24 Hour Comics Day

Post comics.
Prankster

24 Hour Comics Day

Post by Prankster » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:50 pm

It's a little bit after the fact, but did anyone participate in 24 Hour Comics Day this year? If so, did you actually finish your comic?

I did! Here's the silly, silly result:

Check out my comics and stuff at Phantasmic Tales.

Mr. Average

Re: 24 Hour Comics Day

Post by Mr. Average » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:02 pm

You know, I've always wanted to do this. I never finished one. I did one that I wrote into a corner and gave up on around hour 14. I still have it in my kitchen wrapped in tracing paper - don't ask why! One day I may post it. Or try again, even!

This is a pretty serious effort (silly as it may be) - a surprising amout of "stuff" on each page, considering the time constraints! And it clearly shows that the biggest part of the experience is the spontaneity of it. Good work!

--M
Image Image

Prankster

Post by Prankster » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:04 am

Thanks! If you really sit down determined to do it--and being surrounded by comics-making friends can help a lot as well--you can be finished early enough to get a decent night's sleep. Starting earlier than noon helps--we actually began at 10 am.

That said, I have to confess, I didn't actually get all this inked within the 24 hour period--the last batch was done a few days later. I did get all the pencilling finished within the time frame, though.

Also, the advantage of doing a Jack Kirby pastiche: you can do lots of splash pages. I knew that going in.

The middle third:

Prankster

Post by Prankster » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:01 pm

And the final batch. I actually think I got a little better as I went on. I like the expressiveness of Page 17 and 18.

Derrick Fish

Post by Derrick Fish » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:35 pm

I've done 24 hour comic day a few times, and completed the task twice now. (I just go to draw now, usually without the goal of doing 24 pages but rather to get less behind on deadlines. lol)

That all said, this was AWESOME! I'd love to see this cleaned up and printed as a real comic. If anyone has contacts with ARCHIE, pitch this!

Prankster

Post by Prankster » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:56 am

Heh heh, thanks Derrick, but there's no chance in hell Archie would go for a mangling of their characters of this kind. If anything, I'd be worried about getting sued. (Seriously though, Archie has, traditionally, been a lousy place to work, either in terms of job benefits or creative freedom. Look up what happened to Dan De Carlo sometime...you think Kirby got a raw deal...)

That said, believe it or not, I do have some crazy ideas about launching an Archie-style book with SF elements...it involves an old, forgotten character which I would kind of like to get the rights to, though I don't really know how to go about doing so...and who knows if I'll ever get around to it anyway. This little project certainly reawoke my love for Dan DeCarlo's work, though!