Curriculum Comics #4

Post comics.
andrewwales

Curriculum Comics #4

Post by andrewwales » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:24 pm

Here is the latest issue of Curriculum Comics. I do these every time I take a college course. When they assign a final project, I ask permission to create a comic instead of a traditional paper to demonstrate what I have learned in the course. In this case, I received a grade of 100, and I emailed a copy to Dr. Thomas Armstrong, who wrote one of the texts I quoted a lot. He loved it and urged me to seek publication for it.

andrew fulton

Re: Curriculum Comics #4

Post by andrew fulton » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:30 pm

This seems like a pretty good distillation of the topic. I only say "seems" as I am not a subject-matter-expert - you could be talking absolute nonsense here, and I wouldn't know otherwise*
You have a very friendly, conversational tone in distilling what you have learned. Do you have an idea of who the audience for this kind of thing would be? Is it people that are studying the same course as you? or do you see it being for a more general audience? I can see it as being a great thing to give to parents, for example.

"Nature Intelligence" seems like a bit of an odd one out amongst the other eight, in that it seems more of a specific domain than a general 'sort' of intelligence like the others do. Have I missed something there?

Anyhow, I enjoyed this a bunch, and even feel slightly smarter in some kind of way.

* One small nitpicking point - shouldn't the kids that are having trouble (in the boo yah panel) be sliding down the other side of the bell curve? :)

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:41 pm

This reminds me of the "For Beginners" series of quasi-comic book - I'm not sure if they're still in print or not. "Darwin for Beginners" and "Philosophy for Beginners" were particularly similar to the way you present the subject here.

--M
Image Image

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:57 am

Thanks for the comments guys. I enjoy hearing reactions of all kinds. It is by no means perfect. My main idea with this one, is it is addressed to teachers. However, after doing it, I think it would be really great to modify it for kids.

As for naturalistic intelligence -- Dr. Howard Gardner has certain criteria for what makes an intelligence. More in depth than I can go into here, but Natural is one he added. Someone suggested that none of the intelligences he had previously described Darwin. He actually now says there are eight and a half. He has considered an existential or spiritual intelligence, but doesn't feel it meets all of the criteria.

It is a fascinating subject, and I highly recommend any of his books for parents, or just people interested in how the mind works. His book Creating Minds is an interesting study on the development of some great historical persons.

Arrow

Post by Arrow » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:18 am

Seems viable that spiritual intelligence would be added as a half a slice.
As for your work here, it's great, how you draw the characters (still laughing at the tom cruise/oprah panel haha) and generally the info in it is humorous and thought provoking.
Congrats!

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:47 am

Thanks a lot Arrow, the Oprah panel was fun one to draw.
:D