Junk Food Fighter

Post comics.
Kieran

Junk Food Fighter

Post by Kieran » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:13 pm

Fisherman and delivery truck driver, Dare Phoenix, a former stuntman, fights mutated and monstrous incarnations of America's favorite snack, junk, and comfort foods in order to protect kids and single women throughout the city of Old Cullen.

http://junkfoodfighter.smackjeeves.com/

http://www.junkfoodfighter.com/

Just thought I'd yelp a bit and share my comic with everyone. It's just starting, but I hope to do some real fun things with this concept. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to check it out.

Thanks!

- Kieran

Kieran

Re: Junk Food Fighter

Post by Kieran » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:21 pm

More pages...

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:22 pm

And more...

waru

Post by waru » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:03 pm

Hey, I love the idea of fighting the embodiments of junk food. The drawings of the monsters are awesome, especially the hot dog monster. Bobba Gobba and his sinister hillbilly waitress are great, too. Do you do it all with traditional pen nibs and inks?

My only complaint so far (and this may be just me) is that I wish the text was bigger so I didn't have to strain to see it. Also, his muscular body looks a little bit disturbingly veiny.

This actually reminds me of a online comic I did, called EAT, where characters battle "flavor monsters" with magic attacks powered by delicious food (beavertoad.com/EAT).

Good luck with it!

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:40 pm

waru - Thanks. I always thought the idea of monstrous foods to be unique. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs was a huge inspiration when I was growing up, so I feel that played a part in the creation of the project. Glad you liked the monsters so far. There are many more, and better ones, still to come.

No. All these pages were done with technical and brush pens. I always used pen nibs in the past, but grew very tired and frustrated with them. Either they never held the ink well or wore out too fast. For me, it was a hindrance, slowing my output and making me not even want to bother.

I am pretty new to the lettering aspect. I was actually cautious about not using too big a font... I'll have to play around with it a bit. Though, when I print out the pages, they read just fine.

Yeah, the over-the-top muscular thing is an old habit of mine. Not that it's a good one, mind you. It is how I've always drawn. I wanted to emulate Quesada, Keown, and Sear a lot when I first started out. Since this is a project with a lot of tongue-in-cheek dark humor and is so over the top, it kinda fits. I have been trying to make a conscious effort to reign things in a bit. Good observation.

I'll have to check out your comic. Thank you again for the nice words and observations. I greatly appreciate them.

- Kieran

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:43 pm

2 more...