Studio Dooomcat - Bear Nuts from 01/16/2009

Post comics.
Sanaril

Studio Dooomcat - Bear Nuts from 01/16/2009

Post by Sanaril » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:55 am

Hi Flight peoples! I wanted to post some comics, old and new, that I've done... starting with new. 'Bear Nuts' is a comic I do for fun in my spare time because it's completely the opposite of my work for hire stuff (that way even my spare time doodling can be productive :)
I'd like to turn it into a web comic at some point but I'm not very adept at the 'web' part! For now I'll probably post some of the pages on my deviant account ( www.sanaril.deviantart.com ) but does anyone know of or can recommend good web comic hosting sites, especially considering the not the norm page layout?

Last edited by Sanaril on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:01 am, edited 6 times in total.

tpiro

Post by tpiro » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:38 pm

I'm not seeing the first page.

Sanaril

Post by Sanaril » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:07 pm

I'm not sure why, but re-uploaded :)

Seth Wolfshorndl

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:05 am

You seem like a very natural cartoonist. Great expressions and character design.

Your format is perfect for the web. Fits browsers well. As for hosts, there are those like comicgenesis.com and drunkduck.com, but a lot of people are using Wordpress with Comicpress on their own sites. That's what I'll be switching to soon.

Good luck!

-Seth
Image Image

Okie Dokie

Post by Okie Dokie » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:03 am

They are like care bears on crack. Love them.
I started using drunkduck too, but only for exposure. the site's design just sucks.

JakeKalsbeek

Post by JakeKalsbeek » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:00 pm

So cute yet so inappropriate. Nice combination.

I prefer to keep all my work on one site that I control. That doesn't mean I don't post it to other sites too, but if someone is interested in my art I want them to have one place where they can see everything and not have to jump around from site to site. I'm not a professional cartoonist but I want it easy as possible for prospective clients/employers to see all the art stuff I do.

Sanaril

Post by Sanaril » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:11 pm

Thanks for the info guys, we checked out comicpress and it looks promising, confusing, but promising :) And now some OLD work for fun; I like to go back and revisit stuff and see what I do so much better now and notice stuff that I still do wrong. This was an xmas present for a friend from work (I teach jiu-jitsu hence the asian theme) so it's full of inside jokes and etc. and I did it really quickly so some of the panel flow is majorly disjointed, but I had a great time with this story and I want to re-do it in a more finished way some day :)

Sanaril

Post by Sanaril » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:42 am

More random comics :D
This is the character I swiped my username from here on the boards with a random interlude kind of comic I did for an OC battle.

Og

Post by Og » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:03 am

Wow, Sanaril. Pretty versatile. Lots of different stuff here... I almost wish they were in different threads so you can get feedback on all fairly.

I like the Care Bears on Crack and the Japanese one most of all - those two seem to have the most confident art - but they all have their charm.

And WordPress and ComicPress is a good way to go...
ImageImage

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:14 pm

All good stuff here....i love it!
Chad Townsend

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:44 pm

That last color illustration was beautiful and I liked the comic that followed. It looks like the kind of manga my daughter loves.

Sanaril

Post by Sanaril » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Thanks Og! I thought I'd keep everything in one thread so I don't clutter up the forum :)

Thank you Chad! Much appreciated!

Andrewwales: That's a great compliment indeed! I was a manga fan when I was younger (now I'm a comics in general fan) so that's wonderful to me as I grew up wanting to draw just like the stuff I loved to read :)

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:53 pm

What we experience great joy with as young children really marks us. I cut my teeth on Mad magazine. I grew up wanting to be one of the "Usual Gang of Idiots" who drew for Mad.

NicholasKole

Post by NicholasKole » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:25 am

I like the latest addition...it's great fun :) I do agree with Og, that the last one just doesn't seem as confident as the other two. I think that's the perfect way to characterize it. There are some moments where it just *works*
Actually, it's not a huge deal, but on the latest comic the creature design seems to be where you loose confidence. The werewolf just isn't a convincing as San or her little morphing-fox-thingie is.
But the panels where the little guy wakes up in the saddle...and especially the panel with "san! it's not real"...those seem much more confidently done. I want to read more and see where it goes from here!

Sanaril

Post by Sanaril » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:38 am

Something quick and dirty for fun :)
Our Melee images featuring little guys like these tend to sell well at cons so I'm thinking of possibly doing a small anthology about them in this kind of format.