Copper - "Slowrider"

Post comics.
Lee M

Post by Lee M » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:25 pm

Awww, poor old Fred. I've never seen him so stressed out before. Hope he's OK.

The trouble with syndication is that there aren't many newspapers that would want to wait a month (or - ahem - longer) between strips.
Have you ever noticed how most of the trouble in the world is caused by people who claim to be trying to get rid of troublemakers?

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:57 pm

Thanks guys! Glad the comic worked out okay. I was having trouble with the dialogue for a while, and I still think it needed some ironing out, but I felt I had to get it done and move on. As for syndication, yeah, I don't think newspapers would accept a monthly comic. I was contacted by two of the major syndicates, though, and they suggested a weekly. Even that schedule would be too much with all the other projects I have going on, so I'll just have to bide my time. Take things slow. :)

fang

Post by fang » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:56 am

fantastic man... have you ever tought about release a copper collection? a book or something...

Rad Sechrist

re

Post by Rad Sechrist » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:11 pm

Best Copper ever... :shock:

marco

Post by marco » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:23 pm

i love it!! especially the panel with Fred wiggin out!! :D
marco-magallanes.blogspot.com/

agent44

Post by agent44 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:24 pm

Another good one Kazu. Love the little snail guy.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:22 pm

As excellent and nice as ever :D
I love all three panels where Fred loses it. Heeheehee!
Ah, this story makes me feel like taking my time today (oops, election day here in Canada, better move on ...)

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:04 pm

well done! that fourth panel is my favorite.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:59 am

Thanks everyone! :D

And I just posted a Copper step-by-step demo on my site:

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:49 am

Wow, that step-by-step was great! Very thorough and informative.

I love reading these sorts of things. They always get me in a drawing mood!

Thanks, Kazu. :)

Oh, and you think that pen-holding technique is weird, this guy back in highschool used to hold it between his ring and pinky fingers! Funnily enough, he was an excellent drawer.
--Joe.

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:02 am

thanks kazu, that was real informative. it's interesting to see the way other people go about things. i think for most artists out there, there's always a lot of similarities in the way that we approach things, but finding out what the differences are can help us grow as better artists. it's like with your crow quill pen- you heard liefeld used one so you used it and now here you are crafting beautiful linework with it years later (and, in my opinion, much better then liefeld ever did). it also makes you realize , that it's not the tools you use but the artist who wields them that trully makes the art

anymoo, this really makes me want to color sumthin' it's been a while since i've done that and this step-by-step kinda got me excited to do that.

B Moore

Post by B Moore » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:52 pm

Nice comic and great how-to, Kazu. A lot of interesting bits in the Photoshop coloring section. (It's also strangely comforting to know I'm not the only one struggling with 19" x 24" pages on a dinky scanner.)
Brian
ImageImage

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Post by Ian Jay » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:19 pm

Ohhhh. That how-to was great! It isn't too far gone from how I'm doing things now! (Except, you know, with way better equipment. And probably a heapin' helping of patience, which is something I lack noticeably.)

I didn't know you could do giant pieces of paper like that on a scanner, either. On the one hand, I like the idea of having a gigantic canvas to do as much crazy tiny little detail as I like. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of having to perfectly patch together all those scans.

Still... this was some of the most useful advice I've gotten on comics in a long time. Thumbs up!

~IJ

PS: Where do you get those blue Col-Erase pencils? I've looked at my local Michael's, but they don't seem to have them. Right now I'm just using regulation school-issue No. 2s, which crap up the page with grey smudgemarks when you erase too much or you rub your hand across a particularly dark spot.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:04 pm

I love the hallucination of the cube guy. lol. A geometrical manifestation.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:16 am

Nice demo for an even nicer comic. You know, depending on the nib, using it upside down, isn't necessarily a wrong way to use it. On the Nausicaa DVD, they showed Miyazaki doing some thin line hatching on his Nausicaa manga by flipping his quill pen upside down. I thought it was a pretty neat trick.

Puttng your inkwell on your drawing's kind of a risky place... You should put it in a bowl or something in case you knock it over. It happened to me once. But then again, I made a better drawing by doing it again. :P