Alfonse & Domingo!

Post comics.
willmj

Post by willmj » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:22 am

Your line work is really quite breathtaking. I really love the Manta he's a great sidekick. All good stories need a good sidekick. I have a 4 year daughter and I'm exposed to a lot of Disney princess stuff that I feel your work fits really well into this genre... Big claps and much respect from Wales :)

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:37 am

;) We weren't lying about wanting to read more, keep them coming! I think that after seeing the comic in it's line form without the color I appreciate it a lot more. It's not a bad thing but I think what gets me is the fact that there's so many lines and so much busyness from panel to panel that I don't have time to appreciate it as I want to read more of the story.

So I figure, why not read the pages twice? Once for the story, twice for the artwork, and I must say that I enjoy reading it much better that way; even moreso when I take the image itself and view it in a blank window. I certainly appreciate how much detail you put into the models and the background action though, down to the smallest freckle (even if that's not my preferred style, like I said; there are plenty of other artists that do this too, it's not just you, so don't take it as discouragement), and it's really fun to look at from an artistic standpoint. I would definitely buy this in book form.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:22 pm

Very sweet and high-larious! The things us guys get into in order to impress the girl of our dreams!

I like how it was all sweet and flowery and then just "Oh crap!"

I know how much hard work it is to make an experience that lasts only a few seconds. Awesome work.

anthony

Post by anthony » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:51 am

what a fun world! very strong on many aspects: color, line, composition... you are a comics monster! there seems to be something special going on in the first panel where you take the linework away between areas in the coloring where there's lots of contrast in temperature or value (ie at the edge of the sphere-house and its BG). i really like that and suggest that you implement it more often throughout your comic to give your aesthetic a subtle boost (like when we see the girl for the first time - see what happens if you tone down her contour-lines). otherwise - f*ck, dood! good show!

NicholasKole

Post by NicholasKole » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:43 am

Hey guys! Thanks for all the feedback, it's very good to hear and useful too! I Just edited the first 5 pages...some of the color on pages 4 and 5 was driving me NUTS, so I fixed it up! Check it out and let me know what you think!

Og - glad you like it! Thanks!

Thirdeyeh - proud to be the recipient of such an enthusiastic high five! With the lineart, I'm not lowering the opacity, but rather I'm coloring the lines so I have more control than just low opacity...there's a tutorial by my good friend Claire Hummel up here
That's the method I use...there are a variety of ways you can do this, but I think once you get the hang of it, this one's the best.

Willmj - I am very complimented by Disney (even disney princess :p) comparisons! I love Disney :) Thanks for the kind words!

Dark77778 - Glad you're still reading! I'm glad you're liking the lineart :) I do hear you on the busy-ness of the linework cluttering things up sometimes, and it's something I'm making a personal goal...to figure out how to mesh the linework with my color work. (it was much worse before I started coloring my lines!) Glad to have your support and critique!

Andrewwales - Thanks! I'm glad you like it...and if I can get a chuckle from someone by page 10, then the work is worth it! I'm happy you were amused :)

Anthony - I really like what I've seen so far of your work, so I'm really glad you're into AnD! I went in just now and took your advice on the panel where Alfonse sees Isabelle...and I'm glad I did! Thanks for the tip!

Lastly, just a little silly something (since it's related, I thought it would be cool to post it here, if not, let me know!)...I've been toying with the idea of doing a few flashbacks to the kids' past when they all got along...so while I was thinking about it I doodled up even younger versions of the cast...thought they were kind of cute, so here you go:

There are some more sketches up on my blog if you're interested!

Anyways, Enjoy!
-Nick
Last edited by NicholasKole on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:56 am

Good sketches. I could totally see this as a Disney movie.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:40 pm

Heh, same once your line style improves ;)

pH

Post by pH » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:08 pm

Colors look amazing, and I'm excited about the story too. Great job.

inverce

Post by inverce » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:39 pm

I'm new on this forum so pardon me if i'm behind on posting but... Wow! I love your drawing style and the line work is astounding. For the first time i find myself checking out the art first then going back to read- I'm always the other way around! What do you ink with? Well i'm about to check out your blog, maybe i'll find the answer there. :D

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:23 pm

Oh man I just sat down and learned that line art coloring process and I am kicking myself for not having learned this yet. Thanks for the link. I look forward to implementing it.

NicholasKole

Post by NicholasKole » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:03 am

I've been traveling, so there hasn't been much in the way of work on AnD recently :( School looms and soon there may be opportunities to bend assignments to serve my will :p

Thanks Ph!

Inverce - Thank you! It's nice to hear the effort is appreciated :) I ink with a Nikko G-nib, which I discovered this Winter on the reccomendation of friends and professors...it's a really nice nib that's very versatile and very resilient, only easily available in Japan or at certain stores around here. I ordered a bunch from here (second item) and have been thoroughly pleased with the result. I highly recommend them!

Thirdeyeh - glad to help, dude! Good luck on the coloring, I look forward to seeing how FDTN benefits :)

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:51 am

Don't be sorry for traveling except for the fact that you didn't take any of us along :P Hope you're having fun at least.

inverce

Post by inverce » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:48 pm

nibs- I should check those out! I've been between staedtler pigment liners and brush inking. still looking for my stride. Thanks for the link. Cant wait to see more of your work!

Sskessa

Post by Sskessa » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:42 pm

Very nice color palette. Those are actually some of my favorite colors combinations. Your drawing is just great. I like the flying manta ray a lot. And it doesn't hurt to have a half-naked boy on page 1, either :3

I don't know if this is done around here, but I'd like to give some critique on your writing. The scene where you have all 3 young people interacting, I had a problem with. First, I thought there's no way that Isabelle could actually believe Alphonse when he says he's going to take back her father's ship. The audience knows he's just trying to impress her, and she knows that Raoul is just trying to impress her, so how could she possibly think Alphonse isn't doing just that same? Maybe there's something in the past that you're going to reveal later, but at this point in the story I don't understand why she favors one boy over the other, when they're both acting pretty much the same.

Anyway, can't wait to see more pages!

Mathias

Post by Mathias » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:09 am

Like so many before me have said, your artwork is very beautifull and the world you have created with it seems living and breathing - that makes me want to see more of this.