Practice Comic-CC's welcome! - Updated 5/9

Post comics.
RocknOats

Practice Comic-CC's welcome! - Updated 5/9

Post by RocknOats » Mon May 05, 2008 9:51 am

Hi everybody, long time no write. I've been busily working and schooling, and since hours of planning and scripting and character development have produced no physical pages, I decided to take the an idea that popped into my head one morning and just draw it out. I've done two pages of pencils, in my sketchbook, without the benefits of rulers, rules, planning or plot and it's some of the most satisfying stuff I've done. Apparently, I need to work from the seat of my pants, I seem to paralyze myself with "Doing It Right" when I should just be doing it. Well, here are those two pages, with text written in. Next I'm going to continue with new pages, ink and color these pages (by hand!) and see what happens. The story doesn't necessarily go anywhere, but I don't care, at least I'm being productive and I can always use it for a portfolio. I will post them again when I finish the inks.

Enjoy!

Last edited by RocknOats on Fri May 09, 2008 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

KidVideo

Post by KidVideo » Mon May 05, 2008 12:47 pm

whoa, pretty sweet.

angry_black_guy

Post by angry_black_guy » Mon May 05, 2008 11:35 pm

The amount of detail in the first panel is pretty stunning. What kind of tool are you using to ink it? The line work is too precise to be a brush and looks like a pen nib (although judging by the smudges you probably scanned it and darkened the pencils).

My only major critique is on the black haired guys walking pose. Normally when you walk you shift the weight on the leg you step with. Instead, he's turning against his momentum. I just tried to walk like him and almost toppled over so you might want to reverse the swing of his shoulders.

RocknOats

Post by RocknOats » Tue May 06, 2008 11:12 am

angry_black_guy wrote: My only major critique is on the black haired guys walking pose. Normally when you walk you shift the weight on the leg you step with. Instead, he's turning against his momentum. I just tried to walk like him and almost toppled over so you might want to reverse the swing of his shoulders.
YIKES! You're right! Ok, I will fix that before inks, thanks Angry! Also, this is only pencils at this point, I used the blues just when my first normal pencil attempt goes awry.

RocknOats

Post by RocknOats » Fri May 09, 2008 7:14 am

HI everybody, I went ahead and inked the first page, after fixing his shoulders of course.

Enjoy!