New Story: Living with Ape

Post comics.
J-Minter

New Story: Living with Ape

Post by J-Minter » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:26 pm

I've been in the progress of writing a new piece called "Living with Ape." It focuses on a young man with severe OCD and minor ADHD, and a young woman named April. I've considered drawing some of it myself, but I am still looking for an artist if it ever gets off the ground. Here's a rough I did on one of the panels during work (all cruddy mechanical pencil). Feedback welcome.

A lot of the stuff here looks more professional than any of my artwork, but it would be nice to get the story out. Will post more as it comes along.

"Religion is not the opiate of the masses, religion is the placebo of the masses."

--House

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:55 pm

I don't know what your expectations may be for this, but for my part, there's something I find strangely compelling about this single page. I mean, it's not the most technically correct execution, but that works to its advantage - the prose is very strong and almost stands alone as a sort of non-sequitur, or a piece of a poem. And the art has a kind of looseness and simplicity that suits that. To be honest I'd almost be sorry to see it have more attached to it since it stands as a single-page piece of art extremely well, a sort of disjointed moment that I think is pretty remarkable. Had you considered that?

And by the way, "professionalism" in art is entirely relative. We all have someone else we think is a bijillion times better than we are. Don't let that stop you, I say - there's the beginnings of something really unique in this and I, personally, would like to see more.

--M

J-Minter

Re: New Story: Living with Ape

Post by J-Minter » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Geez, it has been a long time since I've updated this. I have been extremely busy and have completed scripting this story, and am in the process of doing the final illustrations and cleanups. The story and characters have evolved a little, but not too much. The character Boine carries into what will either be another story, or simply an addition to his own. This is the first completed version of a full page picture that closes part of the story. I personally like the angle, even though near the end it gave me a headache to draw. It's another bit that works alright as a disjointed moment. I'll post more not-so-rough's like these as much as I can, hopefully before another six or so months have passed.

"Religion is not the opiate of the masses, religion is the placebo of the masses."

--House