Alfonse & Domingo!

Post comics.
NicholasKole

Alfonse & Domingo!

Post by NicholasKole » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:12 am

Hi Everyone!
I'm very new to these forums, but I've been watching and have seen some awesome work going on around here! I've been working on a personal project of my own, and I thought this would be a great place to share it and hear some feedback and just get it out there, so here's the first five pages of Alfonse & Domingo! It's still developing, I've got 5 more penciled pages but not much time between school assignments and freelance, so we'll see how quickly! I'm still figuring out how to upload around here, so bear with me! (edit: resized on request!) (edit again: fixed some of the color things that were driving me CRAZY, especially on page 5!)
Enjoy!

Last edited by NicholasKole on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:40 am

I don't much care for the line style because it's a little too exessive for me at points, but the coloring and modles are great. I'd really like to read more of this...even if just for the artwork :D .

^^; Umm, just a note though, on the image of Domingo taking off, there's a depth/shading issue with his mouth that makes it seem like it's portruding instead of being deep and inside of him. I was a little distracted after that though because of my favorite panel being right below it. That's where I actually love your use of lines because it's just right.

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:31 am

I like the line style, and I really love the colors.

Plus, when I was little, I always used to want to fly on a manta ray :)
I keep a sketchblog here

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:44 pm

Whoa! Very nice indeed. I love the style and the story read beautifully. Awesome work. Makes me jealous. lol.

Okie Dokie

Post by Okie Dokie » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:16 pm

I love the bright colors, they really suit the art. And I agree that the manta ray is awesome. Perhaps if you rezise the pages in a smaller format it will read much better in here.

NicholasKole

Post by NicholasKole » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:41 pm

Thanks guys! Glad for the feedback!

dark: with the lineart, I guess I'm still finding the perfect fit and I suppose you can't please everyone. I'll look into fixing Domingo's mouth!

squirpy: thanks! It's nice to know I've tapped a mutual childhood fantasy :)

thirdeye: shucks, man, thanks! I wouldn't be too jealous, though...I really like what you've got started with From Death Til Now.

Okie: thanks for the kind words, I resized the pages a bit so hopefully they're an easier read and a timelier download :)

Also: I just finished this little Alfonse & Domingo pinup for a friend and rockin comic artist Sindy Limin (check her stuff out!) and thought it might be cool to post here:

Scruffy

Domingo

Post by Scruffy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:05 pm

Well, I think it's all pretty flippin' wonderful. Love the linework and the modeling - the colors are superb and the well-thought-out details really make the place feel solid.

Nice work!

-Scruffy

JakeKalsbeek

Post by JakeKalsbeek » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:48 pm

Great I want to see more! I loved the style. It feels kind of European with a subtle Japanese influence thrown in, but that's just what I see. (Sorry I don't know where RISD is.)

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:48 pm

NicholasKole wrote: dark: with the lineart, I guess I'm still finding the perfect fit and I suppose you can't please everyone. I'll look into fixing Domingo's mouth!
Heh, I know I'm kinda picky with lines, but I'm sure you'll find something great, and even if I don't like that I'll probably read it anyways if the storyline and colors work, which they do. Keep 'em coming! :D

matthewart

Post by matthewart » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:25 pm

that was super cool. niiice fantasy world. really solid art skill you have there...

Hurry up and do the next five pages! This is going to rock.

flawless victory
[email protected]

"We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams" ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:40 am

nice work! love the colors especially. can't wait to read more!

Sanaril

Post by Sanaril » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:54 pm

Beautiful, and I certainly haven't seen anything quite like it before :) Nice idea with the ray! This isn't funny but it reminded me of a story I saw once about flying rays colliding with boaters in Florida. These things just go so fast that one such collision was actually fatal!

NicholasKole

more!

Post by NicholasKole » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:33 pm

Hey all!
Well, I hope you weren't lying about wanting to see more, because...here's more! I got some time to myself to ink through the next five pages of the story...it's just the lineart and no color yet, but I figured I needed to focus on moving the story forward and worry about the color later, although the color will be important, since it's definitely inked for color. And I know, I'm no letterer :/

Scruffy- thanks! I've never had anything described as "flippin'"-anything before, I'll take it as a good sign :)

Jake - Wish granted! Thanks, and it's funny you mention the European influence, because I'm an American citizen, but I've been living in Europe for half my life! RISD's in Rhode Island, so I'm studying in the states now, but I guess you can't shake your roots.

Dark - sorry, man...more lines ;)

Matt - Idunno about flawless, but thanks a lot!

Cow - thanks! colors coming, I hope! :p

Sanaril - thank you! That's so bizarre about the rays, they're generally so docile. I hear mantas can get pretty huge, actually...17-ft from tip to tip...in the water they're beatiful, but they'd be totally terrifying.

Without further ado, the art:

Og

Post by Og » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:21 pm

You can't please everyone - I LOVE the line work. I wouldn't change a hair.

Stuff looks great, love the color, love the character design.

Geez, it's awesome!

-Og
ImageImage

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:42 pm

sigh.... high five... High FIVE!!!

Question: How are you achieving such a seemless look with your ink work and the colors? Are you lowering the opacity one ink layers in Photoshop?