Nomad Tofu! (a webcomic)

Post comics.
Harry Myland (IV)

Nomad Tofu! (a webcomic)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:09 am

So, I've been holding off doing this because, well, I feel kinda dirty pimping my stuff on message boards, but the time has come I guess.

You may remember way back last year I started a webcomic called PUB (the thread might still even be on FLIGHT, I dunno). It lasted about 2 months going once a week before I crawled into a cave because it wasn't very good. I loved the concept, but the execution wasn't right - it didn't sing, if you will. So, basically, I took a year to get-better-as-an-artist and revamp the idea.

I started it again this past April, recently re-dubbing the strip NOMAD TOFU. It updates 3x a week in black and white and has yet to miss an installment.

The story follows a monster named Pub, who quite literally fell out of the sky. All he wants to do is mesh in with a crowd, but the dude is the epitome of bull-in-a-china-shop. It's Frankenstein meets the Muppets, with equal amounts of sci-fi and other stuff I like tossed in.

Below are some strips, check out the site to see everything else.

#001: Fallen From The Sky

#002: How Convenient

#003: Ahem

#008: The Chase

#009: How To Soothe a Slimy Giant

#013: Tuh-Duh

#016: The Stretchy Arm

#017: Spok!

#018: Rough Day

#021: Getting Stuff Is Sweet!

#025: Pulling Out

#026: Bad Call

Thanks for browsing! :)
NOMAD TOFU (updates M/W/F... it's about a goofy nomad who causes disaster everywhere he goes.)

geoff_sebesta

Post by geoff_sebesta » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:58 pm

the gag on 002 is undone because of a lack of establishing shots and the strong upward thrust of the first panel, which gives the impression of something erupting spontaneously and not that of something falling into goo. Perhaps a more realistic splash and some sort of establishing/falling panel would help.

008 love the octopoid.

009 not sure what's going on here but awww.

This is very cute/mysterious stuff.

Harry Myland (IV)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:27 pm

First off thanks for responding! I was nervous as the day went on that I was gonna get completely overlooked, which is like, the worst possible feedback you can get. Building up the nerve to post stuff and then have no one even give a second glance is so disheartening, so, thanks!

As for your crits, they're completely valid. I'll say what my thought process was behind them, but you're right, I've definitely made some strips that make more sense to me because I have all the keys, sorta speak, than the reader. Definitely something I hope to improve on as I go, but anyway.

#002: I've been writing these strips in 3 page chunks. Like, Monday starts something, Wednesday continues it and tosses in a problem, Friday resolves it and we move on to the next bit. So, strip 1, panel 4 is supposed to set up strip 2, panel 1. The POOM is Pub falling into the ground (not goo, but I can see the confusion now), and then Herb (the furry dude) notices the sudden hole and seizes the opportunity to uh, take a dump. Then #003 sorts that out.

#009: They've been caught by Barbra, Herb soothes her by clapping a musical rhythm. Music slays the savage beast, and stuff.

Though I mean, the fact that I have to explain any of this means that I haven't quite done my job right, so I'll make sure to keep an extra eye on that in the future. Thanks :)
NOMAD TOFU (updates M/W/F... it's about a goofy nomad who causes disaster everywhere he goes.)

Harry Myland (IV)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:05 pm

Been awhile since the last post, wanted to update you folks as to where the strip has gone since. Including space! And wizard jokes! Thoughts are appreciated, thanks for your time.

#029: Maybe He's Okay... (... Or Not)

#030: Wizards Are Neat

#032: Try Faster!

#034: The Rocks, They're Melting

#035: Autosave

#036: They Got You, Barbra

#039: Anger Meets Resistance

#040: First Impressions