Top Ten portfolio samples

Post comics.
Rokko

Post by Rokko » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:27 am

Nice work. One technical flaw stood out to me: the people leaning out of Fonzi's on page 4 seem too big, flattening the perspective and reducing the depth of you image (witch is about the same thing, duh).

And a more general question: If you push penciling this far, what is the use of having someone inking the work all over again, can't you just scan it at a high resolution and maximize the contrast, ending up with crisp black and white art... I have to mention I know very little if anything about the way traditional superhero-comics are produced, I am amazed at how much detail goes into a penciled page, to me, it looks pretty final.

Jason C-M

Post by Jason C-M » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:15 am

Yeah, the perspective on that top panel on page four is way freaky -- I faked stuff to try to fit things where I wanted them, and it really didn't work. I've got a new version of page four on my drafting table, almost halfway finished. Unfortunately, I've got zero time to work until a week from friday. No big changes on page four, just getting rid of the screwy perspective, and putting a couple more motorcycles on the street.

Why pencil this tight? Let's just say I've had BAAAAAAD luck with inkers. When I'm inking my own stuff (which is most of the time) I don't ink anywhere near this tight/complete.
Fun for Brains and Eyeballs!
with Drawing a Blank: News from the Drafting Table
http://www.cheeseman-meyer.com

jose

Post by jose » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:57 am

yeah, these are pretty fantastic. The buildings are great.

househatke

Post by househatke » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:43 pm

Impressive work Jason! Please let us know what kind of feedback you get from these (maybe you have already, I haven't read this whole thread). Your details are very nice.

I have one suggestion, since you asked, and it's not really a crit because what you have works great: I thought the fat Silver Surfer and Ghost Rider were great, and the expressions and body language were lots of fun. Surfer looks like he's just regular Surfer with a basketball gut. It might be interesting to put a little paunch around his face and at the same time it would show the drawing of a variety of face-types as well as body-types.

Just a thought.