Northern Overexposure - updated 28/3/06

Post comics.
JP

Northern Overexposure - updated 28/3/06

Post by JP » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:38 am

So... I'm a little intimidated about posting here, but here goes nothing. If you have the time, please comment on my Northern Overexposure -strips here. Anything you like, but in case you have suggestions about the coloring and stuff, that would be more than welcome. It's taking me ages to color them, so any pointers etc would be nice. Here's only a few of my most recent ones. I'm a little hesitant about putting more up yet, since these strips are due to be published this summer... heh.

As a short introduction: Northern Overexposure is a weekly sunday comic strip that is published in Aamulehti, Finland. There are already about 130 of these b**tards. Although they're in Finnish, I've translated them for you underneath.

6. "A light?"

5. "Well, I was beginning to wonder..."

1. Wait a minute, what time is it? Gotta run to work! 2. "Hold on, where am I? Oh yeah, I guess I hit it off last night. hehhee." 3. Geez... last night... can't really remember that much. 4. Well hello, nice smile. 5. But, but... They're all smiling and staring, what, is there something in my - 6. - face? (Limp dick)

1. "Otto, Topi and Teemu always hang around here, don't they." / "Yeah, they're practically part of the furniture." 3. "Ok, fellas. Time to wrap thing up." / "Ok."

So that's that then. Let the whuppin' begin!
Last edited by JP on Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:50 am

Haha, these are great :D I especially like the second one: all those little details once the light is open (like the beer bottle name changing...probably to some cheap booze).
I like your timing and the gags. No coloring pointers from me, since I'm slow as a snail when it comes to that.
Looking great, hope to see more (maybe once they're printed ;) )

bradcolbow

Post by bradcolbow » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:11 am

How have you been coloring these? are you doing it digitally or the old fashion way?

JP

Post by JP » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:06 pm

Goober: I'm coloring them digitally, since it gives me more freedom to make changes afterwards.

Nofret: Thanks! Yeah, the beer changes from Fosters to a local crappy beer... :)

nomi

Post by nomi » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:20 pm

Nice humor you have here! :)
And the coloring is..ok, it looks warm and fuzzy - kind to me.
amor ut lacrima ocilus oritur in pectus cadit

bluebottle

Post by bluebottle » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:21 am

i like these. good humour in them.
also like the little details like Nofret pointed out
JP wrote:Nofret: Thanks! Yeah, the beer changes from Fosters to a local crappy beer... :)
you know i have never (not once) drank fosters here in Australia, neither have most of my friends. but go outside Australia and thats what image everyone has. i doubt if it would even be in the top 20 selling beers for Australians in Australia
:wink:
'something really witty/funny or profound here!'

Hyptosis

Post by Hyptosis » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:07 am

These are grogeous, and there is no need for me to go on about how well they're drawn either. Pretty obvious stuff. I really liked the light one, everyone changed, not just a few 'stage' characters, even the people in the background. Good work all in all. Thanks, I'm an instant fan.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:57 pm

Welcome here, JP! These are great. :D

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:32 pm

Awesome work!!!

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:15 pm

HA these are fantastic!! Very cool.

And yeah...just to reiterate what Bluebottle said...Fosters...Fosters is oddly an Australian icon internationally, yet nobody EVER drinks it here. Mostly because it's pretty woeful (in my opinion). But yeah...strange.

Great strips!

Justin

Post by Justin » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:34 pm

heheh, that's great! funny, and i really enjoy your artwork :)
-Justin

nil

Post by nil » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:59 am

I like these! I don't know if it's because I'm having to look at the translation, but it took me a minute to absorb all the details.

I think in Canada we have Fosters sussed. :wink: Maybe because we already have plenty of mediocre mass-produced lager-like substances of our own? (Note for context: mediocrity will not entirely prevent me from drinking it...) But somehow when something's imported (or its name is) it gains a mystique...which, I presume, is why Carlsberg, Stella, and Budweiser (the American version) sell in the UK when there are billions of lovely local brews to choose from.

Mmm, beer.
a Chris

JP

Post by JP » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:55 am

Thanks for all the feedback, you guys! Gives me energy to continue. :) Yeah, I've heard that about Fosters. The same thing actually happened to a Finnish beer called Lapin Kulta (Lapland's Gold) aswell, which was sold in the UK for awhile as I recall, with the name Kulta, I think.

The funny part is that although it's cheap here, the general opinion is that it tastes close to reindeer piss. ;) I don't get it why it's always the bad products that get exported abroad... I'm a fan of Czech beers, though.

Hmm. But I guess this is a topic for another thread entirely. :)

JP

Post by JP » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:29 pm

Hi kids! Sorry for not having the time to hang around here for a looong time. I've been busy with the next set of Northern Overexposure strips and I got all 13 of them ready last week. Besides that I've been working on the school book illos and a few other freelance projects. Bah!

So I haven't been slacking! ;) The new Druids short story is on it's way in a couple of weeks time.

Meanwhile I'll just post a few of the strips I just finished.

There ya had it. :) Take care everyone!
Last edited by JP on Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joseph Park

Post by Joseph Park » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:37 am

These rock, I totally love your style.