One Swoop Fell - New Every Wednesday

Post comics.
DuttonArt

Post by DuttonArt » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:11 pm

Thanks so much for that crit. I really appreciate it and totally agreed. hehe, "lol kitty"... Just don't draw kitty emoticons....

I added the bounding lines and some landing clouds. I thought that last panel was awkward too, and yet I didn't think to add those. I have a lot to learn as far as taking advantage of the tools available in the comic language. :) Thanks!
-Mike

Okie Dokie

Post by Okie Dokie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:49 pm

This is adorable. I love your style.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:06 am

Whoa, these strips are excellent! Great work! :D

DuttonArt

Post by DuttonArt » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:48 am

Thanks, Okie Dokie!
And Kazu! Awesome to see you dropping by and saying nice things. :)

So I think I may have crammed too much into this one. I did the pencils, inks, and colors starting Tuesday morning, and finished up at 2:30 this Wednesday morning -- the resulting story is a small tribute to the Olympics... produced in Olympian fashion! .....kinda, sorta, not really... I just hope it'll look okay to me after some sleep. Which kinda, sorta, won't really be the case. :P

Thanks as always for looking and offering feedback.
-Mike

Noname the fox

Post by Noname the fox » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:01 am

This is just great, I love it, keep up the good work!

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:27 am

Yay for use of different font for effects! That drop shadow red is totally a 'boing!' font. The town is still gorgeous as always, and the dialogue is really fun to read. I can't really decide if the third panel is breaking Topo's character or adding to it, but it was so funny that I don't really care. The hop-swoop'n-skip panel sequence is a little cluttered, but it's cute, and surprisingly I ended up paying more attention to Topo's movement as opposed to Swoop's. I think it's because I like the development of the focus on Topo as he comes up the path.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:43 am

Your color selections on panel 7 are just wonderful. It really brings me into the scene. Great work!

DuttonArt

Post by DuttonArt » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:58 am

Here's the first one for September.

I had a great time drawing this one. Here are responses for last week's comic:

Dark, you're right, the sequence was cute but definitely a little cluttered. I think it'd probably look better animated.... of course, I'm sure a number of comic masters out there could easily prove me wrong. ;) Glad you got a kick out of the comic overall!

Kazu - Using color as a storytelling tool in comics is still new to me, so I was very much encouraged by your feedback.... especially since I really admire your palette in your comic work. Say, will you be at the Totoro Forest Project Auction (or Friday night artist mixer)? It'd be great to meet!

And hi Noname - I really enjoyed your "woke up on the moon again" story from a few weeks ago. Good to see you here!
-Mike

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:14 pm

:shock: That fish boat just rocked my world! The shading, the color, the wood texture, and the freaking peeling paint! I want to see some more storyline, but my gosh this page will probably do me for a good long while. Though, what's with the random prop-room drama mask? Any significance I'm missing or is it just eye candy?

willmj

Post by willmj » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:26 am

This so cool... Don't worry about the pacing it feels spot on. I'm so loving your fish boat! If I could fav a comic on this forum this would be right up there! Big Claps From Wales :)

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:41 pm

I just got on board. This is great! Especially the fish ship.
I keep a sketchblog here

Biocreep

Post by Biocreep » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:35 am

hahaha that last one is great! These are really nicely done!

DuttonArt

Week Eight: Worse, Worst, and Worcestershire Sauce

Post by DuttonArt » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:35 am

Responses:

Hey Dark - The peeling paint was my favorite part. :) The costume does symbolize something, which I'd like to leave up to the reader. The practical use of it will come up later in the story, I'm sure.

Will - Glad you like it! I will be updating soon with all the voting links, but for now I'm happy to hear big claps from Wales. :) Equally Big Claps from California on your story as well!!

Squirpy - Welcome aboard. :)

Biocreep - Hi Mike, thanks!
-Mike

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:16 pm

That's one eeeevil [yet non-threatening] bird eating fish!

Sanaril

Post by Sanaril » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:19 am

The fishboat is just gorgeous! I think the reveal in the last panel (of Swoop on the sign) would have even more impact if you widened the shot a little to include the bear looking quizically up at him.
I have to go check out the site now as this is just getting better and better (all the parts with out the humans are just stand out, I love the interaction of these two!) I shall have to link to you on my comic (I just started one as well so now I can link :) http://dooomcat.com/wp/