Fablewood Webcomic

Post comics.
William Ward

Fablewood Webcomic

Post by William Ward » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:55 pm

FABLEWOOD, which was released last year in print through Ape Entertainment, is moving online and can now be found through the main website or directly at: http://fablewoodcomic.com/read/

For those not familiar with FABLEWOOD, it is a graphic fantasy anthology that features the creations of creations of Ryan Ottley and Manny Trembley, Flight alumni JP Ahonen and Sarah Mensinga, Chris Studabaker just to name a few. It also features a number of other frequent board posters who will likely chime in as well (more can be found at the website).

Anyway, everyone was really supportive when we were pushing to get the print version out. Just wanted to share it with everyone and get your input.

FABLEWOOD will be updating its comic book pages Tuesdays and Thursdays and will also be posting updates on its contributors other projects, commentary, and reviews of fantasy books and graphic novels between comic book pages. Flight alumni J.P. Ahonen's story Solace is being posted and you can read the first few pages currently. We will be coming up upon the full colored and lettered versions of the pages J.P. posted previously pretty soon. Here are ther pencilled pages for those who have not seen them:

I'll stop by with updates as they go up...

Seth Wolfshorndl

Re: Fablewood Webcomic

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:05 am

I'm glad I'll be able to read this all online now. Some great talent in this book!

Are you still working on the site, though? It looks pretty "bare bones" right now.
Image Image

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:15 am

Thanks! I'm glad you have enjoyed what you have seen of the book.

The main website for Fablewood is at: http://fablewoodcomic.com/ and might have more of what you are looking for in terms on website content. The page linked above goes straight to the web comic which is pretty much just the comic pages and an occasional blog post. Our hope is that is is clean and makes the comic easy to read. If you have some specific thoughts on the website feel free to PM me here or e-mail me (my e-mail is on the site).

Here are a few more pages:

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:57 am

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:00 am

I hate to be critical but "side" and "skies" don't rhyme. Maybe "I will never leave your eyes." would work better?

Anyway, it's definitely a pleasure to read Fablewood and JP's story.

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:35 pm

Rhyme is sometimes just another name used for poetry, but I can't speak to J.P.'s intent, perhaps it would have worked better and perhaps not. I like the wording better with the current version, as side is more clear than eyes. While not a perfect rhyme, I saw it as "alliteration (or head rhyme): matching initial consonants. (short,ship)" which is often categorized as rhyme in books on poetry, and argueably "oblique (or slant/forced): a rhyme with an imperfect match in sound. (green, fiend; one, thumb)" rhymes.

Glad you are enjoying it, last page of J.P.'s story goes up Thursday!

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:06 pm

Actually, Rhyme is something unique to modern Western civilization, specifically the Slavic and Celto-Germanic ones. Most other traditions held meter, alliteration and structure to be more important in poetry. The Greeks, for example, used dactylic hexameter (DA-da-da-DA-da-da-DA), a rhythm which clashes with English, which is natively an iambic language (da-DA-da-DA-da-DA), and to my knowledge they never rhymed their poems. Modern translations of, say, the Iliad and the Odyssey into rhyming verse are in this sense false. Here, I have to say I prefer the non-rhyming verse, since it seems more like it came from another language and adds to the feeling that you're "looking in" on an alien culture. Mentioning that it's a "rhyme" makes you wonder about what their language really would sound like - one presumes they're not ACTUALLY speaking English. That is, were the scene "real" and we were actually "there" they'd be making sounds and signs that are alien to the English-speaking ear.

--M
Image Image

Joost

Post by Joost » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:17 am

This is some awesome comic, I'll be are regular visitor of the fablewood website! Cant' wait so see the rest of the anthology.

marooned

Post by marooned » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:25 pm

I like the character design of those....characters. I'm not sure what they are! But it's cool looking. I've been wondering about this since I heard about it awhile back. I'll be checking it out.
Marooned - A Space Opera in the Wrong Key!
http://www.maroonedcomic.com/