Intro to Missionary graphic novel

Post comics.
Mike Laughead

Intro to Missionary graphic novel

Post by Mike Laughead » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:11 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

This is supposed to be intro to a graphic novel about my experience as a Mormon missionary. Theese are the first pages I have done, so I am still looking at things stylistically.

If there is anything that you suggest I do different, please tell me, because I want to make this book as visually appealing as possible for the story and my style.

Thanks
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:12 pm

Wonderful line work...I like your character's facial expressions especially. I'm def interested in more to come

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:46 pm

Interesting start. I'd continue reading it.

DEADDUCK

GREAT START

Post by DEADDUCK » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:11 pm

I really like what you have done so far. I would pick this book up for sure. I do week long mission trips with my youth group in the inner city and I know what kind of an exsperience that can be. I cant imagine what it would be like to go over see to another country.

are you self publishing this or do you have something else set up?
Oh Good Grief!!!

Mike Laughead

Re: GREAT START

Post by Mike Laughead » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:35 pm

DEADDUCK wrote:I really like what you have done so far. I would pick this book up for sure. I do week long mission trips with my youth group in the inner city and I know what kind of an exsperience that can be. I cant imagine what it would be like to go over see to another country.
I'm not sure how similar my mission was to the kind of mission trips you go on with the youth group. I'm pretty sure that most of you have seen Mormons knocking on doors or walking around and talking to people. Well, that's what I did for 2 years. We spent our time teaching people about our faith (I say we because we were always with a missionary companion.) The companion I am showing was from Argentina, and we were speaking Spanish. (I learned it there, with a little bit of prep.)
are you self publishing this or do you have something else set up?
These are the sample pages for a proposal. I am working with a children's book publisher and some other places have shown interest also. (I think I'd be too afraid to self-publish) :oops:
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:53 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I think I like doing them without the grey better. What do you think?
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

AntSky0

Post by AntSky0 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:20 pm

I like the first one better. I like the grey....With the black and white it tends to merge with the drawing where it shouldn't, but that's just one guys opinion.
AntSky *_*

wendy w

Post by wendy w » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:30 pm

I prefer the ones without the grey, but either way it's looking good.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny says you need to read

peng8noodles

Post by peng8noodles » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:19 pm

i also think the pages with the grey look better. and might i add that that's a mighty fine style you got there? :D

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:14 pm

Thanks for the critique. After not looking at them for a while, and then reviewing them just now, I think I will do the gray. I just have to make sure that it looks decent when it's printed. :D
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

Yoder

Post by Yoder » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:40 am

I like the gray tones. I think it is reading really great so far, the only thing that I find a little odd is the panel right before the characters go to bed where they're both standing facing each other not saying anything. If this is meant to just show how extremely awkward the situation is then that makes sense.

Looks really great.

marioboon

Post by marioboon » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:37 am

I'd love to read this book if not just out of curiousity to what drives people like you (not deragatory) to do this stuff.
I've know from mormons in my hometown who lived upstairs to a very popular bar. The temptations must have been very hard :)
But they were good basketballers

oh, the art: right: I'd go with a duotone instead of just gray
wanna learn Dutch AND read good comics? come to
[url=http://www.pulpdeluxe.be[/url]

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:37 am

Yoder wrote: ...the only thing that I find a little odd is the panel right before the characters go to bed where they're both standing facing each other not saying anything. If this is meant to just show how extremely awkward the situation is then that makes sense.
I guess I thought most people would get that the two characters are praying. Maybe I should put a word balloon with some mumbled looking words in there. Did anyone else not catch what was going on there?
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:13 pm

Black and white vs. Gray tones....

For a lot of people, gray helps improve a comic if the line work isn't so great...or it just makes it look better. The thing is, I really really like your line work (drybrush perhaps?) and I think if this ever went to print...you should print it in black and white. For some reason, the black and white sort of reminds me of 'Blankets'...and it works.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:17 pm

A couple of thoughts...

I personally like the black and white art. You've come up with some pretty interesting textures in your brushwork, and to me it's more interesting than the greyscale equivalent (particular standout, the establishing shot of the church building)(also, i'm not trying to bash your greyscaling. it's quite nice). But whatever you decide to do will look good I'm sure.

The storytelling in this sequence is pretty effective I think. You do a nice job of capturing various details around the inside of the church. There are only two things I'd consider revising or looking at. The first is when you're looking at the church sign when you're first entering the church. No problem with the sequence, though I don't think you need to translate the sign. I understood what it said, so the translation seemed superfluous. That's a personal opinion though. You might want to see what other people think.

The second thing was the praying panel. It didn't immediately read like praying to me. It seems like they randomly nodded off for a second when I first read it. Adding some text might help better establish what's going on (either mumbled text like you thought. Just having them say "Amen." would probably work even better to get the point across. Plus it's economical :D )

Anyway, that's all I can think to say for now. Good luck with this project!
i heard rumors, he was into
http://jae.imperialotter.com/