Trail of the Dragon - WIP **NEW pages 6/3

Post comics.
agremar

Trail of the Dragon - WIP **NEW pages 6/3

Post by agremar » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:59 pm

I've finally managed to get a few pages done on my webcomic, Trail of the Dragon. Please let me know what you think :) (edited and put all in this post...)

Last edited by agremar on Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:33 am, edited 9 times in total.

VC

Post by VC » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:30 pm

The last page is preeeety. Yes it is *pets it lovingly*

I will link to this once you have it housed somewheres.
oh yeah, plug: http://hereishere.com

Justin

Post by Justin » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:59 am

wow, that's some sweet detail in that final panel. maybe you should mess around with some different lighting on the candle stick when it goes out? looking good tho :)
-Justin

Hupselipup

Post by Hupselipup » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:54 am

I like the designs. The stylized candle and that drawing on the last page are great. I would prolly play around with the text a bit to see if I can achieve more of a unity on the page.
Martin

Ryansias

Post by Ryansias » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:01 am

cooooooolll, love that last panel

r

agremar

Post by agremar » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:28 pm

Thanks everyone! I'm aiming for a simple webcomic, it's actually a project for myself to just get myself familiar with the process of going from paper to pixels, so I decided on 3 colors (b/w + red) and a simple layout to start with. Once the story gets going an there's some action scenes I plan to loosen up the panel layouts. I hope to have 3 more pages up before tomorrow, and hopefully a functional site too :)

Hup: Yeah, I'm going to see if I can change the text to balance out. I ended up changing what I had planned to say there so it doesn't fit too well. Do you think if it just spanned the top that the right side would feel too empty?

Justin: yeah, there should be a difference in lighting, I'll play with it a bit and see what happens.

Ryan + VC: thanks!

VC

Post by VC » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:22 pm

The smoke in the second frame of the second page bothers me. Everything else has very hard edges, so the softness is a distraction.

Sorry that I didn't put that in my original post, I didn't notice until I looked at this thread again. :(
oh yeah, plug: http://hereishere.com

agremar

Post by agremar » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:40 am

VC: yeah, I'm going to do a revision and see how it turns out.

I've been trying to get my homepage and comic page up so I got delayed on the updates...I'm still meaning to adjust the text on the 3rd image.

Thanks for viewing, let me know if you notice anything that I can change :)

agremar

Post by agremar » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:35 pm

Hello everyone. I've finished the website, so please take a look and let me know if there's anything that could be improved. Thanks for looking!

http://www.impudentpixel.com/TOD/tod.html

PS, I'm working on a cooler title image, but take what's extant as the rough cover for the prologue :)

agremar

Post by agremar » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:59 pm

Two more pages. Let me know what you think :) Also, I just realized that the site is best viewed at 1600x1200. Is this a big mistake, do most people view at a lesser display resolution?

EDIT: moved to first post
Last edited by agremar on Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrisruggia

Post by chrisruggia » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:01 am

Pattern and texture are the strongest elements here. Definitely push that stylization as you continue.

The mountains in the background as he's walking have a kind of stamped, repetitive feel. Like a symbol for "mountains" rather than a stylized image of actual mountains. But when he gets to the trail in the cliffs, the bg looks great. Perhaps you can get that specificity of shape even in the far-away elements in future pages.

And the mosaic of warrior figures he walks in front of is FABULOUS. Good work!

Simon

Post by Simon » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:52 pm

A Lone Wolf & Cub fan? Kazuo Koike/Goseki Kojima often set up tales with small, iconic images surrounded by blackness, and occasional text. You did it really well with the candle scene, I think that's an exciting way to open your story.

Then, some very precise, nice detailed work. I really like the gradual closing-in in your latest panel, and love that kinda stained-glass style of the animal-warrior pictures in the one before.

I agree with the last poster about the first few instances of mountains though. They feel slightly out of place. I don't think it calls for more detail necessarily, but I can't put my finger on how I'd do it differently.

I think your choice of red as well as black is smart, you are using it well so far. Looking forward to more.

kev-nuu

Post by kev-nuu » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:13 am

How you draw the cliffs and mountains is amazing. It's kind of off balanced to see such detail in the old lady while the main character is rather simple. It's not bad but unique. Perhaps too much red in that mountain scene but I can't really complain. I am intrigued to read more, and that's what really matters, right?
[ kev-nuu.com ] ~ "Not the kidneys, I pretend they hold my liquor!"

agremar

Post by agremar » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:45 pm

Wow, thanks for the feedback everyone!

Chrisruggia: Yeah, looking backwards now it is kind of spartan, I'm working on making the upcoming far away BG's more detailed as I go. At first I was shooting for large, simple images, but as I'm going I find myself doing more panels and the ideas I have for BG fit better. When the prologue wraps up shortly, I'm going to do my best to go all out on the "travel" pieces and make them more like wood-block prints. And the mosiac is my favorite image too :)

Simon: Thanks for all your kind words! Actually, I haven't read any of Lone Wolf & Cub, shame on me :( When I started I had film in mind more, Kurosawa and Leone - panoramas, iconic images, and minimal dialogue.

kev-nuu: Thanks for the comments, and I am working to address the imbalances. As the main character progresses towards his objective (which will be hinted at in the next few pages) - I think he'll take more on more detail both visually and personality wise. I could always say he's mostly in black because it's cool and ominous, and I like drawing capes with tattered edges, but I probably should say it's because he's less than human in terms of personality (to himself and others).
Last edited by agremar on Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

agremar

Post by agremar » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:54 pm

EDIT: moved to first post
Last edited by agremar on Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.