What makes a good cover?(update with thumbnail)

Post comics.
Steve LeCouilliard

What makes a good cover?(update with thumbnail)

Post by Steve LeCouilliard » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:04 pm

Hey guys! I'm getting ready to do the cover for book 2. I'm a little stumped on which direction to take, so I wanted to throw it out there. What kind of cover makes you want to read a comic book?

Here's my first cover for book 1.It got great reviews from most people. Ted Naifeh (Courtney Crumrin) said he thought it was a good cover because it tells a story in a single image.

Here's the cover of the book 2 preview:

And here's a few covers I've seen which I like. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Steve LeCouilliard on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agitainment

Post by agitainment » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:52 pm

Hey, Steve.

I really like the design of your cover to book 1. There's a great mood and deceptive simplicity to it, like a Charles Addams cartoon (always one of my favorites).

From a story perspective, as far as what makes it a good comic book cover, to me, it's all about capturing a single, clear moment of strong anticipation. I want to know how he's going to get out of the dilemma you've deftly conveyed.
Ex animo!
Rick

Agitainment.comics
http://agitainment.com/ics

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:51 am

I guess a good cover has clarity of negative space and design. I mean is it a clearly defined image with focus or a bunch of clutter?

Steve LeCouilliard

Post by Steve LeCouilliard » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:18 am

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not actually asking how to draw a cover. I can handle composition and layout and so-on. What I'm curious about is what makes you want to pick up a comic in the first place. I know it's different for everyone, but I'd like to hear various opinions.

Agitainment: Good answer. I had a few people on different forums say that they're attracted to a cover that makes them want to know what happens next. I've pretty much ruled out montage covers or a picture of a character in a cocky pose. Blech.

Steve

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:45 pm

I enjoy all sorts of covers depending on how it's done: simplistic, atmospheric, striking, stylistic... emotional, clear, focused. Of course the kind that I would want to pick up are the more interesting ones but in my opinion, the best kind of cover is the kind that best represents the book and what it's about.

msheean01

Post by msheean01 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:09 pm

From what I've read of the "Much" comic you posted, it reminds me a lot of "Bone" in the way it deals with some rather adult emotional situations with a very adept yet simplistic rendering style. The cover of Bone conveys a lot of that in that one image, and that made me want to read it. I saw something that was accessible and beautiful at the same time. Your stuff has more satirical leanings, I think, but your character doesn't just make me giggle. He's got some depth to him, I think, and it's not his clumsiness that is as interesting as his interactions with the society around him. I guess I'd want to see that conveyed more in a cover, because it would set your story apart as having something unique, and witty to say, which I think it does. The covers you have above are really cool, but they come off more cute to me than the story actually is, and end up selling it short.

Steve LeCouilliard

Post by Steve LeCouilliard » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:08 pm

Matt: First of all, thank you so much. That's enormously flattering. I always hope that readers get more than just a laugh from my strips. I do put a great deal of thought into the characters and their world, but it's often hard to know whether it's 'working'. Thanks for the validation.

You've provided me with quite a challenge. I'm going to go dig up some Bone covers to study and see if I can find that balance of immediacy and sophistication. Or maybe I'll just throw in some mild nudity. :lol:

Steve LeCouilliard

Post by Steve LeCouilliard » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:26 pm

Here's a quick thumbnail for one cover idea:

Steve LeCouilliard

Post by Steve LeCouilliard » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:26 pm

Thanks for all the advice and help guys! The final sketch is with Ted, my cover artist. I incorporated most of the suggestions I got.