New guy, new work, looking for a critique

Post comics.
Silent Machine

Re: New guy, new work, looking for a critique

Post by Silent Machine » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:02 pm

Well, I think I miffed both major pieces of advice I received this go around, namely increase line weight variation and make the frames themselves more interesting. My only excuse is that this particular page wasn't especially conducive to either. However, I did make a stride forward in in texturing. I used Kazu's Copper book as an example while I was coloring.

Page 13

matthewart

Post by matthewart » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:15 pm

this is really fun... nice end(?) robot walking off into the sunset of this brave new world. If I had to pick something to critique I might question your color pallet. color is very personal and varys from person to person but maybe think about using some less saturated color to make the saturated colors all the more vibrant. Maybe check the DC coloring guide... I really liked how they describe color theories for comics. But most importantly keep on creating man! this stuff is goooood!!!
[email protected]

"We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams" ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Silent Machine

Post by Silent Machine » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:30 pm

Thanks for the advice and the encouragement, Matt. I think I understand what you mean about saturation. In coloring this page I was trying to overcome my instinct to avoid deep shadows. Now I think I need to work on my tendency to avoid low saturation in the same way.

This is certainly not the end of the story. We're just about half way through the first of three chapters I have in mind so far. I am working on a website to house the comic and some other things I've been working on. When I do finally launch my site this forum will be one of the first places I'll anounce it.

matthewart

Post by matthewart » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:42 pm

oh cool!!! I'm actually really happy you have more planned. I can't wait for further adventures!!! Go forth and conquer!
[email protected]

"We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams" ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Silent Machine

Post by Silent Machine » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:54 am

Sorry if anyone was eagerly waiting for a new page, it's going to be a while before I have time to put one together. I'm making my transition from soulless corporate cube rat to moneyless wannabe artist; which requires a surprising amount of work.

That said, I've launched a website. If, inexplicably, you can't get enough of my work, or better yet if you're the altruistic type and want to offer advice on the digital art, the web design, the spelling, or any other aspect, head over to http://www.grandwanderer.com

Silent Machine

Post by Silent Machine » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:23 pm

well, here it is, after seven and a half months, a new page. My hope is to start them up regularly again. I've built up quite a bit of content on my site, so feel free to visit and comment if you feel so inclined.

Page 14

Silent Machine

Post by Silent Machine » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:00 am

here's another one. Trying for another action sequence. I fell like I'm struggling a bit with getting the proper punch out of my action words/sound effects. Any thoughts?

Page 15

Silent Machine

Post by Silent Machine » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:45 pm

I think this page represents another slight leap in skill. I'm trying to figure out how best to increase the scenery detail without taking a week to produce a page. I've tried to achieve that to a certain extent here by increasing my use of digital tools.

Page 16

Silent Machine

Post by Silent Machine » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:36 pm

Last three pages for a while. I'll be on hiatus for a few weeks. Hopefully when I pick back up in January I'll be able to maintain the regularity.

Page 17

Page 18

Page 19