inverce

Post by inverce » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:28 pm

Memorial day is my favorite

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:34 pm

Thanks, Inverse.

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:58 pm

This week's prompt is, “The man spasmed against the snow. 'Gods, no! No! No sorcery'—'Hold him,' I said calmly, as he tried to leap up and run."

I had to cheat a little to make the scene fit my story.

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:45 am

Our challenge this week is to illustrate this line: "The old man felt a tendril of anger rising."

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:04 pm

This week's ABC Challenge from the Gurney Journey is to look at a real business card and imagine what the business owner(s) are like:

This business card:

...inspired this comic:

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:08 pm

An extra comic to fill in the blanks of some of the others.

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:10 am

"She was stiff and clumsy with rage. White-blonde hair spilled free of its sheer silken covering, tumbling past slender shoulders clad in slate grey velvet. Her gown was torn and…"

That's our prompt this week at the ABC Challenge. That science fiction excerpt inspired this comic:

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:41 pm

For those of you late to the party, this is how this works -- The ABC Challenge (Art by Committee) is a sketch game run by artist James Gurney. Once a month he posts a random line from a science fiction novel. The challenge to participants is to illustrate that line however we see it. We do not know the novel or the context of the line. I always choose to make a page or so of comics. I'm trying to piece them all together into a long form comic story. Eventually the whole story will be told in the pages of Eclectic Comics, the comic book I publish.

The line to illustrate this time was: “I should stay here and keep an eye out.” I cheated a little, but I'm like that.

This segment of the story introduces two new characters. The previous actions of our hero, The Mighty Andar have also caused two other imprisoned superheroes to regain their powers. For sketches and background info, visit http://andrewwales.blogspot.com/2009/02 ... -back.html

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:02 pm

This is my entry for this month's Art by Committee challenge. The assignment this time is to draw our interpretation of this following quote -- an actual excerpt from a science fiction novel:

"I lashed out with my left arm, clutched something thin and hard, tore at it; the next second a banana tree fell across my chest. But the pain was..."

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:13 am

“Behind the bar, polishing four glasses at the same time with his blue tentacles, was the Tookah. Two of his three eyes didn’t bother to look up, but it was the third one, the upper eye, the sleepy one that appears bored by everything but never misses anything. That one sleepily looked over at me and then blinked and opened wide.”

This was the quote we were assigned to illustrate for the latest challenge at Art by Committee.
I chose to put the scene within the context of a story I'm doing. In case you came in late, The Mighty Andar has been deprived of his powers, beaten and abused and locked up in an alien prison. Now he's got his powers back and has a score to settle with some prison guards.

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:21 pm

Our challenge this month is to illustrate this quote:

“The harper began to sing. His deep voice was fine and sweet, eloquently expressing his intent. He sang of the bitterness of defeat and the gut-wrenching carnage of war. He sang of boys…”

Below is the comic strip I made in response to that prompt:

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:31 pm

This month's ABC Challenge is to somehow use the business card above as inspiration for a work of art. To me, it led to the origin of Clipboard Girl, one of the characters in my comics.

andrewwales

Re: Art by Committee

Post by andrewwales » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:43 am

The Art by Committee challenge is a sketch game I play each month. It's sponsored by the Gurney Journey, and I just figured out that this is my 20th challenge. My responses to these challenges have generated 40 pages of comics.

As an experiment, what I've been doing, is trying to make as many of the prompts as I can go into the same story. By jumping around a lot, I can make a lot of them fit. As it turns out, the two pages I made for this month's challenge flows nicely into the very first one I did! Because it makes a nice punchline, I'm reprinting it at the bottom of this post.

Eventually, they'll all appear in an issue of Eclectic Comics.

Anyway, this month's challenge was to interpret this random, out of context line from a science fiction novel:

“But when the dots did not vanish even after he scrubbed his fists across his eyes three times, he shouted hoarsely…”

Here we go!

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:32 pm

Our quote for this month is,

And here is my solution

andrewwales

Post by andrewwales » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:40 pm

This month's prompt:

"He stood and held his arms out before him, pulling the chains taut. The muscles in his shoulders and chest bunched, standing out in sharp relief, and a moment later, the chains snapped clearly."