Post comics.
briantaylor

Re: MYTH - Sci-Fi/Fantasy Graphic Novel

Post by briantaylor » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:01 pm

And a couple more...

RobPeters

Post by RobPeters » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:42 am

I love these last two pages! There's a great rhythm and pacing to the running sequence.

briantaylor

Post by briantaylor » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:45 pm

Thanks for the comments Rob; glad you like it! Here's another page of the story...

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:26 am

Loving it Brian!

briantaylor

Post by briantaylor » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:56 pm

New page...

Derrick Fish

Post by Derrick Fish » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:30 pm

You're really building UNBELIEVABLE tension and you haven't yet shown us a THING and yet the dread is all over the place! I'm loving it.

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:06 pm

Okay, I'm not a comics expert by any stretch and I'm certain this is a mistake I make myself very frequently, so take this for what it's worth. That said, I'm going to venture a little constructive critique here.

My most modest of critiques is that the gestures in the second panel of the most recent page are a little confusing, visually. In the first panel you have the characters suggested to be in an open run, with a strong and clear axis of motion - this is the strongest panel on the page and is really engaging. On the second panel, though, the lines of force make it seem as though the characters are being thrown back violently, but their front feet are so firmly planted on the floor that it just seems a little odd to me, and the progression of motions makes it seem as though they're jerking around a little erratically. The perspective on the hooded character in FG in the third-to-last panel also a little off - again, the feet so firmy on the floor belies the rapid motion they're making.

Unless I'm mistaken (as an animator you'd know this better than I, but I just pulled out my Edweard Muybridge photos to confirm this, actually), an open run like this is actually kind of a process of throwing the body forward with the legs. In a running stride, the foot almost never makes full contact with the ground - the brief point when it does so is when the striding leg is underneath the center of gravity, when the knee is locked and the leg is at full extension. Were the character's body in this stage of motion he'd actually be airborne, as he'd be in the process of bringing his forward leg to extension to catch the ground and pulling his trailing leg up and around to start the next stride.

Aside from that rather technical quibble, the artwork, in particular the soft coloring and the facial expression, remain as strong and clean as ever!

--M
Image Image

Derrick Fish

Post by Derrick Fish » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:30 pm

Without getting NEARLY as technical, the scene as read has the hooded character leading the other through the house looking for a way out, but he keeps stopping in his tracks as he senses his escape routs being cut off. As such, the planted feet in the run, to ME, indicate the sudden shift of weight caused by the runner stopping himself short.

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:37 pm

Hmm... from that point of view it seems more reasonable. The next-to-last panel has that feeling very much. But that was not my first impression of the others I mentioned.

--M
Image Image

briantaylor

Post by briantaylor » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:01 am

Hmmm...good point. I realized after the fact that the perspective was a little off in the fourth panel, I'm planning on fixing that once I get the chance.

Hadn't noticed the foot contacts though. The second panel is supposed to be the two coming to a stop abruptly. But I'll look into fixing that fourth panel. Thanks for the critique :)

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:13 pm

The second panel is supposed to be the two coming to a stop abruptly.
Yeah once Derrick pointed it out to me I saw it. Something that would accentuate it (far more simply than revamping the characters) would be for the cloak to be pressed against the grandfather's back, flowing forward, as though the stop were mid-motion, and the loose fabric were still moving in the previous direction after the stop.

Again, though, this is small and technical, so take it for what it's worth.

--M
Image Image

Evitaerc

Post by Evitaerc » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:05 am

I love the movement of these pages - I can hear the old guy sniffing the air and hear the sound on the floor as he stops sudden to change direction.

Looking forward to the next pages. I'm hooked.
Find me at joshalves.com | DeviantArt - joshalves.deviantart.com

Wirya

Post by Wirya » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:54 am

Looks nice. The movement looks good. Although the overall scene may look a bit stiff or something. Sometimes it feels as if you're trying too hard to make things move.

But nice nonetheless. Quite polished.
No artwork is ugly.
If it's ugly then it's not an artwork.

My melodic comics thread :
http://www.flightcomics.com/forum/viewt ... 45&start=0

Joost

Post by Joost » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:37 pm

Love those last couple of pages! Did you send this of to any publisher yet? I'm very interested to hear how that goes.

Love to see more pages too!

briantaylor

Post by briantaylor » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:45 pm

Nope, haven't sent it off to any publishers or agents yet; though I am pretty darn close. I've got probably three pages left to draw/ink/color/letter, a query letter, a one page synopsis, and some concept art to do. So yeah, getting closer.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether this single scene shows enough story for the potential publisher/agent to get hooked. Or, if I'll need to do another scene that shows more of the world that the story will take place in. Hard to say though, as I've never done this before.

Anyhow, here's my most recently finished page. Three left to go...