fewer American transients, travellers, or immigrants in the countries I've been to than other nationalities. Though I suppose it makes a big difference where you go (Oxford has a surprising number of Americans). But important, yes, it is important. Because it will happen more.

I have learned the hard way that anywhere you could live always, always has things to love and things to hate. And not necessarily the things you might expect before you go there. In that sense there is no "better place" to live. But it does matter what sort of lifestyle you get used to- what kind of personality you have- and what you hope to get out of a place. So maybe some people are better suited to some places than others? Personally, I'm to the point where my main interest in which country to live in is what sort of work I will be able to find there. Because job opportunities and working conditions can be profoundly different in different countries. (Even more so than food!) :D I've also learned that going "home" isn't a piece of cake either. But enough about me.

Anyways, Kazu- one person's bad art day is another's sought-after masterpiece.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Iaster

Post by Iaster » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:27 pm

I do see what you mean about the writing. However, I wouldn't say the problem is that it's one sided, just that the conclusion doesn't quite work. The writing in other parts it quite good. I think where Copper says "Fred, if you aren't happy here, it's likely you won't be over there" is one of the more profound things Copper has ever said. The point that is built up to just doesn't seem to be the point that the last two panels make.

So, despite the weak ending, the strip conveys a lot in earlier panels. I really like the topic you chose, and visually, this is certainly one of my favourites.

jshamblin

Post by jshamblin » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:23 pm

I think what attracted me to Copper in the beginning was that it reminded me of Little Nemo. I'm a huge Winsor McCay fan and instantly fell in love with Copper. Since then Copper has found it's own voice. Now I feel like Copper and Fred's reality is a dream world.

So with that said, I like this comic except for one thing. I don't like how you refer to Costa Rico because it's a real place and takes me out of the imaginary world of Copper. Kinda kills the mood. Other than that, I enjoyed the art and message.

Lee M

Post by Lee M » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:19 pm

It's true that the tension between their attitudes doesn't come across as well as it might. On the other hand, the payoff is pretty good and I like the way it was foreshadowed in the very first panel.
Have you ever noticed how most of the trouble in the world is caused by people who claim to be trying to get rid of troublemakers?

Joseph Park

Post by Joseph Park » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:23 am

This is by far, my favorite Copper strip.

chris

Post by chris » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:00 pm

i'm with Neil here, if only because hearing Fred say costa rica kind of pulled me out of the Copper Universe, maybe just coming up with a Copper equivalent of costa rica and using that name?

alhambra does have the creeping appeal though...WTF?

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:46 pm

This page was just as great as many of the others, I think. I really love the movement in this one. I really felt like I was zooming through the streets with them. It's always interesting that you seem to use at least one large panel somewhere in each page's layout. Somehow the storytelling is always clear, though.

The story is very well done. I thought the ending was handled just right. As far as the Costa Rica thing, I think if it was some made-up place from the "Copper" universe, instead of Costa Rica, we would have stopped to wonder what that place was like. It would have distracted from the flow of the conversation.

Like other people here, I really enjoyed the colors. It's a palette that you don't really see to often. Kazu, on your walkthrough of your process on Copper, you mention that one of the steps that takes the longest is when you adjust the colors to get the right palette. Can you elaborate on your process of doing this? Are you incorporating any specific color theory or just working on the fly based on what looks good? I ask because there is so much I need to learn about color, and I think the colors in Copper are one of its strongest aspects.

Thanks for making a great strip!

-Seth Wolfshorndl
Image Image